Serena T (X)
Serena T (X)  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 07:31
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 7, 2017

Good morning everybody

I'm starting my adventure with OmegaT and finally I'm dealing with the dictionaries and the Spelling Check.

First of all I'd like to say that I already had a look at the previous conversations about the same topic, as well as I had at some tutorials in Youtube, and at the both EN and IT OmegaT's manuals... but yes, I can't still see my installed (properly?) dictionaries working while translating.

What I've done:
- creation
... See more
Good morning everybody

I'm starting my adventure with OmegaT and finally I'm dealing with the dictionaries and the Spelling Check.

First of all I'd like to say that I already had a look at the previous conversations about the same topic, as well as I had at some tutorials in Youtube, and at the both EN and IT OmegaT's manuals... but yes, I can't still see my installed (properly?) dictionaries working while translating.

What I've done:
- creation of a folder in my Hard-disk (desktop) and renamed "Dizionari";
- checked the voice "Spelling check";
- chosen the "Dizionari" folder and then installed my dictionaries from this list (I've tried few of them): http://www.omegat.org/en/howtos/spelling.html actually, the dictionaries that I wanted were downloaded without problem...
-checked the format and they are .aff and .dic; so I renamed these dictionaries as suggested: en_EN and it_ IT (not necessary for the last one);

and finally I tried to translate from EN to IT, making errors in my target language (on purpose) but nothing never happened.
Before to bother you, I' ve tried many times.
I don't understand if I'm lost in some passages, if it may be because of my internet connection (I'm hotspotting myself this morning because I'm in holiday and without a proper WI-FI)...

Windows is my operating system.

I'll be glad if you can help me to figure it out where the problem it may be hidden.
I wish you a nice day

Serena
Collapse

Dragomir Kovacevic
Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:31
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
there is no en-EN... Mar 7, 2017

But en-GB, en-US, and so on.
You might leave these spelling-checkers as they are, on condition that your project setting point to these languagese, for example:

source en-GB, target it-IT. These en-GB, en-UK, and other "en-geo locations" are situated in Project menu.

This was about spelling-checkers from the Options menu.

Another aspect is "Dictionaries" for OmegaT, which serve for reference purposes. You point to the folder with them, out of your sin
... See more
But en-GB, en-US, and so on.
You might leave these spelling-checkers as they are, on condition that your project setting point to these languagese, for example:

source en-GB, target it-IT. These en-GB, en-UK, and other "en-geo locations" are situated in Project menu.

This was about spelling-checkers from the Options menu.

Another aspect is "Dictionaries" for OmegaT, which serve for reference purposes. You point to the folder with them, out of your single project, from Project-Properties...

Serena T wrote:

-checked the format and they are .aff and .dic; so I renamed these dictionaries as suggested: en_EN

[Edited at 2017-03-07 15:28 GMT]
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:31
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
To what? Mar 7, 2017

> and finally I tried to translate from EN to IT,

To what actually?

Also, show the output of dir command for your dictionary folder.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

OmegaT dictionaries: still problem with that

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »