Powwow: Adelaide - Australia

This discussion belongs to Powwows » "Powwow: Adelaide - Australia".
You can see the powwows page and participate in this discussion from there.

Marcia R Pinheiro
Marcia R Pinheiro
Australia
English to Portuguese
+ ...
More Flexibility Jan 31, 2015

Participants are invited to send their thoughts to the organizer before the event. No limit in terms of space, contents, or anything else.
We can just chat. Apparently, that is what most people are doing in the Powwows. We will decide what to do based on your lines to the organizer.

[Edited at 2015-01-31 01:42 GMT]

axies
axies  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 06:05
English
+ ...
apology: I can't attend Feb 13, 2015

Hi Marcia,
Sorry that I didn’t reply earlier to your emails to the point that I might sound rude to you and anyone else involved in this project.
The ‘’eyes’’ have it! You can see that the number of attendees in your proposal/meeting is very small.
I attended these POWWOW meetings in the past and the same thing happen. No one turned up basically.
Anyway I have to tell you that I can’t make it on Saturday the 21st. It is my birthday on the 20th and the family h
... See more
Hi Marcia,
Sorry that I didn’t reply earlier to your emails to the point that I might sound rude to you and anyone else involved in this project.
The ‘’eyes’’ have it! You can see that the number of attendees in your proposal/meeting is very small.
I attended these POWWOW meetings in the past and the same thing happen. No one turned up basically.
Anyway I have to tell you that I can’t make it on Saturday the 21st. It is my birthday on the 20th and the family has organized for us to go out.
Regarding your Paradigm Shifts Driven by Practice if I may add to the comments:
1. When we are serving our clients in interpreting, however, it is not uncommon to get requests not to relay all that they have said to the other party.

This is true as I experienced it myself. Clients can make life very hard to the interpreter when they make special requests from the interpreter(s) and refuse to answer questions from the other party. I.e. court cases; family law; social security; Insurance claims etc.
In my experience the ‘’interpreter has to interpret and disclose’’ all of what his/her client is saying/has said, as it becomes part of the discussions and therefore is relevant to the case.

2. In practice, however, the longer we work as an interpreter or as a translator, the more we understand how different the skills and the tasks of these professionals are.

Working as an interpreter or as a translator both require different language skills and practice is the best ingredient to become one that performs. Of the two, interpreting is the most demanding in terms language spontaneity and quick thinking/reply, with translation being the more accurate and requiring extra sensory perception and less of Google Translator and others, nowadays.
Collapse

Marcia R Pinheiro
Marcia R Pinheiro
Australia
English to Portuguese
+ ...
To Axies: Conversation Feb 14, 2015

I am not so sure as to whether your real name is Axies or not, but this is what I see here, so please forgive me if this is not the right way to address you, but then also please let me know how I can do that properly, OK?

You are already helping by putting your thoughts out there, so thanks for that.

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you!!! Oi, oi, oi... And, for Axies, all or nothing?

Now, you definitely could let us sing happy birthday personally in th
... See more
I am not so sure as to whether your real name is Axies or not, but this is what I see here, so please forgive me if this is not the right way to address you, but then also please let me know how I can do that properly, OK?

You are already helping by putting your thoughts out there, so thanks for that.

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you!!! Oi, oi, oi... And, for Axies, all or nothing?

Now, you definitely could let us sing happy birthday personally in the meeting, is it not?

Nothing like celebrating more than once.

The way things are going, you could probably bring your family and friends to the meeting... .

If you come with them all, we will certainly have a full room, so that you will not feel in the same way you felt in the last time anymore.., .

1. Sometimes they say bad names, and that is when I find it particularly hard to interpret, you know? I think the most difficult times for me are when they offend the other party and that is completely out of the blue, unprovoked, or perhaps when they offend the other party in general, and when they talk (any of the parties) about defecation and urination somehow.

I once served an old male in a medical setting and the doctor asked him if he was passing urine well and also how his bowel movements were. That was the first time I had to interpret such a thing face to face and to an old man.

Psychology entered into the conversation and I felt blocked. I could not find the words I could be saying to make that easy, so that that took me a lifetime and I still blushed and all as I relayed.

2. You seem to agree with what I wrote on my skills table (the first proposal): http://www.amazon.com/Translation-Interpretation-Marcia-R-Pinheiro/dp/150588408X

If you come to the meeting, I can let you take the book for free to read and think about it.
Collapse

Marcia R Pinheiro
Marcia R Pinheiro
Australia
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Cancellation Feb 18, 2015

This Powwow has been cancelled.
Reason: Not enough interest.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Powwow: Adelaide - Australia

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »