Cetacea
Cetacea  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 13:06
English to German
+ ...
Longevity indeed... Apr 1, 2010

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

John Cage: ORGAN²/ASLSP (as slow as possible)

Enjoy!

Since the performance of John Cage's piece is scheduled to last 639 years, listening to the whole thing might prove a little difficult...

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:06
German to English
+ ...
My current three suggestions Apr 2, 2010

When I hear these I think "absolutely splendid music, telling a story about life, including its happy times and its sad times".

Dvorak's "American" string quartet, Op. 96
Dvorak's cello concerto
Elgar's cello concerto

Sometimes I consider these concertos to be greater than the "great" violin concertos (Beethoven, Brahms, Tchaikovsky, Mendelssohn) even though I play the violin myself. Having played the "Americ
... See more
When I hear these I think "absolutely splendid music, telling a story about life, including its happy times and its sad times".

Dvorak's "American" string quartet, Op. 96
Dvorak's cello concerto
Elgar's cello concerto

Sometimes I consider these concertos to be greater than the "great" violin concertos (Beethoven, Brahms, Tchaikovsky, Mendelssohn) even though I play the violin myself. Having played the "American" quartet myself, I consider it to be excellent to the musician also (which doesn't mean easy), not only the listener.
I think the best "classical" music all represents a story or a journey, even if the details of the meanings are not explicable in verbal language.
Oliver

[Edited at 2010-04-02 14:14 GMT]
Collapse

Susanne Bittner
Susanne Bittner  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Have Translators got a musical ear Apr 2, 2010

I think translators have a more musical ear than others, just thinking of how many colleagues I know sing in a choir.... And I am seriously considering to start the next Thread on Which Books to read before I die. Though watching other peoples LinkedIn-booklists helps a lot. Susanne

Wolf Kux
Wolf Kux  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:06
Member (2006)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
André Rieu Apr 2, 2010

Try to find André Rieu's orchestra !

Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI
Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2008)
English to Czech
SITE LOCALIZER
Beethoven Piano Concertos Apr 2, 2010

Beethoven Piano Concertos - not only the aforementioned No. 5, but all five of them...

http://www.amazon.de/Gulda-spielt-Beethoven-Klaviersonaten-Klavierkonzerte/dp/B000BQV52A/ref=pd_cp_m_1

(I mean exactly this Gulda play.)

Adrian Grant
Adrian Grant  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:06
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Piano Apr 2, 2010

Kim Metzger wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akc0v_KTZBM

This is what I asked my wife to play at my funeral, or just a little bit of it, maybe.

How was her performance?

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:06
German to English
Beethoven Apr 2, 2010

Adrian Grant wrote:

How was her performance?

You mean you'd like a report from

"The undiscovered country from whose bourn
No traveller returns"?

Yolanda Bello Olvera
Yolanda Bello Olvera  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Once I finish translating next week... Apr 2, 2010

I will have to take time to read and find out about so much music.

Wonderful suggestions!

Many of them I know, many I don't.
So I need to take time to find the music and decide what to add to my ipod.

Decisions, decisions....

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Who is starting the "what books should I read before I die" thread?

Have a nice Easter!

Y

Brian Young
Brian Young  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:06
Danish to English
too late for reading Apr 2, 2010

Does anyone actually believe that they will be reading any books after they die? Would it even make any sense?
How about just some reading suggestions, plain and simple. That list will anyhow be too long to ever get through.
My main problem is not just what to read while I still have time, but what to read again, for a second or third time, or even more. It can be very troubling. I try to read several of Dylan Thomas' short pieces at least once a year. I read Neruda's biography ever
... See more
Does anyone actually believe that they will be reading any books after they die? Would it even make any sense?
How about just some reading suggestions, plain and simple. That list will anyhow be too long to ever get through.
My main problem is not just what to read while I still have time, but what to read again, for a second or third time, or even more. It can be very troubling. I try to read several of Dylan Thomas' short pieces at least once a year. I read Neruda's biography every few years. I am always afraid that one time will be the last, and in fact that is unavoidable. So I am always in somewhat of a frenzy. And the all that new stuff, it's driving me crazy! No matter how we dig and scratch, no matter how late we stay up, we can never do more than scratch the surface. Still, a reading list that you can never get through isn't the worst thing that can happen.

[Edited at 2010-04-02 22:09 GMT]
Collapse

apk12
apk12  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
chewing about definitions Apr 2, 2010

ok let´s talk about classical music, what´s part of this, what´s not.
so, my sentence to this topic here would be: "if you ask me, before I die, I want to be able at least to click one single link again. see: a grand piano... someone is able to sing something... I want to be able to play stupid before I die and will insist on the statement that classical music is not only "mignon", BBM (bach beethoven mozart), vivaldi or stravinsky but instead a question of individual definition. befor
... See more
ok let´s talk about classical music, what´s part of this, what´s not.
so, my sentence to this topic here would be: "if you ask me, before I die, I want to be able at least to click one single link again. see: a grand piano... someone is able to sing something... I want to be able to play stupid before I die and will insist on the statement that classical music is not only "mignon", BBM (bach beethoven mozart), vivaldi or stravinsky but instead a question of individual definition. before I die, I want to click a link to a classical music to someone who can sing and play a grand piano at the same time. and I have the feeling this link will be this here: http://shortlinks.de/k040 "

[Edited at 2010-04-02 22:26 GMT]
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:06
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Reading? Not according to my book. Apr 3, 2010

Brian Young wrote:
Does anyone actually believe that they will be reading any books after they die? Would it even make any sense? How about just some reading suggestions, plain and simple.

What I think we'll be doing after we die is explained in my book, "Engineers of Fate".

You may read an abridged version of its first quarter at http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/text_14.html

As you'll see, we won't have time for reading.

Brian Young
United States
Danish to English
nothing Apr 3, 2010

"We" will no longer exist after we die, so we won't be doing anything. If people want to believe in ghost, goblins, or other forms of magic or hokus pokus, then that is fine with me. I'm more interested in that list of books and music that we might at least take a shot at, while we are still around to shoot.

apk12
apk12  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Reading? What for...? Apr 3, 2010

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

... What I think we'll be doing after we die is explained in my book, "Engineers of Fate". You may read an abridged version of its first quarter at http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/text_14.html

quote2 "ENGINEERS OF FATE - by J. H. Lamensdorf - ... It would be interesting to analyze a reader’s motivation when they decide to read a book. The individual certainly expects to get something out of it: amusement, a challenge for their mind, cultural enrichment, and ..."

and many other things, yes. but see, j.h., some of them do it for very surface-based purposes, they do it only for styling and design reasons, really.

it takes a quite a while and quite a couple of meters of books until you get such pretty glasses like

apk12 wrote:

...this classical musician... http://shortlinks.de/k040

[Edited at 2010-04-03 19:04 GMT]

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
And then there's always art we should see before we "die" . . . Apr 3, 2010

and that reminds me of one of my favorite quotes: "To fear death, gentlemen, is nothing other than to think oneself wise
when one is not; for it is to think one knows what one does not know. No man knows whether death may not even turn out to be the greatest of blessings for a human being; and yet people fear it as if they knew for certain that it is the greatest of evils." (Socrates, c. 469-399 BC)

[Edited at 2010-04-03 09:16 GMT]

It's too late to add this to t
... See more
and that reminds me of one of my favorite quotes: "To fear death, gentlemen, is nothing other than to think oneself wise
when one is not; for it is to think one knows what one does not know. No man knows whether death may not even turn out to be the greatest of blessings for a human being; and yet people fear it as if they knew for certain that it is the greatest of evils." (Socrates, c. 469-399 BC)

[Edited at 2010-04-03 09:16 GMT]

It's too late to add this to the list on my previous comment, so I'll mention it here:

Bruch's First Violin Concerto in G minor, op.26, second movement, here performed by Itzhak Perlman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOw8PDbYWow&feature=related

[Edited at 2010-04-03 11:40 GMT]
Collapse

Brian Young
United States
Danish to English
see? Yes! Apr 3, 2010

Thanks Suzan
Yes, and not just "art", but sunrises, and pretty girls, and storms and lightening and....

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Classical music I should listen to before I die :-D

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »