Manuela Junghans  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:48
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Nov 27, 2013

Hi everyone

First of all, dear moderators, please feel free to move this to the right forum, as I really didn´t know where to put this.

But now on to my actual question: A while ago I received an invitation to register for this new AmazonCrossing project, where you can bid to translate books, or e-books rather, and are supposed to get paid a one-off fee plus some royalties.

I thought it can´t hurt to register, but now I keep getting reminders to submit my
... See more
Hi everyone

First of all, dear moderators, please feel free to move this to the right forum, as I really didn´t know where to put this.

But now on to my actual question: A while ago I received an invitation to register for this new AmazonCrossing project, where you can bid to translate books, or e-books rather, and are supposed to get paid a one-off fee plus some royalties.

I thought it can´t hurt to register, but now I keep getting reminders to submit my payment information (bank details etc.), which I´m rather reluctant to do.
And now (as a non-US resident) I´m also supposed to apply for a US Taxpayers Identification Number (TIN). This all seems awfully complicated and a bit suspicious to me.

Did anyone do that yet or does have any information to share on that topic?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Have a lovely day.

Manuela
Collapse

Tanja Wohlgemuth
Tanja Wohlgemuth  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
Same for me Dec 17, 2013

I received the same invitation this week and have the same concerns. I am not sure what to do - does anyone have experience with this?

Marion Plath
Marion Plath  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
No problem there Dec 17, 2013

I just registered with them and have no problems. I got a lot of information sent and did a bit of research myself. Amazon Crossing is an imprint of Amazon Publishing, doing their own translations for selected titles which registered translators can apply for when they log in to their site. The T&Cs all looked fine to me and of course, they are going to need your bank details to pay you via wire transfer.

You need the US Taxpayer ID number (TIN) to be able to claim "United States T
... See more
I just registered with them and have no problems. I got a lot of information sent and did a bit of research myself. Amazon Crossing is an imprint of Amazon Publishing, doing their own translations for selected titles which registered translators can apply for when they log in to their site. The T&Cs all looked fine to me and of course, they are going to need your bank details to pay you via wire transfer.

You need the US Taxpayer ID number (TIN) to be able to claim "United States Tax Witholding" with the form W8BEN. Reason for this is that the US takes a large chunk of tax for royalties paid if you don't declare that you are not a US citizen. This only applies to royalties and not to other payments, therefore it is not so much known.

Amazon Crossing sent me also links to the US tax authority so I have no doubt that this is completely legitimate and serves as help for translators so we don't loose 30% or so of the royalties.

I wouldn't worry, it's definitely not a scam.

[Edited at 2013-12-17 10:19 GMT]
Collapse

Manuela Junghans
Manuela Junghans  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot Dec 17, 2013

for that information, Marion, and for explaining the reason for needing the US-TIN.

I might give the whole thing another chance after all.
Have you already done projects for them?

[Edited at 2013-12-17 20:13 GMT]

Marion Plath
Marion Plath  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
. Dec 19, 2013

You're welcome, Manuela.

I haven't done any projects for them yet, I have another project coming up in January, but I'll give it a go after that. There are certainly much better paid translation areas out there, but translating a well-written book is something I would love to do.

Amanda Foy
Amanda Foy
United States
Local time: 07:48
Member (2018)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Joining AmazonCrossing? Feb 18, 2021

Hey yall, I just happened across this and wonder how you get invited to Amazon Crossing? It seems quite mysterious.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

AmazonCrossing

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »