EN>RU translation rates
Thread poster: Kristīne
Kristīne
Kristīne  Identity Verified
Latvia
English to Russian
+ ...
Aug 19, 2020

Hello, I'm currently applying for the position of a freelance translator to different video game localization agencies worldwide. I offer my services for 0.04 EUR per source word (which is not that low for the country I live in), but I was wondering if I would increase my rate to 0.06 EUR, would that be acceptable for agencies? I'm a newbie in game localization, but I'm afraid I won't be able to increase my rate if I apply for a smaller rate initially. Anyway, I'd like to clear out for myself wh... See more
Hello, I'm currently applying for the position of a freelance translator to different video game localization agencies worldwide. I offer my services for 0.04 EUR per source word (which is not that low for the country I live in), but I was wondering if I would increase my rate to 0.06 EUR, would that be acceptable for agencies? I'm a newbie in game localization, but I'm afraid I won't be able to increase my rate if I apply for a smaller rate initially. Anyway, I'd like to clear out for myself what is the rate range for EN>RU translation of video game text if working for an agency. What would be the maximum rate?

[Edited at 2020-08-19 17:19 GMT]
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:20
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Sounds low to me, but there's more than one market Aug 19, 2020

Viktorija Solovjova wrote:
I'm currently applying for the position of a freelance translator to different video game localization agencies worldwide. I offer my services for 0.04 EUR per source word (which is not that low for the country I live in), but I was wondering if I would increase my rate to 0.06 EUR

Have you checked out the "Community Rates" tool here on ProZ.com? It gives 6-9 euro cents per word as the going rate for EN>RU video game translation. That's taken from the rates we all indicate on our profiles, publicly or for filtering purposes.

One thing I notice is that you say you're contacting agencies worldwide and yet you seem to want to restrict your rate to some local rate. There's no sense in that, you know -- you're as entitled to the market rate as the next translator (from Germany, the US or wherever).

What would be the maximum rate?

There is no minimum or maximum rate. I'm sure there are people out there asking for -- and maybe getting -- €0.20 per word and more. Just as I know there are far too many slaving away for €0.01 .

Kristīne
Kristīne  Identity Verified
Latvia
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agencies vs direct clients Aug 19, 2020

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Viktorija Solovjova wrote:
I'm currently applying for the position of a freelance translator to different video game localization agencies worldwide. I offer my services for 0.04 EUR per source word (which is not that low for the country I live in), but I was wondering if I would increase my rate to 0.06 EUR

Have you checked out the "Community Rates" tool here on ProZ.com? It gives 6-9 euro cents per word as the going rate for EN>RU video game translation. That's taken from the rates we all indicate on our profiles, publicly or for filtering purposes.

One thing I notice is that you say you're contacting agencies worldwide and yet you seem to want to restrict your rate to some local rate. There's no sense in that, you know -- you're as entitled to the market rate as the next translator (from Germany, the US or wherever).

What would be the maximum rate?

There is no minimum or maximum rate. I'm sure there are people out there asking for -- and maybe getting -- €0.20 per word and more. Just as I know there are far too many slaving away for €0.01 .

Thank you for your reply. I didn't really know about that tool, but sounds useful. But still, there should be different rates for offering your services to agencies vs direct clients. 0.20 EUR sounds like a rate for a direct client. I've talked to a guy working as a localization manager for an agency in Russia and he told me that European rates are 0.03-0.04 EUR mostly as agencies themselves get 0.05-0.07 EUR per source word.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

EN>RU translation rates

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »