BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:06
English to French
+ ...
Mar 23, 2017

Hello there,

We are novice users of OmegaT - most of our work does not warrant using a TM.

We have a user manuel to translate, 11k words. This time, there are a number of short, repeated segments, often a couple of words like e.g. "Commissioning Instructions".

In OmegaT, is there a way to isolate the repetitions/exact matches only? We would like to start the job by translating these exact matches, then create the target file and do the rest of the translat
... See more
Hello there,

We have a user manuel to translate, 11k words. This time, there are a number of short, repeated segments, often a couple of words like e.g. "Commissioning Instructions".

In OmegaT, is there a way to isolate the repetitions/exact matches only? We would like to start the job by translating these exact matches, then create the target file and do the rest of the translation in Word - which is more practical as there are a number of layout issues.

Thanks in advance of any pointers.
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:06
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
What for? Mar 23, 2017

I fail to understand what you are trying to achieve. By default, OmegaT automatically populates all identical segments with the same translation (and if you change the existing translation, it immediately changes for all other identical segments too). Thus, there is no need to isolate them.

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:06
English to French
+ ...
Use a search filter Mar 23, 2017

BabelOn-line wrote:

In OmegaT, is there a way to isolate the repetitions/exact matches only? We would like to start the job by translating these exact matches, then create the target file and do the rest of the translation in Word - which is more practical as there are a number of layout issues.

Do a search for everything (empty search string in Exact search mode or "." in Regular expressions mode), uncheck "all matching segments" and click on "Filter" (bottom right).

You will now have only unique segments in the Editor.

Didier

Jennifer Barnett
Jennifer Barnett  Identity Verified
France
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Use 'find and replace' in Word Mar 23, 2017

Seems to me you don't need to use any CAT tool.
In Word, just use 'find and replace', then 'replace all'.

Of course, I could be missing something!

BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Esperantisto, bonjour Didier Mar 23, 2017

Thanks for your answers.

Sorry, I guess my explanations were not very clear. We are trying to isolate the few, short "exact matching segments that are repeated many times", e.g. wordings like "commissioning instructions" (25 times), "features of the system" (30 times), ... It is something I could borderline do as a Word "Search and Replace".

Didier, am I right to understand the method you suggest would remove repeated segments but not display only segments that
... See more
Thanks for your answers.

Sorry, I guess my explanations were not very clear. We are trying to isolate the few, short "exact matching segments that are repeated many times", e.g. wordings like "commissioning instructions" (25 times), "features of the system" (30 times), ... It is something I could borderline do as a Word "Search and Replace".

Didier, am I right to understand the method you suggest would remove repeated segments but not display only segments that are repeated many times?

Thank you for your time
Collapse

BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Jennifer Mar 23, 2017

Good point, just mentioned this in my reply.

Did not mention it, but we also have a few small, much shorter Word files supporting the main one. Having it in an OmegaT project saves me having to do the same Word search and replace throughout all these small ones.

Also, if this is doable in OmegaT, saves me having to trawl through the whole document to find all the repeats while translating. We plan to split this job between myself and a colleague, I'd like to "pre-pr
... See more
Good point, just mentioned this in my reply.

Did not mention it, but we also have a few small, much shorter Word files supporting the main one. Having it in an OmegaT project saves me having to do the same Word search and replace throughout all these small ones.

Also, if this is doable in OmegaT, saves me having to trawl through the whole document to find all the repeats while translating. We plan to split this job between myself and a colleague, I'd like to "pre-process" the whole source for consistency's sake. But fair enough, could be b done with a series of search and replace.

Thank you for your input.

[Edited at 2017-03-23 09:44 GMT]
Collapse

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Yes, display all unique segments Mar 23, 2017

BabelOn-line wrote:

Didier, am I right to understand the method you suggest would remove repeated segments but not display only segments that are repeated many times?

You are right.
There's no feature allowing to display only segments with repetitions.

It could be done through workarounds (e.g., writing a Groovy script), but there is no simple way to do it.

Didier

BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Merci, Didier Mar 23, 2017

It was worth a try. OmegaT can do many things, it was worth checking if it could also do this.

As a functionality, it is probably not something most user will ever need. Thanks for your input et bonne journée.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

OmegaT: how to select/display exact matches only

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »