Thread poster: Veronika Hoffmann
Veronika Hoffmann
Veronika Hoffmann
Germany
Local time: 13:21
English to German
Dec 6, 2019

Hello!

I used to be able to automatically insert tags around terms in memoQ by highlighting a term and pressing F9. Lately when doing that it simply replaces the highlighted term with a tag. Does anyone know how I can change that? Or did this change occur with a new update? I'm currently on version 8.7.17 after updating from an older version a few weeks ago.

Anna Kiss
Anna Kiss  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Ctrl + F9? Jan 29, 2020

Hi, I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but if you press Ctrl+F9 with the cursor at the place where the tag should be, it'll show you the tag options and then by hitting Enter you can insert the tag you want. Hope this helps

[Edited at 2020-01-29 17:26 GMT]

Veronika Hoffmann
Veronika Hoffmann
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Not working Jan 30, 2020

Thanks for your reply, Anna. Ctrl+F9 doesn't work for me.

I'm confused now - I have 9.1.8 at home and now it seems to work - you can highlight words and if you then press F9 it will automatically put tags that word it. (See a demonstration here.) At work I have 9.2 and it doesn't work. Then again, the tags at work are red, not dark blue, so maybe it only works with norma
... See more
Thanks for your reply, Anna. Ctrl+F9 doesn't work for me.

I'm confused now - I have 9.1.8 at home and now it seems to work - you can highlight words and if you then press F9 it will automatically put tags that word it. (See a demonstration here.) At work I have 9.2 and it doesn't work. Then again, the tags at work are red, not dark blue, so maybe it only works with normal tags and not special tags? I guess either that or it depends on the version.
Collapse

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
This can only work with open-close tags Jan 30, 2020

I believe this depends on the kind of tags you have. When you have open and close tags before and after a word, MemoQ can recognize that one tag belongs before the word and the other behind the word when you hit F9 on a highlighted word. But when you have empty tags, MemoQ simply will insert them in sequence, and if you highlight a word and press F9, MemoQ cannot decide where the next tag belongs, therefore nothing happens. (With Ctrl-F9 you can edit a tag and see if it is an "open", a "close" o... See more
I believe this depends on the kind of tags you have. When you have open and close tags before and after a word, MemoQ can recognize that one tag belongs before the word and the other behind the word when you hit F9 on a highlighted word. But when you have empty tags, MemoQ simply will insert them in sequence, and if you highlight a word and press F9, MemoQ cannot decide where the next tag belongs, therefore nothing happens. (With Ctrl-F9 you can edit a tag and see if it is an "open", a "close" or an "empty" tag.)Collapse

Veronika Hoffmann
Veronika Hoffmann
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Ah, that explains it! Jan 30, 2020

Ah, thanks Kay, that would explain it! Thank you both for your help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ: Inserting tags around a term

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »