Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >
Off topic: Completely frivolous thread
Thread poster: Tom in London
Zibow Retailleau
Zibow Retailleau  Identity Verified
Mauritius
Local time: 12:57
English to Chinese
+ ...
Made my day! Apr 16, 2021

Thank you, Matthias! The Mandarin part cracked me up. I saw that Confucius was mentioned in the song. Allow me to share some of the sage's wisdom.

Edit: Hmm, the photo doesn't appear and I don't know how to add it to my post. Sorry! Maybe I can't add photos any more because I'm not a paying member.

[Edited at 2021-04-16 07:50 GMT]

Matthias Brombach
P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:57
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
But ... Apr 16, 2021

Zibow Retailleau wrote:

Thank you, Matthias! The Mandarin part cracked me up. I saw that Confucius was mentioned in the song. Allow me to share some of the sage's wisdom.

Edit: Hmm, the photo doesn't appear and I don't know how to add it to my post. Sorry! Maybe I can't add photos any more because I'm not a paying member.

[Edited at 2021-04-16 07:50 GMT]

... the wisdoms of Confucius aren't to be shared on digital photos, please, I beg your pardon! Try to upload his pearls of wisdom on a nice plate made of the finest china. Or provide a link? I once uploaded a glass of Guinness for a colleague, and it worked, apart from the fact, that the foam figured a rather cosy elk wearing an existentialists style sweater. Something must have been wrong with the upload filter in Syracuse, I believe.

Zibow Retailleau
P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis

Zibow Retailleau
Mauritius
English to Chinese
+ ...
Alas, Apr 16, 2021

I have neither fine china nor the link. You see, when Confucius said it there wasn't the Internet. Sorry.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
Matthias Brombach
expressisverbis

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Everybody likes Chinese Apr 16, 2021

"Fancy a Chinese?" A sentence repeated up and down the land, as I remember (Britain and West Britain, plus one former British dominion that didn't want to be Britain any more).

"I'll pop down to The Great Wall or that new Old Shanghai place they've just opened, will I?" And people would say, "Yes, I love Chinese" - "A Chinese would be just the ticket" - "I'm gagging for a Chinese, me", or - in a rather strange and apparently sinister idiom - "I could murder a Chinese."

... See more
"Fancy a Chinese?" A sentence repeated up and down the land, as I remember (Britain and West Britain, plus one former British dominion that didn't want to be Britain any more).

"I'll pop down to The Great Wall or that new Old Shanghai place they've just opened, will I?" And people would say, "Yes, I love Chinese" - "A Chinese would be just the ticket" - "I'm gagging for a Chinese, me", or - in a rather strange and apparently sinister idiom - "I could murder a Chinese."

Some of us here happen to know, by the way, that Zibow is an accomplished Chinese cook too, but not restricted to Chinese cuisine. Just about everything, in fact. She's mentioned stuff to us I've never heard of before, and too scared to ask.
Collapse

Zibow Retailleau
P.L.F. Persio
Matthias Brombach
expressisverbis

Zibow Retailleau
Mauritius
English to Chinese
+ ...
Blushing Apr 16, 2021

Thank you for your very kind words, Mervyn! To be honest, I'm prouder of my chopstick skills but no one seems to give a fork about it.

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder
Wolfgang Schoene
Matthias Brombach

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Fork!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Apr 16, 2021

Wonferdul!

Zibow Retailleau
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Chopsticks Apr 16, 2021

I think I must have been Chinese in a past life as I was such a natural with the chopsticks. One in each nostril, sorted.

Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
Matthias Brombach

Zibow Retailleau
Mauritius
English to Chinese
+ ...
Denying reality? Apr 16, 2021

No, Gerard, I don’t suffer from any psychoses. I meant what I wrote. If you hate the country so much, for your own good, move to another one.

Not a native speaker, but I don’t think you really understand what ‘authoritarianism’ means. I recommend that you look this word up before throwing it around because the misuse of it can be incredibly annoying to the people who do understand what it means.

[Edited at 2021-04-16 16:27 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
Matthias Brombach
expressisverbis
Baran Keki
Rachel Fell
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Self-deleted Apr 16, 2021

Self-deleted

[Edited at 2021-04-16 14:43 GMT]

Matthias Brombach
expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
German to English
Look at the facts Apr 16, 2021

Zibow Retailleau wrote:

No, Gerard, I don’t suffer from any psychoses. I meant what I wrote. If you hate the country so much, for your own good, move to another one.

Not a native speaker, but I don’t think you really understand what ‘authoritarianism’ means. I recommend that you look this word up before throwing it around because the misuse of it can be incredibly annoying to the people who do understand what it means.

[Edited at 2021-04-16 16:27 GMT]

In the current corona times, there aren't too many liberal countries to move to unfortunately. I see that you're living in Mauritius. If you think Europe is still a beacon of liberalism and freedom, I suggest you come here and see what we're currently turning into. We're going exactly in the same direction as authoritarian regimes like China and I make no apologies for anyone for saying that.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:57
Member (2004)
English to Italian
? Apr 17, 2021

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Self-deleted

You haven't... you are still here.

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Zibow Retailleau
Rachel Fell

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ee ... Apr 17, 2021

Oh yes, so I am. Good job you told me, Giovanni! I was wondering why I'd done nothing all morning ...

Zibow Retailleau
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Blindness and cowardice - and stupidity? Apr 18, 2021

Gerard Barry wrote:
That's it, keep your eyes closed as the world is becoming ever more authoritarian and our freedoms are being taken away from us. But of course it's always easier to go with the flow and do what you're told by those in authority, isn't it?

Don’t you find it odd how every time the infection rate goes down, the authorities start giving us back our freedoms? It’s almost as though they didn’t want to take them away in the first place.

Have you thought maybe there’s a middle way between the two extremes of sheeple and conspiracists?

[Edited at 2021-04-20 11:53 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis
Matthias Brombach

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
" ... it's always easier to go with the flow and do what you're told by those in authority" Apr 18, 2021

Of course it is. But I've been zapped, closed down and greyed out more times than I care to remember on this very forum for voicing my often unsought opinions, so please spare me the guff about authority. I am nothing if not somebody against authority, which you would know if you read more of the "sarcastic crap" I write here. At least I get a laugh now and again, whereas all you inspire is a yawn. That "sarcastic crap" is a direct quote from you, when you wrote to me in private not long ago, wh... See more
Of course it is. But I've been zapped, closed down and greyed out more times than I care to remember on this very forum for voicing my often unsought opinions, so please spare me the guff about authority. I am nothing if not somebody against authority, which you would know if you read more of the "sarcastic crap" I write here. At least I get a laugh now and again, whereas all you inspire is a yawn. That "sarcastic crap" is a direct quote from you, when you wrote to me in private not long ago, whining that that you were going to tell teacher about me. As Matthias usefully pointed out at the time.

And he pointed it out because you're the very first to go crying to the teacher in the playground because someone stole your biccies, despite all your bollocksy bollock-grinding bollocks about how we shouldn't give in to the big bad authorities.

[Edited at 2021-04-18 18:08 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-04-19 04:14 GMT]
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau
Christopher Schröder
Matthias Brombach
expressisverbis
Barbara Carrara

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Why take him for granted... Apr 18, 2021

... because he's just one of the useful idiots of this guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Björn_Höcke?wprov=sfla1

It bursts the frame of this thread, but the thematic is more complex than I could explain here. There's nothing to say against protesting or to sue against governmental covid measures, but to follow as a grown up these guys is disgusting. I'm
... See more
... because he's just one of the useful idiots of this guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Björn_Höcke?wprov=sfla1

It bursts the frame of this thread, but the thematic is more complex than I could explain here. There's nothing to say against protesting or to sue against governmental covid measures, but to follow as a grown up these guys is disgusting. I'm fine with people with true conservative or liberal and even far left opinions, but these new movements like Querdenker, Pegida or AfD lead to nothing constructive, and they know it. Attacking journalists on Querdenker demonstrations and spreading conspiracy theories: "Gerard", you are such a great democratic, Ernst Röhm would have been proud of you, as Frau Schmidt is. And to come back to the topic of this great thread, she would say: "Hüh, mein Pferdchen!"

[Bearbeitet am 2021-04-18 19:38 GMT]
Collapse

Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Completely frivolous thread

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »