Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Off topic: Do you obey your spell-checker software?
Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch
Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:41
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Computer program, TV programme Jul 31, 2020

I've always thought in British English.

But don't take my word for it.

I don't always trust the spell-checker, it's certainly not infallible.

In American English, program is the correct spelling. In Australian English, program and programme are both acceptable. In British English, program
... See more

In American English, program is the correct spelling. In Australian English, program and programme are both acceptable. In British English, programme is the preferred spelling, although program is often used in computing contexts.
Decades ago, program appeared in American and British writing. In the nineteenth century, the Brits started to favor the French way of spelling it—programme. However it’s spelled, it means a plan of actions, activities, or procedures, usually for a specific purpose. Alternatively, it can refer to a list of acts or performers associated with an event, such as a theatrical play or a concert. Program can also function as a verb. It means to set, regulate, or modify to produce a specific result. When referring to writing code, both British and Americans use program as the preferred spelling.
Collapse

Joe France
Thomas T. Frost
Jessica Noyes
Philip Lees
Vi Pukite

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:41
Danish to English
+ ...
French and US imports Jul 31, 2020

Jo Macdonald wrote:

In American English, program is the correct spelling. In Australian English, program and programme are both acceptable. In British English, programme is the preferred spelling, although program is often used in computing contexts.
Decades ago, program appeared in American and British writing. In the nineteenth century, the Brits started to favor the French way of spelling it—programme.

That's how I see it as well. Nobody at IBM UK, where I was once employed sometime last century, used the spelling 'programme' in an IT context. At least nobody I came across; obviously I cannot certify the absence of rebellious elements, such as a disgruntled employee secretly scribbling 'programme' on scraps of paper in the loo before flushing the evidence.

As it has already been pointed out, 'programme' is a French import. In French, the only purpose of '-me' is to avoid the A being nasalised. As nobody would nasalise 'program' in English, the '-me' is just historical baggage. UK English has simply retained more of the original French spellings than US English has.

As computers were invented, and the majority of software manuals were written in the US, I guess the US spelling became dominant in the field, even in the UK. Computer programmers aren’t linguists and wouldn’t have bothered fretting about the US spelling. In a technical field, it’s also simpler to have just one international spelling.

Jessica Noyes
Jo Macdonald
Philip Lees

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:41
Member (2005)
French to English
Computing usage Jul 31, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

...when I set it to British English, (...) it thinks "program" is a word.

The trouble is, "program" is the correct UK spelling in computing contexts.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you obey your spell-checker software?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »