Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
What is the best time of the year to buy MemoQ?
Thread poster: Suzanne Chabot
Suzanne Chabot
Suzanne Chabot
Local time: 02:39
Arabic to French
Jan 11, 2020

Hello,

I would like to buy MemoQ but my budget is very limited. What is the best time of the year to buy MemoQ?

Thank you for your suggestions

Suzanne Chabot

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:39
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Suzanne Jan 11, 2020

Suzanne Chabot wrote:

It is my understanding that a MemoQ license starts on the day that you buy it and stops 365 days later, so it doesn't matter exactly when in the year you buy it. Also, as long as you keep on paying the annual fee, you qualify for all updates and new versions. If you don't want to pay the annual fee, then you're stuck with the version that you bought, so you may wish to wait until a new major version is released, but... that is unlikely to happen for several years. Plus, MemoQ releases updates about once a month anyway. So, the best time of year to buy MemoQ is: any time.

Or you can check this page every now and then to see if there is a special offer on MemoQ:
https://www.proz.com/tgb/ (there isn't now)

Suzanne Chabot
Suzanne Chabot
Arabic to French
TOPIC STARTER
Is this so expensive! Jan 11, 2020

Hello

I thought that MemoQ was like SDL Trados Studio, you buy a license and you install it on your computer, and it is yours!

Do we have to pay for the software once a year? this incredible amount of $770 each year!

I am very shocked about it.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:39
Danish to English
+ ...
Promotions Jan 11, 2020

There are frequent promotions on CAT tools through various channels (Proz offers are not always the cheapest), so it would be silly to pay the full price if you are not in a hurry.

Samuel said, 'a MemoQ license starts on the day that you buy it and stops 365 days later'.

The licence doesn't expire. You can keep using the software in perpetuity, including any version released until the expiry date.

The expiry after 365 days applies to support and upgrades, w
... See more
There are frequent promotions on CAT tools through various channels (Proz offers are not always the cheapest), so it would be silly to pay the full price if you are not in a hurry.

Samuel said, 'a MemoQ license starts on the day that you buy it and stops 365 days later'.

The licence doesn't expire. You can keep using the software in perpetuity, including any version released until the expiry date.

The expiry after 365 days applies to support and upgrades, which are absolutely worth paying for in my opinion.

Samuel also said, 'If you don't want to pay the annual fee, then you're stuck with the version that you bought, so you may wish to wait until a new major version is released'.

But if you don't subscribe to the annual support and upgrade service, then MemoQ won't let you return to the fold without either paying for a brand-new full licence or back-paying the missed years of support and upgrade.

You can still report bugs even without a support subscription, but support staff do tend to be more responsive when you have a subscription.
Collapse

Ahmed Ahmed

Suzanne Chabot
Suzanne Chabot
Arabic to French
TOPIC STARTER
Is there is trick? Jan 11, 2020

Hello,

Ok, so, you can buy the software, but you cannot update it if you do not buy a year subscription?

When I try to buy it, it says $770. I suppose the subscription is included. How much it is for the subscription after that?

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:39
Danish to English
+ ...
No trick Jan 11, 2020

You get one year's subscription included in the initial licence.

In Europe, the annual subscription costs EUR 124. My initial licence cost EUR 419 in 2015. It was a promotion. All prices I have mentioned are exclusive of VAT.

Right, you cannot update it beyond what is included in your latest subscription. You don't get something for nothing.

If for example you have a subscription valid until 31 January 2020 and version XYZ is released in January 2020, and y
... See more
You get one year's subscription included in the initial licence.

In Europe, the annual subscription costs EUR 124. My initial licence cost EUR 419 in 2015. It was a promotion. All prices I have mentioned are exclusive of VAT.

Right, you cannot update it beyond what is included in your latest subscription. You don't get something for nothing.

If for example you have a subscription valid until 31 January 2020 and version XYZ is released in January 2020, and you then end your subscription, then you can still at any time install version XYZ on the number of devices included, also in the future, but you cannot install version XYZ+, version XYZ++, etc., released after January 2020 without a more recent subscription.

If a client provides you with a licence for server projects, then you can use the newest MemoQ version for such server projects but not local projects.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Clarifications Jan 11, 2020

Suzanne Chabot wrote:
I thought that MemoQ was like SDL Trados Studio, you buy a license and you install it on your computer, and it is yours!

With Trados and Memoq, whichever version of the software that you bought, remains yours forever and you can use it as long as you want. Trados offers free upgrades within the major version (e.g. if you bought Trados 2019, then all upgrades that are called "2019 service packs" are free). MemoQ offers free upgrades for 1 year. MemoQ releases a lot more upgrades than Trados, but if you don't pay for additional years, you can't use the newer versions that are released after the first year that you bought MemoQ.

Contrast that to e.g. Wordfast, where your license is for 3 years only (but it includes all upgrades), so you have to pay a renewal fee every 3 years.

Do we have to pay for the software once a year? This incredible amount of $770 each year!

If you want to continue to receive upgrades after the first year, you have to pay an upgrade fee every year that you want to receive upgrades. The upgrade fee is approximately 1/3 of the price that you paid for MemoQ initially. Thomas calls it a "subscription", but I prefer to think of it as an upgrade fee.

With Trados, you don't need to pay an upgrade fee every year. But if Trados releases a new major version (approximately every 2 years), then you have pay an upgrade fee to upgrade to the new major version. So, with Trados, the upgrade fee is a once-off fee that you pay when you upgrade to a major version, and with MemoQ the upgrade fee is spread evenly between the years between major versions.

You don't have to pay the upgrade fee with MemoQ if you don't want to.

Suzanne Chabot wrote:
OK, so, you can buy the software, but you cannot update it if you do not buy a year subscription? ... When I try to buy it, it says $770. I suppose the subscription is included. How much it is for the subscription after that?

If you want to think of MemoQ's upgrade pricing model as a "subscription", then yes, the first year's subscription is included in the initial price of $770. You'll notice when you try to buy it, it says "Support and maintenance until" and a date that is 365 days from now. That "maintenance" is the free upgrades. If you want upgrades after that, then you have to buy another year's worth of "maintenance", which is about 1/3 of $770 for each year that you buy it.

https://helpcenter.memoq.com/hc/en-us/articles/360010268680-Support-and-Maintenance

Thomas T. Frost wrote:
In Europe, the annual subscription costs EUR 124.

The maintenance fee is always 30% of the current list price (or 20% of the current list price if you bought MemoQ before March 2019). So, the current maintenance fee if you buy MemoQ today would be EUR 186 or $231.

Suzanne, this means that if you buy MemoQ now, for $770, and you want "free" upgrades after 11 January 2021, you would have to pay $231 per year after 11 January 2021. As Thomas indicated earlier, if you skip a year, and you then want upgrades again, then you have to also pay the skipped year's fee. Or, you can wait 4 years (i.e. 5 years after you bought MemoQ), by which time it would be cheaper to buy a new licence than to buy the past 4 years' maintenance fees.

[Edited at 2020-01-11 19:59 GMT]

Suzanne Chabot
Suzanne Chabot
Arabic to French
TOPIC STARTER
Too expensive for me Jan 11, 2020

Hello,

Thank you so much to every one of you for your answers! I really appreciate.

Unfortunately, this CAT tool is too expensive for me. I will stick with Trados studio who offer me a good price when I buy it from Egypt (the major updates cost me less than $100 and I can skip one update if I wish without any problem.)

I am very sorry about it, I would like to have MemoQ for many years, I hope one day they will give special prices for Third-word countries u
... See more
Hello,

Thank you so much to every one of you for your answers! I really appreciate.

Unfortunately, this CAT tool is too expensive for me. I will stick with Trados studio who offer me a good price when I buy it from Egypt (the major updates cost me less than $100 and I can skip one update if I wish without any problem.)

I am very sorry about it, I would like to have MemoQ for many years, I hope one day they will give special prices for Third-word countries users.

I hope this post will benefit other Proz users.

Best regards
Suzanne
Collapse

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Vu Nguyen

Laurent Mercky
Laurent Mercky
France
Chinese to French
+ ...
answer Jan 12, 2020

Hi
...when you got enough money to buy

Jean Dimitriadis
Suzanne Chabot

Suzanne Chabot
Suzanne Chabot
Arabic to French
TOPIC STARTER
Good advice Jan 12, 2020

Yes, good advice

...when I got enough money to buy

Because even if I buy it 30% off, I will still have to pay the subscription year after year to continue to use it

So it is not a good idea to buy it now. This is the conclusion.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Not understood Jan 14, 2020

Suzanne Chabot wrote:
...I will still have to pay the subscription year after year to continue to use it.

Not necessarily. Not having the latest version doesn't mean you can't use it. For example, I use Office 2010 and haven't upgraded to the latest version. The difference with MemoQ is that Office 2010 is still supported and receives updates, as opposed to MemoQ.
I've been using MemoQ 2013 (v6) since, well, 2013, and I have not paid anything more than the full license since then. Granted, I receive no update, but it doesn't affect me. I suspect any major version ends up pretty stable after one year of support, which you're entitled to, and glitches in functionality or performance are likely detected and fixed promptly.

I hear it's even compatible with Win10, so I will likely continue to use it after upgrading to Win10.

I came to v2013 because I had to move from my first 2008 version to the latest version for compatibility reasons. In this instance, I indeed had to pay 3 times the annual subscription/upgrade fee to catch up. It was still cheaper than buying a whole new licence.

If I wanted to remain up to date with MemoQ, I would have to pay €124 (or something like that) each year. But I don't like subscription models and prefer to upgrade when I feel like it and/or when I have no other option. If I can hold on to a version for more than 4 years, then owing MemoQ costs me less than €124/year.
Anyway, whatever my strategy (subscription or no subscription), MemoQ will never cost me more than ~€10/month.

Philippe

Suzanne Chabot

Suzanne Chabot
Suzanne Chabot
Arabic to French
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, but... Jan 14, 2020

Hello Philippe,

Yes, I understand, but, if you do not pay the subscription, when you are ready to upgrade (let say, after 4 years), they will not let you do so unless you pay back all the previous year subscriptions or you buy a brand new license! That is the problem. I am not ready to buy a completely new license every 4 years or so.

With Trados Studio, you can skip some updates without a problem. They may ask you for some more money if you skip more than 2 major updat
... See more
Hello Philippe,

Yes, I understand, but, if you do not pay the subscription, when you are ready to upgrade (let say, after 4 years), they will not let you do so unless you pay back all the previous year subscriptions or you buy a brand new license! That is the problem. I am not ready to buy a completely new license every 4 years or so.

With Trados Studio, you can skip some updates without a problem. They may ask you for some more money if you skip more than 2 major updates (there are 2 or 3 years between the major updates), but you never have to buy a completely new license again!

I understand your point, but it is still a very expensive choice. $770 divided by 4 years is around $190 a year, and the program will not be up to date during the last 3 years.
Collapse

Philippe Etienne

Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
Keep an eye on https://www.proz.com/tgb Jan 14, 2020

Keep an eye on https://www.proz.com/tgb and sign up to the mailing list to be notified when a memoQ TGB starts.

Regards,

Drew

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Suzanne Jan 14, 2020

Suzanne Chabot wrote:
With Trados Studio, you can skip some updates without a problem. They may ask you for some more money if you skip more than 2 major updates (there are 2 or 3 years between the major updates), but you never have to buy a completely new license again!

No, eventually if the time between your version and the current major version is too great, you'll have to pay the full price again.

Buy Trados 2019 new price: €555
Upgrade from Trados 2017: €168
Upgrade from Trados 2015: €243
Upgrade from Trados 2014: €555
Upgrade from Trados 2009: €555
Upgrade from Trados 2007: €555

So, to upgrade Trados from a version you bought in 2014 will cost you €555. It's still cheaper than MemoQ, but MemoQ's model is *that* unreasonable.

Suzanne Chabot

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Understood Jan 14, 2020

Suzanne Chabot wrote:

Hello Philippe,

I understand your point, but it is still a very expensive choice. $770 divided by 4 years is around $190 a year, and the program will not be up to date during the last 3 years.

Indeed. Both pricing models have their pros and cons. But now that Trados and MemoQ can be purchased at similar prices on TGB, I feel that software maintenance is more expensive with MemoQ. However, when I recently upgraded from Trados 2009 to version 2019, the only option was to purchase the full licence again. My previous version was far too old to be "worth" anything, although I had managed to upgrade at discounted prices since Trados 3 in 2000. And from Samuel's post, it appears that you can't "wait" too long with Trados either before you pay the full license price again. In the end software maintenance may not be that much cheaper with Trados.
It's worth noting that MemoQ sometimes do incentive campaigns with discounted "yearly support" (or similar term to refer to their subscription fee) to encourage license holders to upgrade to the latest version and "reintegrate" the subscription model.

Philippe

EDIT: and a critical aspect I forgot is that you're entitled to software support with your MemoQ yearly subscription, whereas Trados doesn't provide free personalised support with their upgrades (if I'm not mistaken). To me that's the main benefit of the MemoQ model for those who may need support. At the end of the day, what matters most is how comfortable you feel with a CAT tool to get to the bottom of it.

[Edited at 2020-01-14 18:37 GMT]

Suzanne Chabot

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »