Yolanda Moreau  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:07
French to English
+ ...
Sep 14, 2020

Hello there, everyone!

I do hope you are all still doing well in these difficult times

My question simply concerns translation fees for FR-EN translations in 2020 since I'm not an aficionado of the translation agency scene (previously had mostly private clients) and my usual rates now seem to be considered, perhaps, a bit high: I usually ask for 0.08€ per word for general translations. Do you think this
... See more
Hello there, everyone!

I do hope you are all still doing well in these difficult times

My question simply concerns translation fees for FR-EN translations in 2020 since I'm not an aficionado of the translation agency scene (previously had mostly private clients) and my usual rates now seem to be considered, perhaps, a bit high: I usually ask for 0.08€ per word for general translations. Do you think this is too optimistic? It seems that this language pair is fairly saturated, so should I lower my usual fee for agencies?

Thanks so much in advance for your precious pearls.

All the best,
Yolanda.
Collapse

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Low rates might help help bring in the work but no guarantee Sep 14, 2020

Nowadays it seems that most Fr-En work (to call the pair saturated is understating the matter) is obtained via heavy-duty networking and/or having friends, family, (former) colleagues etc. in the right places.
Offering bottom feeder rates may help but that section of the market seems to be flooded as well.

KHALDUN ALQAYSI
Jennifer White
Rachel Fell
Aisha Maniar
Sheila Wilson
Michele Fauble
Hannah Doyle

Bernard Moret
Bernard Moret  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:07
English to French
Low rates Sep 14, 2020

I'm in the same case and I don't think I'm the only one. 0.08 EUR seems to be too high at the moment though it is the minimum average rate reported by language pair on Proz site. Some go as low as 0.05 USD per source word and even lower, not to mention the daily rates which are beyond comprehension and can only be poor quality machine translations. Unfortunately and often, the lowest bidders are winning the Proz markets. The only immediate solution is not to answer when supplier's rate is not m... See more
I'm in the same case and I don't think I'm the only one. 0.08 EUR seems to be too high at the moment though it is the minimum average rate reported by language pair on Proz site. Some go as low as 0.05 USD per source word and even lower, not to mention the daily rates which are beyond comprehension and can only be poor quality machine translations. Unfortunately and often, the lowest bidders are winning the Proz markets. The only immediate solution is not to answer when supplier's rate is not mentionned.Collapse

KHALDUN ALQAYSI
writeaway
Rachel Fell

KHALDUN ALQAYSI
KHALDUN ALQAYSI
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 20:07
English to Arabic
+ ...
Quality of Translation and Rates Sep 14, 2020

I do not recommend that you lower your rates. Rates never go down except when quality is affected. Confident and professional translators do not accept offered low rates.

writeaway
Germaine
Rachel Fell
Aisha Maniar
Sheila Wilson
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Christophe Delaunay

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

French to English Translation Rates 2020

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »