How do I replicate charts from PDF into Word?
Thread poster: Zhanna Rohalska
Zhanna Rohalska
Zhanna Rohalska
United States
Local time: 15:20
English to Russian
+ ...
Nov 18, 2014

By redrawing them in Lucid chart or maybe somehow through Adobe Acrobat?

Thanks!

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:20
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Don't go there! Nov 18, 2014

Zhanna Rohalska wrote:
By redrawing them in Lucid chart or maybe somehow through Adobe Acrobat?

Zhanna, unless you're being paid specifically to recreate these charts, my advice is "don't". As an ex-professional chart maker, I know to my cost that creating charts often turns out to be both more difficult and more time-consuming than first expected.

If the client specifically asked me to include the charts, my approach would be to zoom in on the chart in the PDF file - so as to get a good quality picture on the screen - then use a screen capture utility such as SnagIt or Hypersnap to copy an image of the screen to the clipboard. I would paste this picture into Word and add a table below the chart with the source and target terms listed in two columns.

Regards
Dan

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Try Abbyy Fine Reader Nov 19, 2014

or other OCR software. It might produce a Word file containing a usable copy of the chart, even if it has too many errors to be worth working on in place of the PDF file.

Georgi Kovachev
Georgi Kovachev  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 21:20
Member (2010)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
You could try a very simple approach Nov 19, 2014

Hi Zhanna,

There is no need to consider very complex solutions involving additional software. I have come to this very simple and efficient method of inserting and translating charts:
After copying and pasting the charts in Word, you could insert text boxes (in Word) that could be placed just over the original text and thus to achieve charts as close to the original ones as possible.

If your PDF file is not a scanned document and allows copying, you will be impres
... See more
Hi Zhanna,

There is no need to consider very complex solutions involving additional software. I have come to this very simple and efficient method of inserting and translating charts:
After copying and pasting the charts in Word, you could insert text boxes (in Word) that could be placed just over the original text and thus to achieve charts as close to the original ones as possible.

If your PDF file is not a scanned document and allows copying, you will be impressed by the result. In case it is, you could use OCR software to extract the chart, together with the rest of the text, and proceed as proposed.

Regards,
Georgi
Collapse

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
You could use screenshots Nov 19, 2014

Very often in such situation I use window snipping tool and copy from pdf the required fragment - be it a logo, picture or a chart. It is not as good as a chart created in let's say Excel but then, as Dab has pointed out, as translators we are usually paid for translation text not creating layout, charts, etc. And when I paste in a bitmap copied from the source pdf, it gives the client idea as to what should be in that place and if need be, he may replace it with custom made chart.

... See more
Very often in such situation I use window snipping tool and copy from pdf the required fragment - be it a logo, picture or a chart. It is not as good as a chart created in let's say Excel but then, as Dab has pointed out, as translators we are usually paid for translation text not creating layout, charts, etc. And when I paste in a bitmap copied from the source pdf, it gives the client idea as to what should be in that place and if need be, he may replace it with custom made chart.

Best Regards
Stanislaw
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I replicate charts from PDF into Word?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »