Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Off topic: Have you got at least one IKEA item in your house/office?
Thread poster: Gianni Pastore
Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 05:38
I heart Ikea Nov 20, 2008

They're not in the Republic of Ireland yet, but they have a branch in Belfast. I went up there recently and came back with 3 rugs, red glasses, a spice rack, a fetching blue duvet set and the most fabulous ergonomic pillow for side-sleepers.

... I only popped in for a browse!

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:38
Member (2007)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Ikea hack, anyone? Nov 20, 2008

Of course I have had my share of IKEA furniture hack too, which you can see here:

http://ikeahacker.blogspot.com/2008/09/looking-for-low-bathroom-bench-heres.html

Nice work, innit?
G

[Edited at 2008-11-20 13:05 GMT]

Francesca Pesce
Francesca Pesce  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
Just spent a month on their kithchen planner... Nov 20, 2008

I am moving to a new house in a couple of months, so I spent a month on Ikea's kitchen planner trying to design my new kitchen. Finally I managed to make up my mind, I bought it and it should arrive in 20 days, together with 2 wardrobes. (I can't wait!)

I already have a couch, libraries (wonderful Billy), and loads of bits and pieces. And most important of all the Trofast structure with coloured drawers that turned my son into a tidy person!

Kathryn Litherland
Kathryn Litherland  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:38
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
IKEA kitchen Nov 20, 2008

We've bits and pieces ranging from large to small throughout the house, but our biggest IKEA collection was using IKEA cabinets when we remodeled our kitchen last year. I ADORE them--they slide so smoothly, and we put in a lot of drawer units that hold a lot of stuff. The folks at www.ikeafans.com were great help in getting tips for everything from design and layout to installation. We got custom hickory doors fr... See more
We've bits and pieces ranging from large to small throughout the house, but our biggest IKEA collection was using IKEA cabinets when we remodeled our kitchen last year. I ADORE them--they slide so smoothly, and we put in a lot of drawer units that hold a lot of stuff. The folks at www.ikeafans.com were great help in getting tips for everything from design and layout to installation. We got custom hickory doors from elsewhere, because none of the IKEA styles suited my fancy (which runs toward Southwest/Americana rather than euro-modern or Swedish farmhouse).

I've got some pictures up from when we were about 80% done with the remodel. I'd like to say that we've made a lot of progress since then, but really--once we got to the point where everything was functional, work on the kitchen pretty much screeched to a halt.

http://picasaweb.google.com/drlith1/KitchenJan2908#5160966308861980994
Collapse

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:38
Portuguese to English
+ ...
No Nov 20, 2008

Believe it or not, the answer is NO - they have not come to Brazil yet.

Tarara Paso
Tarara Paso
Sri Lanka
English to Spanish
+ ...
That's why Nov 20, 2008

That's why Ingvar Kamprad has more than 23.000 million euros..... and he started selling matches...

Stephanie Wloch
Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
Another confession Nov 20, 2008

Textklick wrote:
There is not one single item from IKEA in our house...
The same here.
Another confession: I visited only once in my lifetime an Ikea store. And I did not even eat some kötbullars!:eek:
But anyway: normally I don't even hang out in other furniture stores. I prefer second hand stuff or customized handmade furniture (like my huge desktop).
I like to support my local carpenter.:grin:

Helena Genel
Helena Genel
United States
Local time: 21:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
No Nov 20, 2008

But you've piqued my curiosity!

I'll try the Ikea store in West Sacramento (aprox. 80 miles from where I live), next time I'm there.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:38
English to French
+ ...
Watch out! Nov 20, 2008

Maria Ayala wrote:

I'll try the Ikea store in West Sacramento...

Just make sure you have no plastic in your wallet before you go. If it's your first time at Ikea, you may end up spending much more than you planned to. Every time I go, I spend about double what I intended to.

Catherine Brix
Catherine Brix
Swedish to English
+ ...
I'm flabbergasted! Nov 20, 2008

IKEA like H&M is a waste of money. Substandard, run-of-the-mill, boring products, zero service and lines that run forever. I can't believe that I'm seeing so much enthusiasm on a site that normally propogates paying top rates for top quality and chastises anyone who dares to work for below average rates in a desperate attempt to make a living. Might I recommend the movie "It's a free world" to those pondering the likes of IKEA and H&M.
And what about global warming, supporting your local s
... See more
IKEA like H&M is a waste of money. Substandard, run-of-the-mill, boring products, zero service and lines that run forever. I can't believe that I'm seeing so much enthusiasm on a site that normally propogates paying top rates for top quality and chastises anyone who dares to work for below average rates in a desperate attempt to make a living. Might I recommend the movie "It's a free world" to those pondering the likes of IKEA and H&M.
And what about global warming, supporting your local suppliers and so on and so forth??
Talk isn't cheap - it's on sale!
Collapse

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
I am flabbergasted too Nov 21, 2008

Mary Catherine Brix wrote:

IKEA like H&M is a waste of money.

You know, that's EXACTLY what I thought when I asked my "local" carpenter a budget for making a simple bench (the one I mentioned in my previous post). He said 350€. IKEA sells something similar for 49€. You do the math. Ah, and don't feel sorry for him. He drives a BMW X5 which costs 60.000 EUR which you and me will be never ever be able to afford and lives in a mansion on the hill with 5 bedrooms and 6 bathrooms. He's my cousin, so I figure he gave me a discount, too.

Regards
Gianni

[Edited at 2008-11-21 08:09 GMT]

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:38
English to Arabic
+ ...
Why not? Nov 21, 2008

Mary Catherine Brix wrote:

And what about global warming, supporting your local suppliers and so on and so forth??
Talk isn't cheap - it's on sale!

As far as I know, buying from Ikea is not unethical, it's not un-fair trading, they don't use child labour or sweatshops.

I would support local suppliers, but like Gianni, I don't see why I should pay twice as much (or much more) just for that good will.
I think local suppliers should look at Ikea, how it's operated and how it achieves that price for that (quite good, really) quality. Maybe they can learn something.
And I'm not talking about our local carpenter (who may really be unable to produce cheap stuff in bulk) but about similarly large UK companies (the likes of DFS, Furniture Warehouse etc), who by the way aren't any less "run-of-the-mill" or better at providing services than Ikea.

I say, long live Ikea and move it a bit closer to home!

Dina Abdo
Dina Abdo  Identity Verified
Palestine
Local time: 07:38
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
None! Nov 22, 2008

Not a single IKEA item in my house ... we simply don't have IKEA in Gaza. Does that count?

However, I still like to browse their annual catalogue. It can bring some great tips and ideas about changing things around the house

MGB
MGB
Local time: 01:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not even in B.A. Dec 8, 2008

Hi!
I am from Buenos Aires, ARgentina, and I have plenty of Ikea items even when we don't have IKEA's in my country!!!!
I have from blankets to puppets for my kids! It's fantasy land for the consumer society... and the worst thing is that I love it!
Our local version is "Easy" but it is NOTHING compared to IKEA...

Greg Feehan
Greg Feehan  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 07:38
Russian to English
+ ...
A few things Dec 9, 2008

A desk lamp (and one of those fancy lightbulbs sold at IKEA). It's wonderful!

But I must say I am a little disappointed. At the IKEAs in my aera, you can't buy Swedish beer! Do they sell it in other states? I certainly haven't found it in NJ, NY or MD!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Have you got at least one IKEA item in your house/office?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »