Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Could this be the lowest translation rate in history?
Thread poster: Mr. Satan (X)
jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:46
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Very low rate but Oct 28, 2020

Dalia Nour wrote:

Actually, some agencies offered me $0.02 per word, and I felt that I'm goinig to work for free. Furthermore, they will pay me after 30 days.

[Edited at 2020-10-12 16:01 GMT]

Yours is 5 times the rate the OP mentioned, which is $0.004.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Listed on a job posted today Oct 30, 2020

This job is Available.

We want to pay for this job 0.00 EUR per word

Who can apply: Freelancers/Agencies

Jean Dimitriadis
Christopher Schröder

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Up for grabs Oct 30, 2020

as they say…

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
TOPIC STARTER
Anyway... Oct 30, 2020

To be fair, a rate with 2 decimal numbers might be enough in some 3rd world countries. It's nothing luxurious, but should get you through a month. But 3 decimals? That's really not a lot of money no matter where you live.

writeaway wrote:

This job is Available.

We want to pay for this job 0.00 EUR per word

Who can apply: Freelancers/Agencies

Pffft, wot? They should've listed it as a voluntary job. That would make it sound less harsh.

Cristiano Lima
Cristiano Lima
Brazil
Local time: 10:46
Russian to Portuguese
+ ...
USD 0,01 Nov 3, 2020

Novian Cahyadi wrote:

I stumbled upon a job offer recently and the agency dared to go as low as $0.004 per word. That includes proofreading as well.

I almost wanted to take on it just to see how bad it would go. This is quite amusing.

What is this madness?

Trust me, last month someone discussed with me a big project to be delivered in November, around 500k words. The contractor claim his company did not receive the project, instead, another company took it, since they offered USD 0,01 per word translated.

Unfortunatelly low rates are pretty common, dumping is very common. I remember an old post where a Russian guy living in the Netherlands claimed that "since he does not see a halo behind his head, so he works for USD 0,02 per word" from Dutch into Russian.

However USD 0,004 is an abuse, it's almost unbelievable! I think that whoever agrees on that should be somehow removed from Translation market, since it is a serious damage to another translators.

[Edited at 2020-11-03 16:41 GMT]

Adieu

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Could this be the lowest translation rate in history?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »