Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Most efficient way to translate PowerPoints which are chock-full of images?
Thread poster: FreelanceBass
IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 06:43
English to Russian
+ ...
Go old-fashion way, there seems to be no other way out indeed Dec 22, 2018

But you can speed up box production. I'm sorry for wasting your time if you already know that.

After you create the first box, type in the text, select font, font size and white background, select it and just keep hitting Ctrl+D to duplicate. That way you can produce an unlimited number of pre-formatted boxes in a second. From my experience, when the slides are heavily populated many captions have similar fonts and font sizes. Changing the text, adjusting box sizes and dragging wi
... See more
But you can speed up box production. I'm sorry for wasting your time if you already know that.

After you create the first box, type in the text, select font, font size and white background, select it and just keep hitting Ctrl+D to duplicate. That way you can produce an unlimited number of pre-formatted boxes in a second. From my experience, when the slides are heavily populated many captions have similar fonts and font sizes. Changing the text, adjusting box sizes and dragging will not go anywhere, of course, but still, this primitive trick really helps to increase the speed tenfold. You can drag each one or create all for the page and then just put it in places. That way you'll be able to make corrections using global replace, if needed, and maintain exact word count even after grouping. Borders can be removed at once when you select all for grouping.

Good luck!
Collapse

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:43
Member (2005)
French to English
Thank you, Tony, for the print-to-PDF tip Dec 23, 2018

Tony M wrote:

In that case, I think the quickest way would be to print the whole PPT out to a PDF file, and then OCR that — it won't help you re-create the formatting of the PPT, but at least it will save you having to retype all the text by hand!

If you OCR it to 'plain text', it would then be fairly easy to format that into a 2-column document into which to type your translations.

Once you have the PDF, I advise keeping a "storage" file from which copies can be taken to experiment the following steps:

- thinning the file's structure;

- processing a copy of the thinned file to make it "readable";

- processing the readable file in a CAT tool that supports this file format (I think this is the case for Studio 2015, and it certainly is for the successor versions 2017 and 2019).

There obviously remains the outputting of the target file from the CAT format in the source-file PPT format. I don't know whether this is possible in Studio.

It may be worth conducting a scaled-down trial on a few pages selected for their abundance of uneditable text in graphics.

I hope this may contribute some useful grist to the discussion.

With kind regards, and best wishes for Christmas and the New Year,

IanDhu.

Ankita Arora
Ankita Arora
India
There is a solution to translate uneditable images Dec 26, 2018

Yes, I understand how painful it is to translate those uneditable images and presentations. OCR was the only way till now. But then how do you do the regeneration of image with correct layout, font styles etc.

Facing these problems ourselves, we decided to build a tool to solve this. To
... See more
Yes, I understand how painful it is to translate those uneditable images and presentations. OCR was the only way till now. But then how do you do the regeneration of image with correct layout, font styles etc.

Facing these problems ourselves, we decided to build a tool to solve this. To use the tool you can follow this guide https://blog.imgtranslate.com/how-to-translate-an-image/

Hope it solves your problem.
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Sounds too good to be true... Dec 27, 2018

Ankita Arora wrote:
But then how do you do the regeneration of image with correct layout, font styles etc.
Facing these problems ourselves, we decided to build a tool to solve this.

On the face of it, sounds wonderful — and on the image used to demonstrate, easy enough to see how it could work.
But... on the introductory image, it looks faked! How does the program cope with an image (as here) where the background has a complex texture? Clearly, when the translated text is re-incorporated, parts of the background will need to be at least 'retouched' — which doesn't appear to have been the case with the illustration, and in any case, how would it be done? An example showing the results in this sort of case would be most welcome!

Also, the post perhaps rather coyly fails to mention if this is a paying service? If so, what system is used: one-off purchase, per-image charge, subscription to service, etc.? All it mentions is tha there is a limit of 10 images — I assume for the 'free trial'?

Ankita Arora
Ankita Arora
India
It does handle the sort of images shown for demo Dec 28, 2018

Tony M wrote:

On the face of it, sounds wonderful — and on the image used to demonstrate, easy enough to see how it could work.
But... on the introductory image, it looks faked! How does the program cope with an image (as here) where the background has a complex texture? Clearly, when the translated text is re-incorporated, parts of the background will need to be at least 'retouched' — which doesn't appear to have been the case with the illustration, and in any case, how would it be done? An example showing the results in this sort of case would be most welcome!

None of the demo images is faked. However, what you are saying is right, when the background of image is very complex, the text has shadows etc. or the image quality itself isn't good, it will need to be retouched. But it does handle the sort of images shown in the https://www.imgtranslate.com/examples page quite well. Nothing is retouched or faked here. Only thing that has to be checked is the translation, as it is auto translated.

Also, you can try out some the demo images real time here : https://www.imgtranslate.com/try_now
Or Sign up and try for yourself.

Also, the post perhaps rather coyly fails to mention if this is a paying service? If so, what system is used: one-off purchase, per-image charge, subscription to service, etc.? All it mentions is tha there is a limit of 10 images — I assume for the 'free trial'?

As we have recently launched this, we are in the process of putting up a proper subscription plan, also adding some more features for it to be complete. There is more information at the website if you would like to checkout.

And, if you have any feedback about the tool, please share.
We are constantly working towards making "too good to be true" actually true.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:43
English to Russian
Just tried it Dec 29, 2018

It looks promising. I did my best to make it fail, but it was very close to good even in my worst possible cases.
A good idea to entertain friends or clients without recourse to corny card tricks =)
However, there are still too many limitations: can't select fonts, can't adjust the translated text box borders and other settings. Only 3 settings are available for adjustment. Wish you good luck in keeping developing your product.

Ankita Arora
Ankita Arora
India
Adding those features soon Jan 2, 2019

Stepan Konev wrote:

It looks promising. I did my best to make it fail, but it was very close to good even in my worst possible cases.
A good idea to entertain friends or clients without recourse to corny card tricks =)
However, there are still too many limitations: can't select fonts, can't adjust the translated text box borders and other settings. Only 3 settings are available for adjustment. Wish you good luck in keeping developing your product.

Thanks Stepan! We are infact adding those features, and you will be seeing the new version very soon.

FreelanceBass
FreelanceBass
United States
Local time: 07:43
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for all of the replies! Jan 7, 2019

Ankita,

That looks like a great tool! Is there some sort of offline option, or are you planning on making one? I'm wary of resorting to online-based tools in general due to confidentiality agreements, etc.

The "text box duplicate" idea is a nice one as well, but this PowerPoint really is ridiculous; most of the text in the images utilizes a variety of different fonts/sizes. It's my fault though, as I really should have taken a closer look at the document before agreein
... See more
Ankita,

That looks like a great tool! Is there some sort of offline option, or are you planning on making one? I'm wary of resorting to online-based tools in general due to confidentiality agreements, etc.

The "text box duplicate" idea is a nice one as well, but this PowerPoint really is ridiculous; most of the text in the images utilizes a variety of different fonts/sizes. It's my fault though, as I really should have taken a closer look at the document before agreeing to work on it - whoever created it definitely did not have translators in mind, and I'm moving at a snail's pace.

TL;DR: I will never be taking a job like this again!
Collapse

Ankita Arora
Ankita Arora
India
Sticking with online version currently Jan 8, 2019

@FreelanceBass
We don't have a plan for making an offline version right now, but we will keep this in mind.

As I mentioned earlier, we are launching a professional version in a couple of weeks, we can give an option to the user of deleting the images after converting them, if needed.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Meh... Jan 8, 2019

Ankita Arora wrote:

...To use the tool you can follow this guide https://blog.imgtranslate.com/how-to-translate-an-image/

Hope it solves your problem.

I've just tried it and was disappointed to find that English is not one of the target languages available. It is therefore of absolutely no interest to me whatsoever.

Ankita Arora
Ankita Arora
India
English is definitely in the list of target languages Jan 9, 2019

neilmac wrote:

I've just tried it and was disappointed to find that English is not one of the target languages available. It is therefore of absolutely no interest to me whatsoever.

@neilmac, Of course it doesn't make sense to not support English as target or source language, as it is the most common language on the internet.

You may have missed it as on the target language side it is at the bottom of the list.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Most efficient way to translate PowerPoints which are chock-full of images?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »