Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Corrected Feb 26, 2021

Corrected sorry Matthias

[Edited at 2021-02-26 12:42 GMT]

Matthias Brombach

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Quotes hidden post.
Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:42
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Compulink Feb 26, 2021

Tom in London wrote:
Then maybe, like me, you were on good old IRC (Internet Relay Chat) - which still exists.

No, actually it was Cix, where I still have an account. Before that I had an account on JANET. Telnetting over to the US networks from the small computer room on the top floor of SOAS felt like science fiction in 1988...

Hey, Mervyn and Chris - why don't you go over there?

All the cool kids are on Discord or Clubhouse these days Tom. Besides, Mervyn and Chris are busy looking out for those thread-wreckers you mentioned earlier.

Dan

P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau

Felipe Lacerda
Felipe Lacerda  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:42
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
HURRAH HURRAH Feb 26, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

At least we know who's doing it (look at the most recent posts)

[Edited at 2021-02-16 15:00 GMT]

Grab your torches and pitchforks, folks!

P.L.F. Persio

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Quoting a removed post.
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Quoting a removed post.
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
Of course Feb 27, 2021

Watch as the dawn comes up like thunder out of China across the way.

expressisverbis

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Help is at hand Feb 27, 2021

I know there's been a lot of traffic to and fro lately, Lincoln, some in your favour (Tom, for example), some not (Tom, for example), and some who can't make up their minds (Tom, for example).

You have a lot going on in your head right now, so let's see if I can help you out. Why don't you step into my office and lie down on that divan? Yes, that one, the comfy one right there, go on, lie down and spit it all out, why don't you.

Now, let's do a gentle analysis here, se
... See more
I know there's been a lot of traffic to and fro lately, Lincoln, some in your favour (Tom, for example), some not (Tom, for example), and some who can't make up their minds (Tom, for example).

You have a lot going on in your head right now, so let's see if I can help you out. Why don't you step into my office and lie down on that divan? Yes, that one, the comfy one right there, go on, lie down and spit it all out, why don't you.

Now, let's do a gentle analysis here, see if we can help at all. Because that's what forums are for, aren't they, to help each other out. Unless you're Julius Caesar, ha-ha, especially around this time of year, with the Ides of March just around the corner, and the forum didn't help him out very much, did it?

That's a lovely white shirt you're wearing there, by the way. Did you iron that yourself? You did? And that tie? Well, well. Very smart. A formal occasion, was it, that photo of you at the piano? Is it a piano? Or is it a desk? Or a coffin, maybe? Is that because of the necroposts? A formal occasion, anyway, behind those rather severe yellow (steady on, it's just a description of the colour - no judgments here, ha-ha) blinds or curtains or shrouds or whatever they are.

Yes, dress to impress. Strictly indoors stuff, though, or looks like. Don't you get out at all? To practise your smile, maybe. Not much of a smile there. You're not a smiler, are you? It's really easy, and you should try it, because it makes you feel much better. All you have to do is think of something nice, and your lips widen and your mouth opens, and that's all there is to it, you're smiling. And you know what they say - smile, and the world smiles with you. If you go far enough, you may even hear a sound or two, and then, you know, you're laughing, and the world laughs with you. Instead of at you. Can't think of anything nice? That's no problem. Just think of someone thinking of something nice, and you can do it indirectly. Can you do that? Good. Oh, I'm afraid your time's up. But ... well done, lad. We can build on this. Yes, we can.

[Edited at 2021-02-27 21:50 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-02-28 08:25 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
Cilian O'Tuama
Matthias Brombach

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
About "White Masters" and resuscitation of old threads Feb 28, 2021

white master
a person who is extremely white and shit at basketball
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=white%20master

I am not extremely white and I was very good at basketball!
Sorry, you're very mistaken!

Regarding the topic:
I don't giv
... See more
white master

Regarding the topic:
I don't give a damn for reviving old threads, although I find it somewhat annoying if there is an answer that doesn't add anything new or interesting, and doesn't strictly teach anything to any member.
What I don't understand is leaving an answer to esteemed deceased colleagues, which I see it as a very disrespectful behaviour.
And what I find disturbing is the people's mind. That's it!

[Edited at 2021-02-28 12:40 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-03-01 09:32 GMT]
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Angie Garbarino
P.L.F. Persio
Robert Rietvelt
Christel Zipfel
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Leave him alone... Feb 28, 2021

expressisverbis wrote:

white master

Regarding the topic:
I don't give a damn for reviving old threads, although I find it somewhat annoying if there is an answer that doesn't add anything new or interesting, and doesn't strictly teach anything to any member.
What I don't understand is leaving an answer to estimated deceased colleagues, which I see it as a very disrespectful behaviour.
And what I find disturbing is the people's mind. That's it!

[Edited at 2021-02-28 12:40 GMT]

and don't interact. This is exactly what he wants (and to annoy people, of course). He will get bored of it.

Angie Garbarino
expressisverbis
Tom in London
P.L.F. Persio

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Agree Feb 28, 2021

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

and don't interact.

I don't intend to do so, because I (really) have other plans!

Angie Garbarino
P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
More and more Feb 28, 2021

I notice from the list that Lincoln has decided to go on a madman's spree of opening as many old threads as possible. I would recommend that NOBODY should add any comments to them. That will make him stop. Look at the start date of each thread. If it goes away back to 2003 or something, do not get involved with it.

[Edited at 2021-02-28 17:26 GMT]

Angie Garbarino
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
lol... Mar 1, 2021

one of my posts in another thread complaining about the necroposting and replying to deceased people has been removed because off topic and not in line with the site rules on forums #4... amazing! Well done, staff...

P.L.F. Persio
Dan Lucas
Robert Rietvelt
expressisverbis
Barbara Carrara
Christel Zipfel
Angie Garbarino

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
You should do standup Mar 1, 2021

seriously, or maybe not so seri...

lol

Anyway

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

[Edited at 2021-03-01 10:30 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Resuscitation of 20 years old threads is disturbing

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »