Beatriz Ramírez de Haro  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:55
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 7, 2020

Dear colleagues,

I have been asked to give a quote for editing a glossary of 1000 words. Although I'm familiar with the subject, some terms will need research.

I need to quote a fixed price, which is fine, but I would welcome your ideas on quoting for this type of job.

TIA

Hedia Mannai
Hedia Mannai  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Rates for glossary editing Oct 7, 2020

hi, if I were you I would do this glossary per word with an acceptable rate, that is to say, they may be in charge of 0.06/0.10 USD per word.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:55
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Beatriz Oct 7, 2020

As a rule of thumb, I charge about 1/3 of my translation rate to do a revision, assuming the quality is good. If the translation is poor quality, I’d ask between half my translation rate to my full rate or even an hourly rate. For a glossary, I’d ask an hourly rate to cover the research work needed.

LIDIA NASCIMENTO
Morano El-Kholy

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 12:55
English to Russian
+ ...
This type of work always puzzles me Oct 8, 2020

It's an honest question.

I would assume that no one can "edit a glossary" without reading and/or editing the entire text first. Right here we have the first time interval to be compensated for. And the basis for price calculation by the hour, me think. Am I wrong?

Surely this can not be regarded as a regular 1000-words job in a 2-column table, not to mention for 6 cents. How is it possible to edit just the glossary for a specific project? 1000 terms in the glossary imp
... See more
It's an honest question.

I would assume that no one can "edit a glossary" without reading and/or editing the entire text first. Right here we have the first time interval to be compensated for. And the basis for price calculation by the hour, me think. Am I wrong?

Surely this can not be regarded as a regular 1000-words job in a 2-column table, not to mention for 6 cents. How is it possible to edit just the glossary for a specific project? 1000 terms in the glossary implies a substantial text volume.

In my world project glossaries are built as the translation/editing go along, by the same people who did the first two steps.
Collapse

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Spot on Oct 8, 2020

IrinaN wrote:

Surely this can not be regarded as a regular 1000-words job in a 2-column table, not to mention for 6 cents. How is it possible to edit just the glossary for a specific project? 1000 terms in the glossary implies a substantial text volume.

In my world project glossaries are built as the translation/editing go along, by the same people who did the first two steps.

Many thanks, Irina, you've helped me get the clear picture. I was trying to avoid the hourly rate, but it seems the only way to go.

And thank you to ELISSAA and Teresa,

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for glossary editing

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »