Office: how to use custom dictionaries in more than one language?
Thread poster: Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:41
Danish to English
+ ...
May 27, 2020

Has anybody figured out how to use the Office custom dictionaries efficiently with more than one language? Microsoft doesn't really seem to want to tell us and it isn't obvious.

Here's a screenshot from what is now called Microsoft 365 (formerly known as Office 365):

Annotation 2020-05-27 180011

It's essentially the same in previous versions.

I have a common custom dictionary and a custom dictionary for each language I use.

But the dictionaries for the specific languages are empty. Nothing ever gets added to them. New terms added during the spellcheck all get added to the common dictionary in a big jumble and I don’t get to choose to which dictionary I want a term added.

Brand names are typically the same in all languages, but most words are not, so I would want e.g. 'Ford' in the common dictionary and 'surroundhøjttaler' (surround speaker) in the Danish dictionary.

Any ideas?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Office: how to use custom dictionaries in more than one language?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »