Poll: How do you deliver your work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 29, 2017

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How do you deliver your work?".

This poll was originally submitted by Muriel Vasconcellos. View the poll results »

Rebecca Hendry
Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:21
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
A combination Aug 29, 2017

Most of my work is delivered via email, but for certified translations I send the original in the post (recorded delivery) as well as a scan via email.

[Edited at 2017-08-29 08:13 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A combination Aug 29, 2017

Almost all my work is delivered by email; certified translations are either hand delivered or sent by registered post.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
By email only Aug 29, 2017

Why is "by email only" not an option offered? Until recently I would have chosen it, but now some agencies want to work through their websites, which I always find pain. In fact, I found it so difficult with one agency that I refuse work offers from them unless they let me work through the project manager. I am still getting work from them on this basis.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 09:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Aug 29, 2017

Lately, almost all of my jobs - and my invoices - are delivered by email. I used to occasionally deliver my bills by hand to one client, but I don't get much work from them these days. I occasionally had to deliver work on CDs or floppy disks as well, back in the day, but this is rarely if ever called for nowadays. In an emergency, I wouldn't be averse to delivering a job on a pen drive or similar to a locally-based client if the need arose.

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nearly 100% by e-mail Aug 29, 2017

Nowadays, even documents requiring signatures and/or notarization can be scanned and sent as e-mail attachments, and I can only think of one instance in the past three years in which a client did not consider such delivery acceptable, and instead insisted on being mailed a hard copy of the signed and notarized document in question.

[Edited at 2017-08-29 13:31 GMT]

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:21
German to English
+ ...
Combination Aug 29, 2017

Since I do certified (stamped, signed) translations, often a hard copy is involved. Clients receive these by mail, express post, sometimes their own courier, and pick-up. Sometimes a scan of the certified hard copy is also requested. Anything electronic goes out by e-mail. Nothing is on any kind of "cloud".

Victoria Britten
Victoria Britten  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Combination: email or client platform or post Aug 29, 2017

Most of my work is delivered either by email or via clients' online platforms, but actual proofreading - as in marking up the printed proofs - has of course to be sent by post. I think I may have once delivered some by hand, because I was going to their offices anyway to sign a contract, but that was the exception rather than the rule in the seven or eight years I've been working for that client.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
I remember delivery by courier Aug 29, 2017

I was living in NYC's Upper East Side and several of my city clients would send a courier to pick up a floppy disk with the translation. Using the Internet (via CompuServe, for those with long memories) was a 2-hour-a-day affair. I miss those days.

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
mostly email Aug 29, 2017

Nowadays mostly by email. Sometimes I send a Dropbox link if the file is really big.

Mario remembers sending jobs by courier .... well I can better that ....

In the early days of the computer, before the Modem, I worked for an agency in Venice, which is about 37 km from me.
I saved the file on one of the big floppy disks and took it to the local intercity bus company, paid a small fee, and the agency collected it at the destination.
Of course, the file was
... See more
Nowadays mostly by email. Sometimes I send a Dropbox link if the file is really big.

Mario remembers sending jobs by courier .... well I can better that ....

In the early days of the computer, before the Modem, I worked for an agency in Venice, which is about 37 km from me.
I saved the file on one of the big floppy disks and took it to the local intercity bus company, paid a small fee, and the agency collected it at the destination.
Of course, the file was all my own work ... they sent me the translation by fax.
Small jobs were sent back by fax. The disks by bus were for more important ones.
Then we all got Modems and everything changed again ...
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:21
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Email = Internet Aug 29, 2017

I checked the option Internet and E-mail, although I think this is redundant. Email only works through the internet. So I beleive the options should be "Internet/email" and "Internet/cloud, FTP, etc." or something like that. Most of my jobs are delivered by e-mail, but I do have many clients that use other internet options. Never sent anything by courier, although I did deliver many jobs personally/phisically back in the 1980's and early 1990's.
Courier? Sworn translators still use it, bec
... See more
I checked the option Internet and E-mail, although I think this is redundant. Email only works through the internet. So I beleive the options should be "Internet/email" and "Internet/cloud, FTP, etc." or something like that. Most of my jobs are delivered by e-mail, but I do have many clients that use other internet options. Never sent anything by courier, although I did deliver many jobs personally/phisically back in the 1980's and early 1990's.
Courier? Sworn translators still use it, because they must submit the documents stamped and signed. Other than that, I don't see how any client would be willing to wait days/weeks to receive their jobs.
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:21
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Internet only Aug 29, 2017

Like a few others, I remember delivering by FedEx. I would rush to finish and print out my translation before the daily pickup at my nearby FedEx box (floppy disk enclosed).

(I must have submitted this question years ago. I don't remember it at all. Today I might have refined it to mention specific Internet options such as e-mail, client portals, cell phone, FTP, Cloud, etc.)

[Edited at 2017-08-29 19:23 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How do you deliver your work?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »