Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Off topic: What would you change about your office if you had the opportunity? (Home office makeover)
Thread poster: Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
Local time: 02:16
ProZ.com team
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe too used to things... May 24, 2019

For ten years I had my office in the attic of a farmhouse in Provence. Strong sunlight, tiny windows, slightly monastic darkness inside, and outside nothing but melon fields.

Sure I got used to it, but when I came to Barcelona and found a flat from which I can basically see an entire city, with a million people going about their activities, from the airport to the sea, I am pretty convinced the quality of my ideas changed – as if the limits suddenly disappeared.

From
... See more
For ten years I had my office in the attic of a farmhouse in Provence. Strong sunlight, tiny windows, slightly monastic darkness inside, and outside nothing but melon fields.

Sure I got used to it, but when I came to Barcelona and found a flat from which I can basically see an entire city, with a million people going about their activities, from the airport to the sea, I am pretty convinced the quality of my ideas changed – as if the limits suddenly disappeared.

From melons to megalopolis. Title for a book?
Collapse

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:16
Spanish to English
+ ...
What happened to the new thread? May 24, 2019

Early this morning (EST) a new thread appeared asking (as I remember) whether the internet was a blessing or a curse, and specifically inquiring as to whether it heralded the end of translation as a profession.

Now I wonder why this thread was so quickly removed from this site....

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:16
German to English
+ ...
re genuine question May 24, 2019

Andrew Morris wrote:

Maxi Schwarz wrote:

(I actually thought this was a genuine question originally). In the context of the event, I'm curious trying to imagine what was actually meant. For me it literally means flooring.

It IS a genuine question. The surprising thing is that people might think it's not...

A professional designer is being paid and given a budget to make changes that suit the translator. To me, it's a great idea. But then again my wife is a former architect and I see many examples of the places she has converted. And no, not on TV.

Andrew, I mean I thought that the question was simply asking what I would change about my office. But the question is actually linked to an offer to change my office (If I do certain things.)

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 21:16
Spanish to English
+ ...
Air conditioning May 24, 2019

My "office" is a room with a big desk, a comfortable chair, my printer, a filing cabinet, a cabinet for office supplies, and a stack of plastic tubs and boxes full of assorted stuff that I have no place else to store.

My "work space" is my kitchen table. I carry my laptop to the office when I need to print something.

Why don't I use my office? Because it's always hot in there--unbearably so in the afternoon. The rest of my apartment has a/c, but the office has no access
... See more
My "office" is a room with a big desk, a comfortable chair, my printer, a filing cabinet, a cabinet for office supplies, and a stack of plastic tubs and boxes full of assorted stuff that I have no place else to store.

My "work space" is my kitchen table. I carry my laptop to the office when I need to print something.

Why don't I use my office? Because it's always hot in there--unbearably so in the afternoon. The rest of my apartment has a/c, but the office has no access to a roof or balcony where I can place the outside unit of an inverter. So, without recurring to solutions that are far beyond my budget, I can't work (or store electronics) in my "office."

So, my imaginary office makeover would include air conditioning and better lighting.
Collapse

Tanya Quintieri

Tanya Quintieri
Tanya Quintieri
Local time: 02:16
SITE STAFF
No decluttering needed May 25, 2019

Since we're moving into a new house, the designer would have a clean slate, aside from two electronic standing desks. Long as s/he would stick to the basic design idea of the house, I'd be good with whatever s/he came up with. And with plants. I need plants around me. And perhaps a proper screen on the window so I could work with an open window and not worry about bugs. I hate bugs.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What would you change about your office if you had the opportunity? (Home office makeover)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »