Laura Mussutto
Laura Mussutto  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:59
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 11, 2017

Dear Colleagues in the UK,

After over 10 years in the business, the worst non-payer I've ever encountered happens to be... a firm of solicitors!
I invoiced them back in January (!) for a translation related to a divorce covered by legal aid. I have phoned them, emailed them and finally emailed them again saying that if they don't pay me by this Friday I will take appropriate action to ensure they settle the invoice. I know they have read the email, but there is no trace of £5
... See more
Dear Colleagues in the UK,

After over 10 years in the business, the worst non-payer I've ever encountered happens to be... a firm of solicitors!
I invoiced them back in January (!) for a translation related to a divorce covered by legal aid. I have phoned them, emailed them and finally emailed them again saying that if they don't pay me by this Friday I will take appropriate action to ensure they settle the invoice. I know they have read the email, but there is no trace of £527 on my bank account as yet.

Now, what do you think is the best step forward? As I said, I have never been in this situation before.

Thank you very much in advance!

Laura
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Factoring Oct 11, 2017

You could try factoring the invoice. You'd get paid less but you'd be paid immediately and someone else would deal with all the hassle.

Here's a google search for possible agencies you might want to consider.

http://tinyurl.com/y7jz2j77

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Debt collection agency? Oct 11, 2017

I've never tried one. My worst non-payer was... an accountant!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Found Oct 11, 2017

On several occasions I have found that a non-paying direct client, or a non-paying agency, can be persuaded to pay very quickly when they are provided with a description of the process that would be triggered if they do not.

Agneta Pallinder
Agneta Pallinder  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Swedish to English
+ ...
In the UK - make court claim (used to be "small claims court") Oct 11, 2017

Since you are in the UK you could use the provision for making a direct court claim. It'll cost you £70 for a claim for between £500 and £1000.

All the details here: https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
They won't pay anyway Oct 11, 2017

Agneta Pallinder wrote:

Since you are in the UK you could use the provision for making a direct court claim. It'll cost you £70 for a claim for between £500 and £1000.

All the details here: https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money

As is well known, many judgments by the small claims court remain unpaid. In the case of a firm of solicitors, I would think the likelihood of them not paying would be even higher.

"....individuals quite rightly assume that once a judgment is awarded by the court, full and prompt payment should follow – but this is frequently not the case. Those who don't receive payment find themselves initiating enforcement proceedings, which cost money, but, more worryingly, often fail to recover compensation..."

http://tinyurl.com/ybv4esk3

[Edited at 2017-10-11 12:05 GMT]

Laura Mussutto
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone! Oct 11, 2017

Thank you very much Tom, Teresa and Agneta for taking the time to reply!

I will definitely prepare a list with the actions I am going to take, based on your suggestions.
To be honest, they don't seem to be a very small practice and I doubt they don't have the money - I just need to find a way to make them cough up!
I suspect legal aid payments take a while to arrive for them too, but this certainly doesn't make my heart weep...

Thanks again,
Laura

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Let us know Oct 11, 2017

Please let us know what happens!

Laura Mussutto
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Will do Tom! Oct 11, 2017

Tom in London wrote:

Please let us know what happens!

Angela Malik
Angela Malik  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
This has happened to me too Oct 11, 2017

This has happened to me before. I settled it by sending a final demand by signed-for post, then filing a money claim (small claims procedure).

The company called asking me to withdraw the claim and I agreed to do so as soon as the money was in my account, including the court fee for filing and the interest from late payment. I was paid in full within three days and then withdrew the claim as agreed.

Sometimes filing with small claims does get the job done.

Laura Mussutto
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Angela! Oct 11, 2017

Angela Rimmer wrote:

This has happened to me before. I settled it by sending a final demand by signed-for post, then filing a money claim (small claims procedure).

The company called asking me to withdraw the claim and I agreed to do so as soon as the money was in my account, including the court fee for filing and the interest from late payment. I was paid in full within three days and then withdrew the claim as agreed.

Sometimes filing with small claims does get the job done.

Very encouraging to hear this!

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:59
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Blue Board Oct 11, 2017

Please make an entry in the Blue Board, to warn off the rest of us. And, maybe, to persuade those folks that they're getting unwanted public attention. Note that if there is no Blue Board record for them, you can create one and make an entry, once staff vets the new Blue Board record.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
BB Oct 11, 2017

Yolanda Broad wrote:

Please make an entry in the Blue Board, to warn off the rest of us. And, maybe, to persuade those folks that they're getting unwanted public attention. Note that if there is no Blue Board record for them, you can create one and make an entry, once staff vets the new Blue Board record.

Yes- it's very important that you do this and please - if the non-payer offers to pay on condition that you change your negative BB rating to a positive rating - don't agree to it!

[Edited at 2017-10-11 12:45 GMT]

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:59
Japanese to English
+ ...
Legal non-payers Oct 11, 2017

I say the following only half in jest:
What about wearing one of those old-fashioned sandwich board advertisements, one board in front, one board in back?
The wording being: "Dewey Cheatum and Howe (or Lye Cheete and Steele) are no longer able to pay their debts. We're taking up a collection. Please give. Every little bit helps". Walk back and forth in front of their building. This might shame them. But then there are those pesky English libel laws.

Laura Mussutto
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your input, Yolanda Oct 11, 2017

Yolanda Broad wrote:

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Non-paying Solicitors

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »