Netherlands
Local time: 07:40
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Dec 12, 2018

[Following on from the thread "Which Mircrosoft Package should I get?".]

Samuel Murray wrote:
[Ashampoo Office is] essentially a rebranded version of TextMaker from the German company SoftMaker, and TextMaker is free.

Well, one thing that endears me to TextMaker is that when you install it, you get to choose between ribbon interface and menu/toolbar interface:

textmaker ribbon or menus

...and the menu/toolbar interface does allow for customising the toolbars, just like in Word 2003. I haven't tested it extensively, but it looks like a comprehensive program.

The file format is TMDX, which is a zipped format and uses the Microsoft Office 2010 schema, and although a TMDX file isn't a "Word 2010" file, it may be that CAT tools that can handle DOCX can also handle TMDX. The earlier file format, TMD (a binary format), was used in TextMaker 2006 to 2016. Although TextMaker can open both DOC and DOCX files, it can only save it as DOCX (2016) and not as DOC. When I open a TextMaker generated DOCX file in Word 2003, it identifies it as "Word 2007" and not as "Word 2010" or "Word 2016" (which it is capable of doing), so this may indicate that TextMaker's DOCX files are Word 2007-compatible.

Does anyone here use TextMaker or know of colleagues that use it?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TextMaker

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »