Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Did your professional life as a freelancer change when you had children?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 08:57
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I took over his bedroom as my 'den' for work! Dec 17, 2013

My son had grown up and left home before I started freelancing...

He certainly changed my life, which did not include a job at the time. For several years I was a full time mother, although I did look after other people's children at the same time in day care - I never had more than one of my very own.

I'm not sure whether I could have coped with much more. Babies are supposed to sleep, but my son did not seem to understand that until he started school. So when he dropp
... See more
My son had grown up and left home before I started freelancing...

He certainly changed my life, which did not include a job at the time. For several years I was a full time mother, although I did look after other people's children at the same time in day care - I never had more than one of my very own.

I'm not sure whether I could have coped with much more. Babies are supposed to sleep, but my son did not seem to understand that until he started school. So when he dropped off for a nap, I used to lie down and get an hour's shut-eye too. He could keep awake 18 hours a day...

Mercifully he was a happy little soul. On the very rare occasions when he did cry all day, I was frantic - I don't know how mothers of colic babies manage!

He's coming home for Christmas on Friday ...

[Edited at 2013-12-17 12:20 GMT]
Collapse

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:57
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
no children Dec 17, 2013

I have no kids, so i'm ultra flexible, but I still don't like to work too late at night.
I can also work on holidays if necessary, so I let people know in case they need me during xmas or whatever.
It seems a lot of us don't have kids, the poll said 50 percent!

Melanie Meyer
Melanie Meyer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:57
Member (2010)
English to German
+ ...
Other Dec 17, 2013

neilmac wrote:

For me, the question puts the cart before the horse. I was a parent long before I became a translator or freelancer. I would surmise that most people's lives, professional or otherwise, are changed in many ways when they become parents.

Same here – I started freelancing more or less full-time when my youngest son started attending Kindergarten four years ago.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:57
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
1. parent; 2. freelancer Dec 17, 2013

neilmac wrote:

For me, the question puts the cart before the horse. I was a parent long before I became a translator or freelancer. I would surmise that most people's lives, professional or otherwise, are changed in many ways when they become parents.

Absolutely! I did actually go back to salaried work (not as a translator) for 5 years on a part-time basis, but I don't think I would ever have gone back full-time. It was partly on account of having a child to bring up that we decided to move abroad, and that sparked off a whole new career, one that I never for a moment envisaged carrying out as an employee.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not yet... Dec 17, 2013

But I assume that it will, especially since my wife and I work together. We're waiting for things to stabilize a little before having any kids, but I've started stocking up on pickles and ice cream

Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington
Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
The children came first Dec 17, 2013

neilmac wrote:

The same for me. I sarted doing freelance transaltion when my eldest child was about nine years old.

[Edited at 2013-12-17 20:25 GMT]

Cristiana Sima
Cristiana Sima  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 09:57
English to Romanian
+ ...
Children gave me the "push" Dec 17, 2013

to give up my employment contract (as an attorney-at-law) and re-think my career. I was not happy with my job, I wanted a change, but I never had the courage until my second baby. He and his brother were the spark and, although it is much much harder now, I would not change for anything.

Right now I am a translator and an attorney-at-law, I have kept both career paths, as I enjoy them both, but, for the moment, none of them can be considered full-time (I am full-time mother, the res
... See more
to give up my employment contract (as an attorney-at-law) and re-think my career. I was not happy with my job, I wanted a change, but I never had the courage until my second baby. He and his brother were the spark and, although it is much much harder now, I would not change for anything.

Right now I am a translator and an attorney-at-law, I have kept both career paths, as I enjoy them both, but, for the moment, none of them can be considered full-time (I am full-time mother, the rest must fit in between). I am sure this proportion will change when they will go in kindergarden, probably in one year or so.

And, one more thing, I would like to thank again a special mom - translator, member of this website, who, at the beginning of the year, sent me a beautiful, encouraging mail - she didn't even knew me, but she saw one of my comments on a pole, and she sent me that email. Marketa, if you read this, thank you.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Did your professional life as a freelancer change when you had children?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »