Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Are translators who do PEMT paving the way for the demise of the profession?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:49
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
For what it's worth Sep 10, 2017

I'm very familiar with the inside story of the development of two MT systems that I have followed since their inception in the late 1970s. That's 40 years, my friends. I have seen with both systems that they reach a point where "improvements" can easily become "DISimprovements." Updating the systems gets trickier and trickier as existing rules and stored phrases bump into each other. IMHO, believing that the systems will ultimately get a whole lot better is false hope.

As I said ear
... See more
I'm very familiar with the inside story of the development of two MT systems that I have followed since their inception in the late 1970s. That's 40 years, my friends. I have seen with both systems that they reach a point where "improvements" can easily become "DISimprovements." Updating the systems gets trickier and trickier as existing rules and stored phrases bump into each other. IMHO, believing that the systems will ultimately get a whole lot better is false hope.

As I said earlier, post-editing is more stressful than regular translation because while you are thinking about how to handle the machine output you also have to look back at the original to make sure there are no Trojan horses, like adjectives attached to the wrong nouns (it happens often) or missing negatives or negative that should be positives (it also happens, though not so often). Also, the final product is "flat"--it often fails to capture the essence of the real idea behind the sentence.

MT is best used for purposes other than drafts to be polished by professional translators. It works better with simplistic texts, often written in controlled language (which we wouldn't want to be bothered with), and for information purposes. I use it on Facebook to find out what my friends are saying in Norwegian, Arabic, and Japanese. The Norwegian is best, but only makes sense about 70% of the time and often much less.
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:49
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Apocalyptic words Sep 10, 2017

I suppose a disastrous loss at poker would be apokerlyptic.
And something 100% certainly apocalyptic would be apukkalyptic.
And losing all your pigs to swine fever would be aporkerlyptic.
And...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Are translators who do PEMT paving the way for the demise of the profession?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »