Thread poster: espoir03
espoir03
espoir03
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
Dec 10, 2019

Hello,

I have moved memoQ project folder to a new PC but it looks transfer was not properly done and I received error messages.
Could you let me know what is wrong?
This is what I did:
1. Navigate to "C:\Users\%username%\Documents\My memoQ projects" folder on old computer and simply copy the project's folders to new computer into the same folder.
2. Navigate to the same folder (C:\Users\%username%\Documents\My memoQ projects) on my new computer and open the p
... See more
Hello,

I have moved memoQ project folder to a new PC but it looks transfer was not properly done and I received error messages.
Could you let me know what is wrong?
This is what I did:
1. Navigate to "C:\Users\%username%\Documents\My memoQ projects" folder on old computer and simply copy the project's folders to new computer into the same folder.
2. Navigate to the same folder (C:\Users\%username%\Documents\My memoQ projects) on my new computer and open the project from memoQ.

I received these error messages.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Akiko
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:08
Danish to English
+ ...
Migration Dec 10, 2019

MemoQ (the company) provides no migration procedure. Another not very helpful aspect of the software.

But I have described the migration procedure I used at the URL below. It did work for me, but there is no guarantee it will work for everybody.

It's not enough just to copy the projects themselves. You also need the indexe
... See more
MemoQ (the company) provides no migration procedure. Another not very helpful aspect of the software.

But I have described the migration procedure I used at the URL below. It did work for me, but there is no guarantee it will work for everybody.

It's not enough just to copy the projects themselves. You also need the indexes and a lot more stuff.

https://www.proz.com/forum/memoq_support/329323-transferring_license_from_one_pc_to_another_one.html
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:08
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Reregister resources Dec 10, 2019

Since the error message relates to the term base and translation memories, you probably have to reregister them. To do this open the Resource console (icon on the left of the top window bar, looks like a little ring bound notebook) > Select Translation Memories > Click on Register Local > Navigate to the TM folder and open it > double-click on the .mtm file. Repeat for the Term Base and its .mtb file. Close the Resource console and the TM and TB should now appear as an available resource.
... See more
Since the error message relates to the term base and translation memories, you probably have to reregister them. To do this open the Resource console (icon on the left of the top window bar, looks like a little ring bound notebook) > Select Translation Memories > Click on Register Local > Navigate to the TM folder and open it > double-click on the .mtm file. Repeat for the Term Base and its .mtb file. Close the Resource console and the TM and TB should now appear as an available resource.

[Edited at 2019-12-10 14:33 GMT]
Collapse

laurgi
laurgi  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:08
German to French
back up/restore? Dec 10, 2019

Hello Aikiko
if you restore from back up (.mqbkf file), it should work fine. I always do so. You just have to choose wich ressource(s) you want to overwrite.

I hope, this helps
Laurent

[Modifié le 2019-12-11 09:32 GMT]

espoir03
espoir03
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Thomas Dec 10, 2019

Thank you for your information and link.
This is my first time transferring the project. Transferring the license was quite easy but project is not...
You are right about memoQ not being helpful...I always liked everything about memoQ but this is my first time I do not like.

espoir03
espoir03
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@John Dec 10, 2019

Many thanks.
I followed what you said but it looks like I did not move the resources (termbases, TM) properly because they did not show up.
I decided to try backup option. It looks easier.

espoir03
espoir03
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@laurgi Dec 10, 2019

Many thanks.
I decided to choose backup option because it looks easier....
I now finished backup process - how do I open them in new memoQ?

laurgi
German to French
Choose "restore" Dec 11, 2019

and the path on your disk.

espoir03
espoir03
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@laurgi Dec 11, 2019

Thanks so much! It was much easier than the method I tried.
I wonder why I did not choose this backup method....!

laurgi
German to French
You're welcome Dec 11, 2019

In fact, I don't know any other method

espoir03
espoir03
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@laurgi Dec 11, 2019

Before buying new PC, I contacted memoQ support and they told me there are 2 ways, which are 1) create a backup or 2) move the project's folder to a new computer and register.
For some reason I chose 2) and failed.
I should have chosen 1) from the beginning.
Proz is more helpful than memoQ support!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't open the transferred local projects on new computer

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »