Which Iranian scholar was behind the change of Persia to Iran?
Thread poster: Ahmad Hosseinzadeh
Ahmad Hosseinzadeh
Ahmad Hosseinzadeh  Identity Verified
Iran
Local time: 23:20
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Jan 16, 2014

Dear friends,

More than a year ago, a discussion entitled "Farsi یا Persian?" was posted on this forum, which you can find and read it here:
http://www.proz.com/forum/persian_farsi/222755-farsi_یا_persian.html

Sometime ago, while scanning an Iranian website, I came across this short essay about the scholar who seems to be the man s
... See more
Dear friends,

More than a year ago, a discussion entitled "Farsi یا Persian?" was posted on this forum, which you can find and read it here:
http://www.proz.com/forum/persian_farsi/222755-farsi_یا_persian.html

Sometime ago, while scanning an Iranian website, I came across this short essay about the scholar who seems to be the man suggesting the change of Persia to Iran. You may find it interesting:
http://webzine.mehrnews.com/FullStory/News/?NewsId=11111

Regards,
A.H.
Collapse

Ehsan Alipour
Ehsan Alipour  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:50
Member (2012)
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Thanks Jan 16, 2014

Hi Ahmad,

Thank you for sharing the links. I would like to know your choice between Farsi and Persian. I mean, what name do you think should be used in websites like Proz.com?

Ahmad Hosseinzadeh
Iran
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The dilemma of our mother tongue's name! Jan 16, 2014

Hello Ehsan,

Personally and academically, I should say Persian is my choice, but as Proz is a business workplace we should consider other facts as well. As Mr. Plaisance has mentioned in the previous post about this topic, whether we like it or not, nowadays Farsi is widely used and I have faced some clients (mostly from North America and Arabic countries) who seem to not hear Persian at all, or at least prefer to use Farsi; so if we remove Farsi from Proz, what should we do about s
... See more
Hello Ehsan,

Personally and academically, I should say Persian is my choice, but as Proz is a business workplace we should consider other facts as well. As Mr. Plaisance has mentioned in the previous post about this topic, whether we like it or not, nowadays Farsi is widely used and I have faced some clients (mostly from North America and Arabic countries) who seem to not hear Persian at all, or at least prefer to use Farsi; so if we remove Farsi from Proz, what should we do about such clients? Can we (like Reza Shah) ask them not to use Farsi from now on? If it was an official issue (like how to use the name of country), we may succeed, but this is something related to public usage and can't be solved easily.

What I do in my business correspondence is to write "Persian (Farsi)" (even to those clients who has just used Farsi). This way, I try to remind them that (in English) Persian is the main name, and Farsi is just like a nickname! And for Proz, I think the current situation is a logical choice, although it has some negative consequences [for example, those who are bilingual, like you, can choose just one option between Persian (Farsi) / Farsi (Persian) to add to their Proz profile along with their other mother language], but it also reminds the clients or other users that Persian and Farsi are one language.
Collapse

Ehsan Alipour
Member (2012)
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Treated as two languages Jan 17, 2014

Hi again,

Last week, a job was posted in English-Persian language pair. Quoting was open only to those who had reported Persian as their native language. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to quote since, as you have already mentioned, I had only reported Farsi as my native language.

Apparently, Proz.com is treating Farsi and Persian as two different languages. But the solution should be so simple. The site can be redefined so that the two names refer to the sam
... See more
Hi again,

Last week, a job was posted in English-Persian language pair. Quoting was open only to those who had reported Persian as their native language. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to quote since, as you have already mentioned, I had only reported Farsi as my native language.

Apparently, Proz.com is treating Farsi and Persian as two different languages. But the solution should be so simple. The site can be redefined so that the two names refer to the same language. That is, one should be listed in EnglishPersian directory and be able to quote on EnglishPersian jobs even if s/he has only listed Farsi in his/her working languages or has only reported Farsi as his/her native language.
Collapse

Edward Plaisance Jr
Edward Plaisance Jr  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:50
Member (2008)
Persian (Farsi) to English
+ ...
Suggest this to Proz Jan 18, 2014

Ehsan Alipour wrote:

Hi again,

Apparently, Proz.com is treating Farsi and Persian as two different languages. But the solution should be so simple. The site can be redefined so that the two names refer to the same language. That is, one should be listed in EnglishPersian directory and be able to quote on EnglishPersian jobs even if s/he has only listed Farsi in his/her working languages or has only reported Farsi as his/her native language.

You can suggest this to Proz...I have already suggested it several times and as yet we have not seen any change.

Persian is the only language in Proz which has two names!

Here is the States it seems that Persian is slowly replacing Farsi...but I still have experiences where I have to explain in great detail that Farsi is the Persian name for Persian...and some people do not want to believe me!

Ahmad Hosseinzadeh
Iran
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Having 3 native languages Jan 18, 2014

Another solution could be that Proz can let those with Persian (Farsi) [or Farsi (Persian)] as their first native language, to choose 2 more native tongues which one of them must be the other Persian; or Proz can automatically add the second one when you choose the first Persian as your native language, and then let you choose a third mother tongue.

Ehsan Alipour
Member (2012)
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Already suggested a long while ago Jan 18, 2014

Edward Plaisance Jr wrote:

You can suggest this to Proz...I have already suggested it several times and as yet we have not seen any change.

Persian is the only language in Proz which has two names!

Here is the States it seems that Persian is slowly replacing Farsi...but I still have experiences where I have to explain in great detail that Farsi is the Persian name for Persian...and some people do not want to believe me!

I have already suggested this to Proz and they have sent it to the site developers. But I don't think there will be a change in the near future.

Ahmad Hosseinzadeh wrote:

Another solution could be that Proz can let those with Persian (Farsi) [or Farsi (Persian)] as their first native language, to choose 2 more native tongues which one of them must be the other Persian; or Proz can automatically add the second one when you choose the first Persian as your native language, and then let you choose a third mother tongue.

I have suggested this one too. They said they were "working to find the best way to prove the ability in more than two languages".

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Mahmoud Akbari[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which Iranian scholar was behind the change of Persia to Iran?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »