jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:40
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Right. Jan 1, 2015

Paul Lambert wrote:

Perhaps more than anyone else, those of us in the language professions should have a sense for metaphors.

I was surprised that so many people didn't think of the issue that way.

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:40
German to English
+ ...
.I am deeply involved in Native American issues on a Jan 2, 2015

US website (political), and am on more than casual terms with a number of the Native American members. They have said many times that there is profound resentment among their peoples and tribes regarding the misappropriation of their cultural heritage by non-Indians, including language. Many Native Americans and organizations are in my Twitter feed, and I would be ashamed to announce a "powwow" for translators on Twitter, for example, out of deference to my NA friends. I have always been bothere... See more
US website (political), and am on more than casual terms with a number of the Native American members. They have said many times that there is profound resentment among their peoples and tribes regarding the misappropriation of their cultural heritage by non-Indians, including language. Many Native Americans and organizations are in my Twitter feed, and I would be ashamed to announce a "powwow" for translators on Twitter, for example, out of deference to my NA friends. I have always been bothered by the use of the term here, but not enough to bring it up. Therefore I'm very glad that someone finally did.

It's quite obvious that the people here who have no problem with the term don't have any contact to the North American indigenous cultures, and thus are ignorant of the offense it gives. It should be clear by now that it IS deeply offensive to a large group of people to use a term designating a specific type of gathering, sacred or otherwise, for a casual "meet-up" or "get-together" of other cultures. The Indians (and they are fine with that term) I know are deeply spiritual people, and their culture is absolutely sacred to them, especially in view of the fact so much effort was put into destroying it.

I therefore feel strongly that the term should be dropped as soon as possible, and am happy with quite a few of the absolutely acceptable alternatives mentioned.
Collapse

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
If I tell you that the word Party reminds me of dirty politics Jan 2, 2015

would you propose to drop the word and advocate its replacement with "meet-up" in all contexts?

So, did you go to John Doe's birth day meet-up yesterday?

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Totally agree Jan 2, 2015

Eric Zink wrote:

I see no correlation between the use of "powwow" and someone asking "how do I say thank you in European". Even if I did, I don't see how the latter would be disrespectful of anyone. It would at worst be a misunderstanding of culture.

There are tons of examples of word-borrowing at the culture intersection that I happen to know (German and American). Germans often simply get it wrong when they try to use English (handy for cell phone, beamer for projector). But if anything, the term preferences indicate admiration for the culture in question, not the opposite.

[Edited at 2014-08-30 18:56 GMT]

No clear justification has been given for the proposal of dropping the use of Powwow. No explanation was given about why and how American Indians would feel annoyed about the use of Powwow.

Most people who object to its use are more emotional than rational. It is sad.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:40
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Applause Jan 2, 2015

Woodstock wrote:

US website (political), and am on more than casual terms with a number of the Native American members. They have said many times that there is profound resentment among their peoples and tribes regarding the misappropriation of their cultural heritage by non-Indians, including language. Many Native Americans and organizations are in my Twitter feed, and I would be ashamed to announce a "powwow" for translators on Twitter, for example, out of deference to my NA friends. I have always been bothered by the use of the term here, but not enough to bring it up. Therefore I'm very glad that someone finally did.

It's quite obvious that the people here who have no problem with the term don't have any contact to the North American indigenous cultures, and thus are ignorant of the offense it gives. It should be clear by now that it IS deeply offensive to a large group of people to use a term designating a specific type of gathering, sacred or otherwise, for a casual "meet-up" or "get-together" of other cultures. The Indians (and they are fine with that term) I know are deeply spiritual people, and their culture is absolutely sacred to them, especially in view of the fact so much effort was put into destroying it.

I therefore feel strongly that the term should be dropped as soon as possible, and am happy with quite a few of the absolutely acceptable alternatives mentioned.

Applause! Excellent post!

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 03:40
Italian to English
Site staff Jan 4, 2015

I am inclined to agree with Woodstock. It would be interesting to hear the opinions of site staff on the matter.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Discontinue the use of 'powwow'.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »