Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >
Off topic: Completely frivolous thread
Thread poster: Tom in London
Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Less frivolous than frustrating Feb 2, 2021

I just thought this little bit of KudoZ magic today deserved a wider audience:

Norwegian term or phrase: Skjæringstidspunktet etter el §60

Lazy/useless bugger: What is "el"?

Chris S: Ekteskapsloven. I timed myself on Google. 13 seconds.

Chris S: Marriage Act. Another 4 seconds. I’m so good at this I should do it professionally.

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis
Angie Garbarino
Zibow Retailleau
Felipe Lacerda

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 21:19
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Let me resurrect the 80s Feb 3, 2021

and keep digging my Youtube videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljYRbx4XipQ

Zibow Retailleau
Christopher Schröder
Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:20
Spanish to English
+ ...
Come back, Tom Feb 3, 2021

Come on, Tom, please don't go. Everybody misses you, and I'm sorry I annoyed you so much.

P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau
Matthias Brombach
expressisverbis

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Seconded and thirded Feb 3, 2021

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Come on, Tom, please don't go. Everybody misses you, and I'm sorry I annoyed you so much.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Zibow Retailleau
Matthias Brombach
expressisverbis

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
And our ... Feb 3, 2021

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Everybody misses you

... Secret Services don't know anything about you (my neighbours have just asked them).

Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Felipe Lacerda
Felipe Lacerda  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:20
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Seriously Feb 3, 2021

Chris S wrote:

I just thought this little bit of KudoZ magic today deserved a wider audience:

Norwegian term or phrase: Skjæringstidspunktet etter el §60

Lazy/useless bugger: What is "el"?

Chris S: Ekteskapsloven. I timed myself on Google. 13 seconds.

Chris S: Marriage Act. Another 4 seconds. I’m so good at this I should do it professionally.

You should have sent them this:

http://letmegooglethat.com/?q=Skjæringstidspunktet%20etter%20el%20§60

Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:20
English to Arabic
+ ...
advanced age lay(wo)men & our profession Feb 5, 2021

https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/349157-output-page2.html

That's not what a translator does, you're all making it sound weird. Sickos!😝😂😝😂😝😂

A translator simply pimps out their services, providing LAP (language-assisted performance) dances, stripping source-text-naked on the sturdy pol
... See more
https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/349157-output-page2.html

That's not what a translator does, you're all making it sound weird. Sickos!😝😂😝😂😝😂

A translator simply pimps out their services, providing LAP (language-assisted performance) dances, stripping source-text-naked on the sturdy pole of education, experience, SDL (sleep deprivation lifestyle) and (for some around here, clearly) snorting Cocaine off "best-rate" $1 bills (they won't admit it, though), while at the same time conducting after-hours special XBench services.😝😂😝😂😝😂

As for age-unwit:

Pro: don't take it so hard, someone that age would possibly not understand hundreds, if not thousands, of serious jobs, e.g. AutoCAD technician, 3D Modeler, Mechatronics Designer, where the processes and benefits of these are much harder to explain than those of a translator. Even my humble self doesn't understand what "pulling cables on site in Sweden, the USA and elsewhere" means? Is that like Jumper Cables To Nipples?😝😂😝😂😝😂

-"Sir, Sir, good morning Sir, I'm here for the JCTN job. Beg your pardon, Sir? Me? Absolutely, Sir, I'm more than qualified, I've always been a team player, an are-y'all(a)-xcited-people kind of guy"😝😂😝😂😝😂

Anti: take it easy people, you have to accept the difference, like when you became adults and accepted that you can no longer fit your body under a piece of household furniture that you used to do as a kid.

Some now won't even fit in their last Christmas-bought pants anyway!😝😂😝😂😝😂

Disclaimer: any unauthorized re-use, reproduction and/or distribution of the above in whatever form and by whatever medium (including your water-cooler-gossip, pillow-talk, and other such nonsense) for whole or part for personal or otherwise non-commercial/commercial use, it will be your nipple(s) on the cable(s)......then......I will sue ☞ (2021©)😝😂😝😂😝😂
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Once again ... Feb 7, 2021

... I have no idea what you're talking about. Could you elaborate a little? Coherently, I mean. Without all the slashes and brackets and exclamation marks and smilies. They just get in the way, you know!!! Perhaps they block your good (or bad) news for modern (or not so modern) man!!!!!!! (and woman!!!!!!!) Huh??? Huh!!!!

Oh dear. You see, it's catching. And "age-unwit"? I'm dreadfully sorry, but you've lost me there. No, no, you haven't just lost me there. You've lost us there. An
... See more
... I have no idea what you're talking about. Could you elaborate a little? Coherently, I mean. Without all the slashes and brackets and exclamation marks and smilies. They just get in the way, you know!!! Perhaps they block your good (or bad) news for modern (or not so modern) man!!!!!!! (and woman!!!!!!!) Huh??? Huh!!!!

Oh dear. You see, it's catching. And "age-unwit"? I'm dreadfully sorry, but you've lost me there. No, no, you haven't just lost me there. You've lost us there. And by "us" I mean the entire planet. Does this strange intro mean no wit due to age? And what is this obsession with nipples and cables? Do you refer to wire-pulling over lingerie catalogues? Mm. Enjoy ...
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau
Matthias Brombach
expressisverbis

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
English to Arabic
+ ...
..... Feb 7, 2021

Do NOT blame me for your own shortcoming. It's all in there, very clear, for the witty person to grasp!

The one that tripped you is "are-y'all(a)-xcited-people kind of guy", right?

Here is a breakdown more suited for your school year 😝😂😝😂😝😂 (prepared at the same day of the joke, in anticipation of this friendly inquisition of yours):

-----
(((are-y'all(a))2-(x)4cited-people)1 kind of guy)3

1. Are you all excited people.
... See more
Do NOT blame me for your own shortcoming. It's all in there, very clear, for the witty person to grasp!

The one that tripped you is "are-y'all(a)-xcited-people kind of guy", right?

Here is a breakdown more suited for your school year 😝😂😝😂😝😂 (prepared at the same day of the joke, in anticipation of this friendly inquisition of yours):

-----
(((are-y'all(a))2-(x)4cited-people)1 kind of guy)3

1. Are you all excited people. Cheerleading other team members, as a team-player trait.
2. Areola. For the jumpered nipples.
3. Areola-excited-people kind of guy. The kind of guy that belongs to the group of people with an areola fetish.
4. Xcited. Nipples, areolas, sexual context.

I like to, and can, make complex jokes with several folds! That's how good I am!
-----

I must say, only you can stop the train of fun derailing it into BLUE town.

On a different note: I can still see your inquisition post is still intact. What? No edits for Sweet Sadek? 😝😂😝😂😝😂

Oh, look, 2 members of your full-time support group have just "stamped" their likes already! Good for you, and for them, I guess! Whatever floats your boats and sinks your shorts, people! 😝😂😝😂😝😂

[Edited at 2021-02-07 19:03 GMT]
Collapse

Zibow Retailleau
Zibow Retailleau  Identity Verified
Mauritius
English to Chinese
+ ...
Let us ... Feb 7, 2021

... calm down ...

[Edited at 2021-02-07 19:34 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Don't mess ... Feb 7, 2021

... with an American Gangster. I think that's the film, anyway. I know it wasn't The Sound of Music.

Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Only you can stop the train of fun derailing it into BLUE town Feb 7, 2021

Right. I was just about to say the very same thing, only you beat me to it. It's so annoying when that train of fun derails it into blue town, isn't it? I hate that kind of thing.

[Edited at 2021-02-07 19:47 GMT]

Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
@Sadek: Feb 7, 2021

Whenever some people (adult people) here write something, that is considered to be as adult content (and is read by adult people), you go mad. So, would you please tell us, what your problem is?

[Bearbeitet am 2021-02-07 20:09 GMT]

expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio

Sanjin Grandić
Sanjin Grandić  Identity Verified
Croatia
Member (2020)
French to Croatian
+ ...
Just a song Feb 7, 2021

Hi people.

Just wanted to share this song I like very much translated in English, the original is sang in Spanish by Manu Chao.
The name of the song is "Calle"

The translation is not perfect but it is acceptable.

https://youtu.be/ayq9jzUck78

Have a good morning/day evening depending on where you are -:)

S

Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
Matthias Brombach

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Mervyn's full-time support group Feb 8, 2021

Now that the cat is out of the bag, we might as well put a name to this fan-tastic entity.

My 2 proposals:

The Mervynettes or The Hendersonians.

The first one sounds sexist – which may appeal to a certain kind of dinosaurs – but we'd use it ironically, and it has a definite Motown, groovy ring to it.

The second one is to highlight the sort of erudite, cultured, cosmopolitan bunch that we represent.

[Edited at 202
... See more
Now that the cat is out of the bag, we might as well put a name to this fan-tastic entity.

My 2 proposals:

The Mervynettes or The Hendersonians.

The first one sounds sexist – which may appeal to a certain kind of dinosaurs – but we'd use it ironically, and it has a definite Motown, groovy ring to it.

The second one is to highlight the sort of erudite, cultured, cosmopolitan bunch that we represent.

[Edited at 2021-02-08 09:59 GMT]
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Zibow Retailleau
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Completely frivolous thread

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »