A Tale from Sa'di
Thread poster: Fahim_author
Fahim_author
Fahim_author
Iran
Local time: 16:22
Dec 11, 2012

Dear translators,

The following text encompasses one of the tales by Saadi both in Persian and English. Your invaluable comments regarding my translation are welcome.

هرگز از دور زمان ننالیده بودم و روی از گردش آسمان در هم نکشیده، مگر وقتی که پایم برهنه مانده بود و استطاعت پای پوشی نداشتم. به جامع کوفه درآمدم دلتنگ، یکی را دیدم که پا
... See more
Dear translators,

The following text encompasses one of the tales by Saadi both in Persian and English. Your invaluable comments regarding my translation are welcome.

هرگز از دور زمان ننالیده بودم و روی از گردش آسمان در هم نکشیده، مگر وقتی که پایم برهنه مانده بود و استطاعت پای پوشی نداشتم. به جامع کوفه درآمدم دلتنگ، یکی را دیدم که پای نداشت. سپاس نعمت حقّ به جای آوردم و بر بی کفشی صبر کردم.

I had never complained of ups and downs of life, nor lamented my destiny except when my feet were bare and I had no shoes to wear. Dismal, I entered the Congregation mosque of Kufa. I saw a man who had no legs. Then I thanked God and bore with patience for not having shoes.
Collapse

Tahmineh Zardasht
Tahmineh Zardasht
Iran
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Style or word choice? Dec 12, 2012

Dear Friend,
It was very interesting for me to read your translation. Then I remembered that I have Gulistan and Bustan translated by Edward Rehatsek (Gulistan) and G.M. Wickens (Bustan) which reads:
"I never lamented about the vicissitudes of time or complained of the turns of fortune except on the occasion when I was barefooted and unable to procure slippers. But I entered the great mosque of Kufah with a sore heart and beheld a man without feet I offered thanks to the bounty of G
... See more
Dear Friend,
It was very interesting for me to read your translation. Then I remembered that I have Gulistan and Bustan translated by Edward Rehatsek (Gulistan) and G.M. Wickens (Bustan) which reads:
"I never lamented about the vicissitudes of time or complained of the turns of fortune except on the occasion when I was barefooted and unable to procure slippers. But I entered the great mosque of Kufah with a sore heart and beheld a man without feet I offered thanks to the bounty of God, consoled myself for my want of shoes and recited:
"A roast fowl is to the sight of a satiated man
Less valuable than a blade of fresh grass on the table
And to hime who has no means nor power
A burnt turnip is a roasted fowl"
Hope it would be of help for you...
Collapse

Fahim_author
Fahim_author
Iran
TOPIC STARTER
The analysis Dec 13, 2012

Dear Tahmineh Zardasht,

Thank you for your nice comment. Indeed, it is helpful. I extremely appreciate it. Though young, as a translator, I need to mention some points concerning G.M. Wickens work. I suppose the last part of the translation is too free. Brevity in Saadi's works is obvious, which should not be forgotten. He tried to convey a lot of meaning by using the fewest words. An example can be seen in "چارپایی بر او کتابی چند". Do we have it in G.M. Wicken
... See more
Dear Tahmineh Zardasht,

Thank you for your nice comment. Indeed, it is helpful. I extremely appreciate it. Though young, as a translator, I need to mention some points concerning G.M. Wickens work. I suppose the last part of the translation is too free. Brevity in Saadi's works is obvious, which should not be forgotten. He tried to convey a lot of meaning by using the fewest words. An example can be seen in "چارپایی بر او کتابی چند". Do we have it in G.M. Wickens' translated text? While this version closely follows the text and reads fluent English, the word "great" as an equivalent for "جامع" is too wide. The exact technical equivalent might be "congregation".

Thank you once more for your fantastic reply.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Mahmoud Akbari[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A Tale from Sa'di

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »