Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How often do you look at the Visitors tab of your ProZ.com profile?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 19, 2012

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How often do you look at the Visitors tab of your ProZ.com profile?".

This poll was originally submitted by Ozer Sahin. View the poll results »

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 13:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
Never Aug 19, 2012

Look at the what? I didn't know there was one. I must go and have a peek now...

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
First time this morning! Aug 19, 2012

neilmac wrote:

Just looked for the first time. It is a members only feature and as I am not a paying member of ProZ, I will remain ignorant of its content.

Rachel Fell
writeaway

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:40
German to English
+ ...
Once a week or so ... Aug 19, 2012

Although I'm not really sure why, it doesn't exactly give much away!

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Quite interesting Aug 19, 2012

Nikki Scott-Despaigne wrote:

neilmac wrote:

Just looked for the first time. It is a members only feature and as I am not a paying member of ProZ, I will remain ignorant of its content.

Well that was quite interesting. It shows if (and when) your profile has been accessed and whether it was by a proz member, freelancer or "unknown" (presumably mostly agencies or potential clients, as well as the usual lurking scammers).

I found it reassuring, having refused an approach from an outsourcer who approached me a couple of days ago. The agency asked for an "updated CV" and "best rates", but my profile states quite clearly :
"POTENTIAL CLIENTS PLEASE NOTE: I am not usually willing to provide ... "updated CVs". And please do NOT ask for my "BEST RATES" - if you are serious, just make me an offer."

So now I know that they accessed my profile but went on and ignored my preferences, I'm glad I turned them down. They also had a less than perfect BB rating. So, I'd say it's an interesting feature but not a key function.

[Edited at 2012-08-19 08:36 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Once in a blue moon! Aug 19, 2012

ErichEko ⟹⭐
ErichEko ⟹⭐  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 19:40
Member (2007)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Unless you like statistics or numbers.. Aug 19, 2012

It doesn't give me much.

So long as those accessing our profile pages get their IDs (for ProZ member) hidden, the information is almost useless.

I suggest visitors are asked whether they are willing to disclose/share their IDs. If NOT, I'd like their access to be restricted to my main profile page only, nothing else. It is just fair for us to know their IDs when they have full access (CV, KudoZ, more intimate contact such Skype and YM).

I'd say those who
... See more
It doesn't give me much.

So long as those accessing our profile pages get their IDs (for ProZ member) hidden, the information is almost useless.

I suggest visitors are asked whether they are willing to disclose/share their IDs. If NOT, I'd like their access to be restricted to my main profile page only, nothing else. It is just fair for us to know their IDs when they have full access (CV, KudoZ, more intimate contact such Skype and YM).

I'd say those who love statistics and numbers will find this feature of some value. Those who don't will wonder how to benefit from this data.
Collapse

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
I find it quite useful.... Aug 19, 2012

It can come in handy sometimes, especially when checking on people who approach you for work. I used it the other day for a rather strange offer, the details on the visitors tab just added even more oddities and tipped the scales in helping me decide what to do.

It also helps to see how effective my website is since I can see how many people have found their way to my ProZ profile from my website. I can also see what keywords were used in Google searches to find me which may allow m
... See more
It can come in handy sometimes, especially when checking on people who approach you for work. I used it the other day for a rather strange offer, the details on the visitors tab just added even more oddities and tipped the scales in helping me decide what to do.

It also helps to see how effective my website is since I can see how many people have found their way to my ProZ profile from my website. I can also see what keywords were used in Google searches to find me which may allow me to tweak my keywords for optimal effect (not that I've done this yet).

I answered "other" because "a few times a month" was not an option.
Collapse

Emily Gilby

Susanna Martoni
Susanna Martoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Useful poll Aug 19, 2012

Some of us did not know anything about this function.

As for me, I check it very rarely.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Too much information, insufficient meaning Aug 19, 2012

It would be an awful lot more useful if you could exclude trawlers rather than listing them (280 out of 354 in one month for my profile). You can't see the wood for the trees at the moment. I can only see back to 16/08 on page 1. I can't get anything meaningful from the 18 pages of information about my visitors since 21/07.

Maria Simmen
Maria Simmen
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Excluding crawlers Aug 19, 2012

Sheila, you can exclude crawler visits by clicking "List by visitor" just below the table. My list gets significantly shorter then, so I guess the crawler visits aren't included in the count anymore...?

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Yes and no Aug 19, 2012

Maria Bruessler wrote:
Sheila, you can exclude crawler visits by clicking "List by visitor" just below the table. My list gets significantly shorter then, so I guess the crawler visits aren't included in the count anymore...?

Thanks for that Maria. As you say, the list does get shorter. However, I still have 11 pages and 212 visitors to plough through. I just don't know what I'd get from doing that.

Daniela Slankamenac
Daniela Slankamenac  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
Unfortunately, Aug 19, 2012

even if you click "List by visitor" it doesn't exclude crawlers completely. Thus, every now and then I have, let's say, 32 visits from Palo Alto, California. Needless to say I have never had a contact or a client there.
But, all in all, useful feature.

[Edited at 2012-08-19 12:42 GMT]

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
same here Aug 19, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:

I answered "other" because "a few times a month" was not an option.

It is also interesting that after some polls where your answer is not along the lines, how many people also take a look at your profile

[Edited at 2012-08-19 19:49 GMT]

Annelise Brincker (X)
Annelise Brincker (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
really good poll Aug 19, 2012

I learned something new. I had never noticed that tab or indeed used any of the tabs. I will from now on.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How often do you look at the Visitors tab of your ProZ.com profile?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »