Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
Poll: What do you do when a casual acquaintance tells you they can translate and wants to work with you?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:01
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Undercutting Jan 30, 2021

Kay brought up a good point. There's also the risk that, to get their foot in the door, they will offer their services to your client for less than you charge.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Tom in London

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:01
Member (2006)
German to English
@ProZ staff Jan 30, 2021

What is the point if suggesting polls if you do not use them?

I suggested a Poll about a week ago, and this one has been running since the 24th?

Christopher Schröder
Christine Andersen
ipv
R. Alex Jenkins

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:01
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Agree! Jan 30, 2021

Michael Harris wrote:

I suggested a Poll about a week ago, and this one has been running since the 24th?

I suggested several over the years and as far as I can remember only one was used...

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
I would ask: Jan 31, 2021

"What's your best rate?"

expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder
Mervyn Henderson (X)

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 18:01
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
What do you do when a casual acquaintance tells you they can translate and wants to work with you? Jan 31, 2021

I tell them:
I'm sorry, but I have other plans.

Matthias Brombach
P.L.F. Persio
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Zibow Retailleau
Christopher Schröder
Angus Stewart

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:01
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Options missing Feb 1, 2021

I feel there at least two answers missing here: N/A and 'Ask for their CV and get them to do a translation test'.

What I would do is get them to send their CV and take a translation test. I answered 'Give them work' as there was no other better option, but what I meant is 'give them work AS A TEST'. I would probably not ask interview questions as the CV would probably have a lot of information.

Paul Lambert
Paul Lambert  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2006)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No polling question option fits me. Feb 2, 2021

Perhaps because, like Liena, nobody ever asks to work with me. Rather, several have found the prospect of becoming a freelance translator interesting and have asked how they can start in the business. This too is difficult a question. The answer I give, without being too snarky (I hope) is to say "I just went ahead and started".

I am sure you can all relate. You have spent years and sometimes lots of money setting up your trade and building a client base. You know what is involved.
... See more
Perhaps because, like Liena, nobody ever asks to work with me. Rather, several have found the prospect of becoming a freelance translator interesting and have asked how they can start in the business. This too is difficult a question. The answer I give, without being too snarky (I hope) is to say "I just went ahead and started".

I am sure you can all relate. You have spent years and sometimes lots of money setting up your trade and building a client base. You know what is involved. You might not want to give it all away to a newcomer simply expressing an interest and then asking "how can I get into translating?" Moreover, when you think of it, even if you wanted to, could you give a helpful answer in just a few sentences.

Several years ago, one woman even had the nerve to ask me to give her my list of client agencies - the one I had spent almost a decade in building by then. Nervy? Yes, but more to the point, it shows that most people really have no idea of what our job entails.
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Liena Vijupe

Paul Lambert
Sweden
Member (2006)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Exactly right, Nikolay. Feb 2, 2021

Nikolay Novitskiy wrote:

That was exactly what happened to me a few months ago. I politely declined because that person had no translation practice at all and just wanted to earn some occasional money.

Again, this is yet another indication of how little people know about our industry. Translation is a profession. It is not just a little hobby side-gig to earn a few bob. Of course, we all have to start somewhere and I don't discourage any new translator, but his heart needs to be in it 100% and to be successful one cannot write it off as a way to get some extra pocket money.

ipv

ipv
ipv
Member (2015)
English to Croatian
+ ...
This: Feb 2, 2021

Paul Lambert
Liena Vijupe
Jorge Payan

Paul Lambert
Sweden
Member (2006)
Swedish to English
+ ...
True Feb 2, 2021

Rachel Waddington wrote:

Anton Konashenok wrote:

If this casual acquaintance is girlfriend material, I might make an exception from my usual "no" and invite her to move in with me and work together.

[Edited at 2021-01-28 15:55 GMT]

Because every woman loves getting hit on when they are trying to do business.

Certainly not every woman, Rachel. However, probably enough to make it worth Anton's while.

Personally, I like to stick to business.

Liena Vijupe

Liena Vijupe
Liena Vijupe  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 20:01
Member (2014)
French to Latvian
+ ...
Translating is just a part of it Feb 2, 2021

Paul Lambert wrote:

more to the point, it shows that most people really have no idea of what our job entails.

This. Usually they just see the fun part (no boss, work from home, flexible working hours) and most give up anyway after trying and seeing how tedious it can be and how much self-discipline it requires. A person may be a brilliant translator, but the truth is that ability to respect deadlines (along with negotiating and other communication skills) usually matters more to stay in the business.

Which is exactly why I have no interest in becoming a project manager. I can manage myself very well and that's enough, thank you very much.

Christopher Schröder
Rachel Waddington
P.L.F. Persio
Matthias Brombach
Paul Lambert
Dan Lucas

Felipe Lacerda
Felipe Lacerda  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Cool story bro. Feb 2, 2021

I send them the hardest text I can find as a test.

"Oh, you don't anything about nuclear fission? Too bad, I'm working for North Korea right now. I'll talk to you if something related to sitcoms or pop songs comes up."

P.L.F. Persio
Jorge Payan
Paul Lambert

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
And no the posting date has been changed to the 31st January?? Feb 2, 2021

Michael Harris wrote:

Jennifer Lemck
Jennifer Lemck
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
An unfortunate turn of phrase? Feb 2, 2021

"I can translate" is always a suspicious phrase and in my experience, it is usually uttered by bilingual people who have no previous experience or academic studies. Professional translators usually say "I'm a translator," because we know it is a profession and not just a way to make money quickly.

However, it could be an unfortunate turn of phrase. I think I would ask them if they have previous experience or studies to give them a chance to prove my assumption wrong.

Paul Lambert
Robert Forstag

Paul Lambert
Sweden
Member (2006)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Excellent point Feb 2, 2021

Jennifer Lemck wrote:

"I can translate" is always a suspicious phrase and in my experience, it is usually uttered by bilingual people who have no previous experience or academic studies. Professional translators usually say "I'm a translator," because we know it is a profession and not just a way to make money quickly.

However, it could be an unfortunate turn of phrase. I think I would ask them if they have previous experience or studies to give them a chance to prove my assumption wrong.

It is just like how "I can cook" and "I am a cook" are two very different things.

Robert Forstag

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What do you do when a casual acquaintance tells you they can translate and wants to work with you?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »