Off topic: Certification
Thread poster: Rod Rivas
Rod Rivas
Rod Rivas
Chile
Jan 19, 2021

Hello!

Hope everyone is doing well...

I am looking to become a certified translator here in the United States.

I have seen a few Translator Certifications (ATA seems to be very high in prestige), but I am looking if there is any other reliable Translation Certification program that I can get my certification with.

Thank you in advance for all your help!

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:40
German to English
Only ATA Jan 19, 2021

Hi Rod,

Only ATA certification is widely accepted in both the translation industry and by end clients in the US, including government. For example, translations of immigation documents generally have to be certified by an ATA-certified translator. The same applies to many translations of other documents for official purposes, e.g. tax documents, educational qualifications, etc.

There are a few commercial "certification" programs in the US for translators, but they have
... See more
Hi Rod,

Only ATA certification is widely accepted in both the translation industry and by end clients in the US, including government. For example, translations of immigation documents generally have to be certified by an ATA-certified translator. The same applies to many translations of other documents for official purposes, e.g. tax documents, educational qualifications, etc.

There are a few commercial "certification" programs in the US for translators, but they have no real standing.

As far as the US is concerned, ATA certification is the only realistic option, provided you translate in a language direction for which ATA offers a certification exam. However, you should also note that the pass rate for Spanish is pretty low (currently about 12% I understand).
Collapse

Rod Rivas
Rod Rivas
Chile
TOPIC STARTER
thank you! Jan 19, 2021

Thank you for your insight! It was very good information.

I am just looking for a commercial certification at the moment.

After that I'll try the ATA... for now I am not looking to go ATA because (as I understand) it can only be take once a year.

Hence, since I am not required to have the ATA certification (yet) I am looking to be certified still, but maybe with a commercial certification (this is to make the process a bit easier at the beginning) and beg
... See more
Thank you for your insight! It was very good information.

I am just looking for a commercial certification at the moment.

After that I'll try the ATA... for now I am not looking to go ATA because (as I understand) it can only be take once a year.

Hence, since I am not required to have the ATA certification (yet) I am looking to be certified still, but maybe with a commercial certification (this is to make the process a bit easier at the beginning) and begin doing a few translation jobs in the future.
Collapse

Laurent Di Raimondo
Laurent Di Raimondo  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:40
English to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Same in Europe Jan 19, 2021

Hi Rod !

May I reassure you, it's exactly the same certification process here in most European countries, including France where you have to wait at least one year before getting certified by French judicial authorities.

Whatsoever, I wish you the best and good luck.

Laurent

[Modifié le 2021-01-20 06:44 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:40
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Rod Jan 20, 2021

Rod Rivas wrote:
I am looking to become a certified translator here in the United States.

Can you explain to us what you mean by "certified translator"? For how long have you been a translator, Rod?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Certification

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »