Luke Hubbard (X)
Luke Hubbard (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:22
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the discussion Dec 6, 2018

Hi,

Thank you all for the interesting discussion, pleased that I don't have to get a particular package and a I can choose it to suit my needs.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:22
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Re: MS Office alternatives Dec 7, 2018

Georgi Kovachev wrote:
I know of an alternative to the Microsoft Office suite and wonder if anyone has tried it. Here is a link: https://www.ashampoo.com/en/usd/pde/1238/office-software/office-2018

AFAIK it's essentially a rebranded version of TextMaker from the German company SoftMaker, and TextMaker is free. The big question is: do any CAT tools support the TextMaker's .tmd file format?

Of course, there are many word processors out there, and even ones that are not really compatible with MS Word can still be fully featured (e.g. AbiWord or WordPerfect, or online tools like ZoHo, WPS and Polaris), but you have to ask: what are your needs? Will you ever have to receive MS Word files from a client or fellow-translator and return files to them with everything in it intact? USD 100 per year for MS Word is not expensive if you want to buy a little peace of mind.

Georgi Kovachev

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 13:22
Chinese to English
+ ...
The price of convenience Dec 19, 2018

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Its more convenient to pay once a year than using a non-subscription software. With the latter you end up paying suddenly a lot for an update of your outdated software. If you are out of luck at the same time you'll need to invest in other items too when your account is low.
After all Bill Gates needs to make a living too.

Yes, all I do is spend more than twice as much if I only use the software for 5 years. I'm sticking with my Word 2007, and both Office 365 and the crippled Office 2019 MS is selling can go bugger themselves.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which Mircrosoft Package should I get?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »