Laura Rios (X)
Laura Rios (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 29, 2020

Hi!

I have been translating for 2+ years for a company that never asked for certifications or even past experience translating. I became their lead translator for SP-EN and I fell in love with translating plus the flexibility it gives me to spend time with my growing family.

The company recently ended the contract and I was left with no job. I made the mistake to only work for one company as a freelance and now I am having a hard time finding more companies because the
... See more
Hi!

I have been translating for 2+ years for a company that never asked for certifications or even past experience translating. I became their lead translator for SP-EN and I fell in love with translating plus the flexibility it gives me to spend time with my growing family.

The company recently ended the contract and I was left with no job. I made the mistake to only work for one company as a freelance and now I am having a hard time finding more companies because they ask for education or certificates in this industry and I have none. I have a Bachelor's but it is not related to translation or any part of this field. My question is, what certification am I able to do online that I would be able to add to my resume and give me some credibility? Are there any other certificates besides ATA that you would recommend.

Thank you in advance.

Laura.
Collapse

Nawal Kramer
Nawal Kramer
United States
Spanish to English

Moderator of this forum
List of schools Jul 29, 2020

Hi Laura,

I recommend that you review the approved schools by the ATA at their website here:

https://www.atanet.org/certification/eligibility_approved.php

Many of these schools have post- graduate certifications, which take less than a year (some can be done online), and they are all reputable. Whether or not you choose to get ATA cer
... See more
Hi Laura,

I recommend that you review the approved schools by the ATA at their website here:

https://www.atanet.org/certification/eligibility_approved.php

Many of these schools have post- graduate certifications, which take less than a year (some can be done online), and they are all reputable. Whether or not you choose to get ATA certified or become an ATA voting member, it makes sense to choose a program at a school from this list.
Collapse

Elena Feriani

Katrin Braams
Katrin Braams  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:57
Member (2018)
English to German
+ ...
Translation degree is not absolutely necessary Jul 29, 2020

Many translators don’t have a degree in translation. Often agency clients accept applications from translators who hold a degree in their field of expertise plus can prove a certain number of years in the translation business. Did/will your former client provide you with a letter of recommendation?

This, combined with your B.A. and a cleverly written CV which emphasises your experience in a certain field might get you a foot in the door.

Also, you could try to find d
... See more
Many translators don’t have a degree in translation. Often agency clients accept applications from translators who hold a degree in their field of expertise plus can prove a certain number of years in the translation business. Did/will your former client provide you with a letter of recommendation?

This, combined with your B.A. and a cleverly written CV which emphasises your experience in a certain field might get you a foot in the door.

Also, you could try to find direct clients in your field of expertise. They usually care more about your field-related experience than your translation degree.

I cannot recomment any particular certificate, but there are numerous online courses through which you can obtain a B.A. in translation. But it’s a lengthy and expensive process.

[Edited at 2020-07-29 20:11 GMT]
Collapse

Jorge Payan
Kang Seok Lee
shahitz

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
Local time: 11:57
English to German
In memoriam
Testimonial? Jul 29, 2020

Laura, even if the contract ended, the company you worked for could give you some kind of testimonial or even offer a person who can be contacted by future clients/agencies. This can be a door opener for new clients, particularly in the field or sector this company belongs to. Good luck.

Kang Seok Lee
shahitz

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Certifications for new translator

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »