Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:34
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Irish jokes Jan 25, 2020

Philip Lees wrote:
.... there used to be a lot of Irish jokes going around. In all these, the Irishman was very stupid and that was the point of the joke. These things are not considered politically correct nowadays, but we used to find them funny.

That was because you're not Irish. Thank goodness we threw you out.

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 12:34
Greek to English
Translatable or not Jan 25, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

Philip Lees wrote:
.... there used to be a lot of Irish jokes going around. In all these, the Irishman was very stupid and that was the point of the joke. These things are not considered politically correct nowadays, but we used to find them funny.

That was because you're not Irish. Thank goodness we threw you out.

Oh yes. And it wasn't just the Irish. I cringe now to think of some of the jokes I laughed at when I was a kid.

Here's a silly joke to challenge translators:

Q: What's brown and sticky?
A: A stick.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:34
French to English
. Jan 25, 2020

I have many memories of sitting in French cinemas watching the French fall about laughing and wondering why they were doing that, because I was more likely thinking "but that's tragic".
Then I went to see "A Fish called Wanda" with an Irish friend in Paris, and it was French watching us laughing, very plainly thinking we must be crazy.
The first time I laughed watching a French film was a rerun of "La Chèvre" on TV. I was very proud of myself for understanding the humour at last.
... See more
I have many memories of sitting in French cinemas watching the French fall about laughing and wondering why they were doing that, because I was more likely thinking "but that's tragic".
Then I went to see "A Fish called Wanda" with an Irish friend in Paris, and it was French watching us laughing, very plainly thinking we must be crazy.
The first time I laughed watching a French film was a rerun of "La Chèvre" on TV. I was very proud of myself for understanding the humour at last.

Thanks everyone for making me laugh reading this thread!
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:34
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Disagree Jan 25, 2020

One of the talents required from a good translator is transcreation, above all when they work with literature. Translating humor, feelings, poetrty, etc. does require this special talent, but it does not mean "perishing". It only means do it if you think you can, don't run the risk otherwise.

Jan Truper
expressisverbis

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:34
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
When and how to laugh when reading ancient Greek out loud Jan 26, 2020

“Humour is the first gift to perish in a foreign language.”
-- from Virginia Woolf's essay "On not knowing Greek", 1925.

It is vain and foolish to talk of "knowing Greek", ... since we do not know how the words sounded, or where precisely we ought to laugh, or how the actors acted, and between this foreign people and ourselves there is not only difference of race and tongue but a tremendous breach of tradition. ... There is this important problem: Where are we to laugh in reading Greek? There is a passage in the Odyssey where laughter begins to steal upon us, but if Homer were looking, we should probably think it better to control our merriment. To laugh instantly, it is almost necessary ... to laugh in English.

Humour, after all, is closely bound up with a sense of the body. When we laugh at the humour of Wycherley, we are laughing with the body of that burly rustic who was our common ancestor on the village green. The French, the Italians, the Americans, who derive physically from so different a stock, pause, as we pause in reading Homer, to make sure that they are laughing in the right place, and the pause is fatal. Thus humour is the first of the gifts to perish in a foreign tongue, and ...when we turn from Greek to English literature it seems, after a long silence, as if our great age were ushered in by a burst of laughter.

FWIW, the original quote related to reading theatrical text out loud.

The first time I thought that Much Ado About Nothing was funny, was when I heard it spoken in the proper way. Up to then, I had only read it to myself (out loud) or had to read to me by school teachers (who were often saved by the bell). It was a revelation to me that Shakespearean "comedies" were actually meant to be funny. No doubt I'm unable to appreciate all of the humour contained in it (e.g. I seldom find puns funny if they have to be explained to me first, and puns are most funny when they are unexpected).

[Edited at 2020-01-26 14:32 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: “Humor is the first gift to perish in a foreign language.”

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »