Thread poster: Robert INGLEDEW
Robert INGLEDEW
Robert INGLEDEW  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 24, 2002

First, I wish to welcome those who, taking advantage of the exchange rate to the Dollar, decide to spend their vacations or holidays in one of the most beautiful countries of the American Continent.

Some persons are afraid of coming due to the unsafety mentioned so many times by the television stations. During 9 years I had to supervise 34 countries in Latin America and the Caribbean for a non-profit organisation of the USA, and I may tell you that just being reasonably car
... See more
First, I wish to welcome those who, taking advantage of the exchange rate to the Dollar, decide to spend their vacations or holidays in one of the most beautiful countries of the American Continent.

Some persons are afraid of coming due to the unsafety mentioned so many times by the television stations. During 9 years I had to supervise 34 countries in Latin America and the Caribbean for a non-profit organisation of the USA, and I may tell you that just being reasonably careful, you will not find more danger in Argentina than in any other country in the Continent.

First tip: Unsafety is always in the largest cities in any country of the world. If you have other options, do not enter to the country through Buenos Aires, and if you do, do not accept the offers of taxis when you leave the Immigration Department. Go to the official stands. It will cost you more, but you will feel safer.

NEVER change your money on the street. And do not show off your camcorders or photo cameras in the large cities. In the tourist areas, the risk is minimal.

If you do stay in Buenos Aires, which is a beautiful city, do not go alone to solitary areas and late in the night. If you do this, you should have a nice time there also.

International flights also arrive at the airports of Mendoza, Córdoba and Salta, ideal places to start off a tour throughout the country. But at least in Córdoba there is no foreign money exchange at the airport, so you should arrive at the country with change (1, 5 and 10 Dollar bills). A taxi driver may accept a five dollar bill, but don´t expect him to give you the change of one hundred dollars.

If you decide to come in through Chile, travel to Puerto Montt (14 hours by bus from Santiago, on executive class very comfortable buses, or one hour by plane) and take the tour \"navigating the Andes\" to Bariloche. If you can split the tour in two days and stay at Peulla, do it. The route is extremely beautiful and you would not want to do it sleeping. And if you can, stay over one or two nights at Puerto Blest.

Before leaving Puerto Montt, you may take a 4-day cruise to the San Rafael Glacier. It is really worthwhile.

Do not buy your tours abroad, unless if you want to spend twice or three times more. I have notices that one night at the Sheraton Mar del Plata bought in the USA costs 120 Dollars, while in Mar del Plata you can find a room in a good 3-star hotel for 20 Dollars.

Remember that the long distance buses in Argentina are comfortable and cheap. A trip in a sleeping coach (comparable to first class in international flights) including hot dinner on board from Buenos Aires to Córdoba (700 kilometres or 450 miles) costs only 12 US Dollars.

There are tour packages at very good prices in Argentina. To have an idea of the costs, visit this page:

http://www.ativiajes.com

and divide the prices in pesos by 3.50 to have the cost in US Dollars. Although this page says that these rates are only for residents in Argentina, you can get very similar prices in smaller agencies, regardless of if you are a national, or not.

To have an idea of the beauties you can visit (I would recommend Bariloche, Lago Argentino (Calafate), Ushuaia, Puerto Madryn, Iguazú, Mar del Plata/Villa Gessel/Pinamar and Northwestern Argentina) I suggest visiting these sites. I am not acquainted with these agencies, some have expensive prices, it is just to give you an idea of what you will find when you get here:

http://www.amazingargentina.com/html/amazing_attractions/gateway_patagonia/amat_6.php

http://www.alojargentina.com.ar/picture.html

This last site has a beautiful gallery of photos of the most interesting places.

http://www.interhabit.com/site/Loc-argentina/pinamar/galeria-fotos_en.asp#

I would suggest making searches in internet with the following key words:

1: Navegando los Andes

2: Glaciar Perito Moreno

3: Iguazú

4: Tren a las nubes

5: Ushuaia

6: Pinamar

7: Esquel / Parque Nacional Los Alerces

Remember: do not make reservations by internet, it will cost you more money. Wait until you arrive and you will get better deals

I look forward to meeting you, if you come to Mar del Plata.

Enjoy Argentina! Now is the right time to visit us.

Roberto Ingledew

Collapse

Gideon van Zoest
Gideon van Zoest
Local time: 20:13
German to Dutch
+ ...
This is a translation forum Sep 24, 2002

Interesting story about a interesting country. To my opinion however the wrong place, for this is a translator\'s forum.

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
This is the reason why this "Off Topic" forum was created Sep 24, 2002

Hi Gideon

The idea was that there were a lot of forums where everything regarding translation could be discuss (here in ProZ), but those who have another forum (Spanish, French, German) could talk about other subjects whereas it couldn\'t been done in English.

So you\'re wrong, as Robert is in the Off Topic forum, he\'s in the right place to comment about tourism if he wants so.

And I don\'t think this is not interesting for all the Spanish translators in
... See more
Hi Gideon

The idea was that there were a lot of forums where everything regarding translation could be discuss (here in ProZ), but those who have another forum (Spanish, French, German) could talk about other subjects whereas it couldn\'t been done in English.

So you\'re wrong, as Robert is in the Off Topic forum, he\'s in the right place to comment about tourism if he wants so.

And I don\'t think this is not interesting for all the Spanish translators in the world (for example).

Quote:

On 2002-09-24 19:23, gvanzoest wrote:

Interesting story about a interesting country. To my opinion however the wrong place, for this is a translator\'s forum.

Collapse

Gustavo Strobel (X)
Gustavo Strobel (X)  Identity Verified
English to Portuguese
+ ...
way to go Robert! Sep 24, 2002

This is also a site for sharing culture and humanity. Two thumbs up for you Robert! I was eager to know how tourism in Argentina really is now.

Gideon van Zoest
Gideon van Zoest
German to Dutch
+ ...
You are right! Sep 25, 2002

Thanks for your remark! You are right indeed!

Quote:

On 2002-09-24 21:10, c.iglesias wrote:

Hi Gideon

So you\'re wrong, as Robert is... See more
Thanks for your remark! You are right indeed!

Quote:

On 2002-09-24 21:10, c.iglesias wrote:

Hi Gideon

And I don\'t think this is not interesting for all the Spanish translators in the world (for example).

Quote:

On 2002-09-24 19:23, gvanzoest wrote:

Collapse

Valeria Verona
Valeria Verona  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
more info Sep 26, 2002

For those who would like more up-to-date, complete information about Argentina you can go to http://www.lonelyplanet.com (destination Argentina).

It\'s excellent and accurate.

Greetings from Buenos Aires.

Valeria

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 03:13
Chinese to English
+ ...
Traveling Jan 29, 2021

Now is probably not a good time for tourism in Argentina, even if the situation there might not be as bad as some of its neighboring countries.

María C Turri
María C Turri  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2019)
English to Spanish
It is a good time indeed- in covid terms but... Jan 30, 2021

Lincoln Hui wrote:

Now is probably not a good time for tourism in Argentina, even if the situation there might not be as bad as some of its neighboring countries.

Sorry to contradict you, Lincoln. Even in Buenos Aires, we're quite good in Covid-19 terms, certainly not worse than any other countries. Summer and outdoor activities really help in this regard, and we have lots of options to avoid crowded places, like the ones that were previously mentioned. However, anyone who wants to fly in from abroad should check travel restrictions, since there are frequent changes while the covid situation develops.

expressisverbis

Lincoln Hui
Hong Kong
Chinese to English
+ ...
Different standards Jan 31, 2021

María C Turri wrote:

Lincoln Hui wrote:

Sorry to contradict you, Lincoln. Even in Buenos Aires, we're quite good in Covid-19 terms, certainly not worse than any other countries. Summer and outdoor activities really help in this regard, and we have lots of options to avoid crowded places, like the ones that were previously mentioned. However, anyone who wants to fly in from abroad should check travel restrictions, since there are frequent changes while the covid situation develops.

We have vastly different standards about what constitutes "good", that's all.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Lincoln Jan 31, 2021

Lincoln Hui wrote:

Can you tell us why you're saying this, Lincoln? What did Argentina ever do to you? Your trolling is losing you good reputation.

Angie Garbarino
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Thomas T. Frost
Elena Feriani
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Joe France

Lincoln Hui
Hong Kong
Chinese to English
+ ...
@Samuel Jan 31, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

Lincoln Hui wrote:

Can you tell us why you're saying this, Lincoln? What did Argentina ever do to you? Your trolling is losing you good reputation.

I'm not sure if you've noticed, but there is a global pandemic going on, and as much as some people may want to think otherwise, Argentina is not exactly a low-risk country at the moment.

Also, you need to stop calling people names.

[Edited at 2021-01-31 10:34 GMT]

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Yes but.. Jan 31, 2021

Lincoln Hui wrote:
I'm not sure if you've noticed, but there is a global pandemic going on, and as much as some people may want to think otherwise, Argentina is not exactly a low-risk country at the moment.

This thread dates 2001, what is the purpose of resuscitating it just for stating now after 20 years that Argentina is not a good place for tourism? Yes exactly there is a global pandemic going on "GLOBAL", exactly GLOBAL, not only in Argentina.

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
IrinaN
María C Turri
Felipe Lacerda

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:13
Japanese to English
+ ...
Argentina Feb 2, 2021

How is this a good time for Argentina with all of the bars and restaurants closed? Buenos Aires lives outdoors on its pavement cafes and the famed Gato Negro cafe seems closed for good. Reality check.

María C Turri
María C Turri  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2019)
English to Spanish
Not much is closed right now Feb 2, 2021

Michael Newton wrote:

How is this a good time for Argentina with all of the bars and restaurants closed? Buenos Aires lives outdoors on its pavement cafes and the famed Gato Negro cafe seems closed for good. Reality check.

I'm sorry to contradict you, Michael, but I am Argentinian and not much is really closed now (only theaters and cinemas), restaurants just have time restrictions to operate but are definitely open. We do have an economic crisis (as most of the time, but worsened due to the pandemics), which may be responsible for the closure of the café you mentioned, as well as many other businesses.

Anyway, I agree with Angie in that there is no point in bringing back this old post to promote tourism right now. Repatriation flights are mostly over and I wouldn't risk being stuck on any foreign country at the moment.

P.L.F. Persio
Angie Garbarino
expressisverbis

Lincoln Hui
Hong Kong
Chinese to English
+ ...
And Feb 2, 2021

Angie Garbarino wrote:

This thread dates 2001, what is the purpose of resuscitating it just for stating now after 20 years that Argentina is not a good place for tourism?

Is that a problem? Why are you so worked up?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Argentina - now is a good time for tourism

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »