Need some help with my son's further education - German translators, help, please!
Thread poster: Inez Ulrich
Inez Ulrich
Inez Ulrich  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:10
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
Oct 2, 2020

Hi all,

my son has finished his education as foreign language correspondence clerk this summer and has started his studies at the München Staatsinstitut für die Ausbildung von Fachlehrern (he wants to become a teacher for English and IT). Okay, this has started only at the beginning of September, so it is only a few weeks now, but he says it is not what he expected, no English studies at all, only economics (I didn't even know about that) and that it is all very strange and really
... See more
Hi all,

my son has finished his education as foreign language correspondence clerk this summer and has started his studies at the München Staatsinstitut für die Ausbildung von Fachlehrern (he wants to become a teacher for English and IT). Okay, this has started only at the beginning of September, so it is only a few weeks now, but he says it is not what he expected, no English studies at all, only economics (I didn't even know about that) and that it is all very strange and really boring, and that he doesn't know if he wants to become a teacher at all. He wants to do sth with his languages and thinks about finding a job as a translator or doing translator training at a school/university. I told him to please take a little more time and see if things might change and if not, he is free to change his education. I did the same when I started studying agricultural science and then realized I'd never succeed because of all that chemistry, physics, maths etc. this study program involved. I decided to become a teacher and studies English, French and German. I never went to school, but became a translator in the end.

Now my question is: does any of you have some advice for us? Are there any former foreign language correspondence clerks here who became translators, by doing another study course or just by getting a job where you could work as one? I just want to know the possibilities he has right now and what would be the best steps to take, if he really wants to leave that education?

Thanks so much!!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need some help with my son's further education - German translators, help, please!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »