OmegaT not saving Footnotes in DOCX format
Thread poster: Arathra (X)
Arathra (X)
Arathra (X)
Italy
Italian to English
Sep 11, 2017

I've only just started using OmegaT so I may be missing something obvious here, but when I add a DOCX file to the project, translate it, and then create a translated version, the footnotes are always missing.

All the other formatting is fine as far as I can see, it's just the footnotes are lost.

Is there something I'm not doing here or a setting I've missed?

Thanks!

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:46
Russian to English
+ ...
that's strange Sep 11, 2017

I've never had such a problem. If someone more knowledgeable than myself doesn't answer, you can send me one of the source documents and I'll see what happens when I do it (using MT translation).
When you ask a question, you should specify what version of OmegaT you are using (although I don't think it would make any difference for this particular question).

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:46
English to French
+ ...
No problem either Sep 12, 2017

Susan Welsh wrote:
I've never had such a problem.

It works fine here too.

Have you checked tags?
Wrongly placed or missing tags can make text disappear in .docx documents.
See https://sourceforge.net/p/omegat/bugs/719/

Didier

Mair A-W (PhD)
Mair A-W (PhD)
Germany
Local time: 08:46
German to English
+ ...
tags Sep 12, 2017

Arathra wrote:

I've only just started using OmegaT so I may be missing something obvious here, but when I add a DOCX file to the project, translate it, and then create a translated version, the footnotes are always missing.

All the other formatting is fine as far as I can see, it's just the footnotes are lost.

Is there something I'm not doing here or a setting I've missed?

Thanks!

Works for me - I'd second the suggestion to check you have all your tags preserved. If you lose the reference to the footnote, I believe the footnote itself will not be visible.

Arathra (X)
Arathra (X)
Italy
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
solved - thanks Sep 12, 2017

Thank you for your help.

As suggested, it was a tag issue and most likely me playing with the settings somewhere.

I wiped the project (it was a test) and started from scratch and this time when it came to the footnote a box popped up telling me that I hadn't added in the appropriate tag - AutoFix sorted that. So I have now Allow Tag Editing unchecked and Validate Tags checked.

Again, thanks

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

OmegaT not saving Footnotes in DOCX format

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »