Poll: Has it ever slipped your mind to deliver a translation?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 12, 2017

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Has it ever slipped your mind to deliver a translation?".

This poll was originally submitted by Nina Khmielnitzky. View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:50
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes! Aug 12, 2017

Yesterday, for the first time! I delivered the translation to the proof-reader two days before the deadline and then forgot completely to send to the agency...

[Edited at 2017-08-12 08:16 GMT]

Liena Vijupe
Liena Vijupe  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 22:50
Member (2014)
French to Latvian
+ ...
Other Aug 12, 2017

I don't remember, but it might have been the case once or twice.
Usually I finish/deliver ahead of the time and it has slipped my mind on a few occasions (mostly when I think I've already done that and am busy with other projects), but normally I remember it soon enough. When clients have inquired about delivery it has been due to lost e-mails or other similar issues.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 21:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Aug 12, 2017

It's possible. In fact it's probably happened at least once, but it can't have been a big deal or I'd remember.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:50
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
No, but... Aug 12, 2017

Maybe more than half a dozen times I clicked on 'send' to notice that I had failed to attach the translation!

About as often, clients slip in receiving my translation.
This one happened yesterday. The client sent me an e-mail, asking "Do you know when you'll deliver our translation?", which I responded by re-sending the e-mail with it I had sent them four days before. They confirmed they had received it.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 05:50
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Most likely Aug 12, 2017

I don't remember. And, if I had, I would most likely want to forget about it.

I've been translating for over 30 years. One cannot be perfect and a goody two-shoes day in day out, can we now. Aw shucks, I am such a modest chap.

Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:50
Member (2004)
English to French
It happened to me a couple of times this year Aug 12, 2017

I have been overwhelmed with work this year, projects sent by email, some got lost in a ton of other emails.
It made me question my sanity and wonder if it was an early onset of Alzheimer's.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:50
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, many times, but nothing serious Aug 12, 2017

I regularly save the file, revise it, save the final version for delivery, then I open my Outlook and there are other important e-mails, and I forget to send the translation. However, my control spreadsheets remind me of files not sent in a while, and most of the time I'll deliver them on time. In a few occasions, the clients did ask me "where is that translation", and it was ready one or two days ago. But that's not common.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Has it ever slipped your mind to deliver a translation?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »