Off topic: Annoying blooping sound following upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10
Thread poster: Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:20
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Jan 10, 2020

Can anyone help or advise me, please?
My local computer technician has recently upgraded me from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Sine then, my computer has been emitting an annoying "blooping" sound at random intervals and I can't find out what is causing it or how to stop it. To my surprise, the computer technician can't understand why this is happening either and doesn't seem to know how to stop it. He's tried connecting a different keyboard and a different printer but the blooping still goes o
... See more
Can anyone help or advise me, please?
My local computer technician has recently upgraded me from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Sine then, my computer has been emitting an annoying "blooping" sound at random intervals and I can't find out what is causing it or how to stop it. To my surprise, the computer technician can't understand why this is happening either and doesn't seem to know how to stop it. He's tried connecting a different keyboard and a different printer but the blooping still goes on.
Thanks in advance for any ideas. Jenny
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:20
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Jennifer Jan 10, 2020

Jennifer Forbes wrote:
My computer has been emitting an annoying "blooping" sound at random intervals and I can't find out what is causing it or how to stop it.

I suspect it's a notification sound. Windows XP had it, and then Windows 7 and 8 didn't have it, and now Windows 10 has it again. It can be quite annoying because Windows makes that sound for a lot of things that it didn't in Windows 7 and 8. You may be able to change your sound theme, or you may be able to simply replace the annoying sound's file with a less annoying sound.

https://pureinfotech.com/change-notifications-sound-windows-10/

ChananZass

Jennifer Forbes
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thanks Samuel Jan 10, 2020

I'll investigate.

Victoria Britten
Victoria Britten  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Same here - and it's none of the standard Windows sounds Jan 11, 2020

I've tested the whole blessed lot of them and none are the same as the 'bloop' (love it!) I sometimes also hear - it's recent for me too, though I've been on Windows 10 for three years now. I haven't as yet managed to spot a sure pattern, though it seems sometimes (but not always) to do it when I connect to a website.
Shall we keep each other posted if we manage to work out what it's about?

[Edited at 2020-01-11 11:59 GMT]

Jennifer Forbes
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thanks, Victoria Jan 11, 2020

Yes, by all means let's stay in touch about this situation.
I passed Samuel's suggestion on to my computer technician who replied that it was a good idea but not correct in this case. He says it's "a connect-disconnect usb-related problem" and plans to re-install my mouse and re-configure my printer next Monday in ways obscure to me and see whether that stops the annoying tinkle-bloop noise!

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Anti-virus? Jan 11, 2020

Victoria Britten wrote:

I haven't as yet managed to spot a sure pattern, though it seems sometimes (but not always) to do it when I connect to a website.
Shall we keep each other posted if we manage to work out what it's about?

[Edited at 2020-01-11 11:59 GMT]

If it seems to appear when connecting to a website, could it be anti-virus software detecting a possibly suspicious site?

Victoria Britten
France
French to English
+ ...
That was my first thought... Jan 11, 2020

Andy Watkinson wrote:

If it seems to appear when connecting to a website, could it be anti-virus software detecting a possibly suspicious site?

... but it seems unlikely, because it happens with websites that are very mainstream indeed and with no accompanying pop-up notification (I use Avira).

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Jennifer Jan 11, 2020

Jennifer Forbes wrote:
My computer technician says it's "a connect-disconnect" problem...

Oh, I know what you mean.

Well, according to Google, you may still be able to silence the computer by simply setting that notification sound to mute, although that would not solve the main problem. I'm not sure what impact it would have on your computer if it keeps connecting and disconnecting in silence.

Victoria Britten
France
French to English
+ ...
"a connect-disconnect" problem?! Jan 13, 2020

Um, does your computer technician sound alarmed about this? I unfortunately don't have one to hand...

Jennifer Forbes
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
No, not alarmed Jan 13, 2020

No, my computer technician does not seem alarmed at the noise or the alleged connect-disconnect but rather seems annoyed that I expect him to come up with a solution (I paid him quite a large sum for a complete upgrade before I discovered that it was emitting the annoying noise and I wasn't expecting the upgraded system to be faulty).

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
USB 3.0 vs previous USB? Jan 13, 2020

The "usb connect-disconnect" mention reminded me of something: when browsing the BIOS menu of my new computer last weekend (Win10 is not installed yet), the mouse would suddenly freeze. I unplugged the mouse from a USB 3.0 socket (blue) and plugged it back to a black USB socket and it worked. The in... See more
The "usb connect-disconnect" mention reminded me of something: when browsing the BIOS menu of my new computer last weekend (Win10 is not installed yet), the mouse would suddenly freeze. I unplugged the mouse from a USB 3.0 socket (blue) and plugged it back to a black USB socket and it worked. The inside of my mouse socket is white.

https://www.geeksinphoenix.com/blog/post/2014/01/12/How-to-tell-what-type-of-USB-connector-you-have-by-color.aspx

Philippe
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Annoying blooping sound following upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »