Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:24
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Oct 3, 2017

Hello

Can someone recommend a collection agency in Massachusetts, that I can contact from Europe? Unfortunately a colleague owes me 1650 dollars and does not even reply to my emails, so I would like to recover my money.

I know she is in good health because is interacting in the site and in FB, but disappeared just for me.

Thanks for your help if you can

[Edited at 2017-10-03 16:18
... See more
Hello

Can someone recommend a collection agency in Massachusetts, that I can contact from Europe? Unfortunately a colleague owes me 1650 dollars and does not even reply to my emails, so I would like to recover my money.

I know she is in good health because is interacting in the site and in FB, but disappeared just for me.

Thanks for your help if you can

[Edited at 2017-10-03 16:18 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:24
Japanese to English
+ ...
Collection agency Boston Massachusetts USA Oct 4, 2017

Hello Angie:
Try googling:
"collection agencies Boston Massachusetts" (commercial) or
"Boston Small Claims Court" (governmental)

The collection agencies take a huge bite out of their take, as much as 30 %.
However, if you sue the client in Small Claims Court, besides the original debt, you can claim travel expenses (round-trip airfare), hotel,
daily expenses, surface transportation and even wages lost from pleading case. Small claims court has
... See more
Hello Angie:
Try googling:
"collection agencies Boston Massachusetts" (commercial) or
"Boston Small Claims Court" (governmental)

The collection agencies take a huge bite out of their take, as much as 30 %.
However, if you sue the client in Small Claims Court, besides the original debt, you can claim travel expenses (round-trip airfare), hotel,
daily expenses, surface transportation and even wages lost from pleading case. Small claims court has worked for me because when they see the extra charges (airfare, hotel) they freak out and pay. It will cost approximately USD 50.00 to file a claim in Boston Small Claims Court. I doubt very much that they would be willing to pay roundtrip airfare between Italy and Boston.
Good luck!
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many Thanks Oct 5, 2017

Michael Newton wrote:

if you sue the client in Small Claims Court, besides the original debt, you can claim travel expenses (round-trip airfare), hotel,
daily expenses, surface transportation and even wages lost from pleading case. Small claims court has worked for me because when they see the extra charges (airfare, hotel) they freak out and pay.

Thanks Micheael,

Great information!

Maurizio Varriale
Maurizio Varriale  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Small Claims worked for me... Oct 5, 2017

Ciao Angie,

I also used Small Claims for a British client of mine that didn't want to pay. I was sceptical about it, but I was able to get all my money they owned me in a couple of months. Give it a try.

Angie Garbarino
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you everyone Oct 5, 2017

I suppose she read this thread because she suddenly sent me the payment via paypal, she perhaps freaked out about expenses mentioned by Michael, or of losing her PRO badge, not sure.

Anyway I will keep those info for the future,

Many thanks again!

Adam Jarczyk
Adam Jarczyk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Glad to get to read this from you Oct 5, 2017

Angie Garbarino wrote:

I suppose she read this thread because she suddenly sent me the payment via paypal, she perhaps freaked out about expenses mentioned by Michael, or of losing her PRO badge, not sure.

Anyway I will keep those info for the future,

Many thanks again!

Dear Angie,

my title already says it.

I have had a very similar experience in the past with one client, and the fact that they got to see I meant business made them pay up right away and in full, too. I think it is important that we stand up for our rights.

Good luck further on,
Adam

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:24
Member (2008)
Italian to English
That's interesting Oct 5, 2017

Angie Garbarino wrote:

I suppose she read this thread because she suddenly sent me the payment

That's interesting. I've always suspected that agencies read these forums, and when they realise that someone they haven't paid is serious about enforcement, they pay quickly.

I hope you've given them an appropriate review on the Blue Board!

[Edited at 2017-10-05 12:17 GMT]

Angie Garbarino
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sure I did Oct 5, 2017

Tom in London wrote:
I hope you've given them an appropriate review on the Blue Board!

[Edited

Of course Tom,
BTW strictly speaking she is not an agency, she is a colleague translating in "your" pair, who from time to time during the past 13 years had sent me jobs in the other way around, and always paid me as agreed, I still cannot understand her behaviour this time.

[Edited at 2017-10-05 12:52 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Searching for a collection agency in Massachusetts

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »