Can I import half translated file into MQ and merge it with an active document in MQ ?
Thread poster: YL2017
YL2017
YL2017  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 04:55
Chinese to English
+ ...
Dec 3, 2019

Hi everyone,
I came accross this situation when I have a part of the target text translated in word docx and the other part translated in memoQ, so I wonder whether it's possible to import the docx into MQ and merge it with the half that has been translated in MQ into 1 document?
I tried reimport but it ended up putting the translation from the external word document as part of the source text.
By the way, it's MemoQ 8.7 I've been working with.
Hopefully someone can help
... See more
Hi everyone,
I came accross this situation when I have a part of the target text translated in word docx and the other part translated in memoQ, so I wonder whether it's possible to import the docx into MQ and merge it with the half that has been translated in MQ into 1 document?
I tried reimport but it ended up putting the translation from the external word document as part of the source text.
By the way, it's MemoQ 8.7 I've been working with.
Hopefully someone can help me figure this out and thank you in advance!
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:55
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@YL2017 Dec 3, 2019

YL2017 wrote:
I have a part of the target text translated in a DOCX file and the other part translated in MemoQ. I wonder whether it's possible to import the DOCX into MemoQ and merge it with the half that has been translated in MemoQ?

Do you have the source text that the DOCX translation was based on?

Do you mean that the entire source file is currently in MemoQ, and you have already translated one part of it in MemoQ, and have now received a DOCX file that contains another part of it, that was translated e.g. by someone else, and you want to put that translation into MemoQ?

YL2017

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Possible and easy. Dec 3, 2019

You can add a new document file (DOC, TXT, ODT etc. - depending on what formats MemoQ can process) to the existing project. So, the project will include 2 documents (files). When you open both documents at a time, you'll see them both in the sequence as in the list. The new document will be shown in the source column only (with target column empty) - no matter whether it's translated or not.

Now, you can copy the entire new source content to the target column and go on with
... See more
You can add a new document file (DOC, TXT, ODT etc. - depending on what formats MemoQ can process) to the existing project. So, the project will include 2 documents (files). When you open both documents at a time, you'll see them both in the sequence as in the list. The new document will be shown in the source column only (with target column empty) - no matter whether it's translated or not.

Now, you can copy the entire new source content to the target column and go on with your translation (adjust the terminology, style etc.) based on the existing TM, DB.

You can also use another TM and DB.

HTH

AM

Update: not sure if MQ can merge two (or all) files to make one target file. If not, you can do that simply after exporting the files to the final format (DOC, TXT, whatever).

[Zmieniono 2019-12-03 15:15 GMT]
Collapse

YL2017
Australia
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel Dec 5, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:

YL2017 wrote:
I have a part of the target text translated in a DOCX file and the other part translated in MemoQ. I wonder whether it's possible to import the DOCX into MemoQ and merge it with the half that has been translated in MemoQ?

Do you have the source text that the DOCX translation was based on?

Do you mean that the entire source file is currently in MemoQ, and you have already translated one part of it in MemoQ, and have now received a DOCX file that contains another part of it, that was translated e.g. by someone else, and you want to put that translation into MemoQ?

Yes, the situation is pretty much what you've described, and i prefer to handle the text in MQ rather than exporting the part I've translated and copy-paste it into word.....any suggestions?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@YL2017 Dec 5, 2019

YL2017 wrote:
Yes, the situation is pretty much what you've described...

Well, I don't really use MemoQ myself, so I don't know what it can do, but I was under the impression that there is a "retrofit" feature in MemoQ that will allow you to do this: create a new dummy project, put the original source text in it, copy source to target for all segments, then "import" the partially translated file into it, then remove the target text for all segments that were not imported or not imported properly, and then add the remaining segments to a new TM. And then use that new TM in the project that you were working on.

The alternative is to align the source text of the translated parts of the Word file with the translated Word file, but I'm not sure if MemoQ has an aligner built in, or if you need to use a separate program (e.g. LF Aligner).

[As you may have discovered, the MemoQ help pages were apparently designed so that they would be be indexed by Google in ways that are not useful to translators, and the MemoQ people chose to almost never mention on their help pages to which version of MemoQ the instructions relate.]

YL2017
Australia
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel Dec 5, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:

YL2017 wrote:
Yes, the situation is pretty much what you've described...

Well, I don't really use MemoQ myself, so I don't know what it can do, but I was under the impression that there is a "retrofit" feature in MemoQ that will allow you to do this: create a new dummy project, put the original source text in it, copy source to target for all segments, then "import" the partially translated file into it, then remove the target text for all segments that were not imported or not imported properly, and then add the remaining segments to a new TM. And then use that new TM in the project that you were working on.

The alternative is to align the source text of the translated parts of the Word file with the translated Word file, but I'm not sure if MemoQ has an aligner built in, or if you need to use a separate program (e.g. LF Aligner).

[As you may have discovered, the MemoQ help pages were apparently designed so that they would be be indexed by Google in ways that are not useful to translators, and the MemoQ people chose to almost never mention on their help pages to which version of MemoQ the instructions relate.]
I see, thanks for the advice!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I import half translated file into MQ and merge it with an active document in MQ ?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »