OneDocument SL requesting my Proz password?
Thread poster: Edwal Rospigliosi
Edwal Rospigliosi
Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 21, 2019

Is this legit?

Captura

[Editado a las 2019-08-21 08:01 GMT]

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
French to English
Looks suspicious Aug 21, 2019

No client should be asking you to disclose a strictly personal password - it could be a form of "phishing". Are you sure the screen document actually came from OneDocument?

Daryo
Marco Belcastro Bara
Yolanda Broad

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
A feature of proz Aug 21, 2019

My understanding:
If you're already connected to proz on your device/computer, the link (you likely received in an email) will direct you to the invitation without your entering your proz.com credentials.
It's not the agency that ask for your proz credentials, but proz.com.

Philippe

Jorge Payan

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
French to English
Cross-purposes. Aug 21, 2019

Respectfully, Philippe, your construction of the matter is at variance with the information on the prompt screen: the user is prompted to enter his login information, and is manifestly not already logged in.

Hovering over - and not clicking on - the links in the screen will show up any rogue or nonsense addresses.

The proceeding is in any case sufficiently out of the ordinary to warrant caution, as I have urged.

Yolanda Broad

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
@Ian Aug 21, 2019

IanDhu wrote:
...the user is prompted to enter his login information, and is manifestly not already logged in.

Just as respectfully, precisely.
The same happens when you're redirected to a Paypal page to confirm the transaction after making a purchase: If your Paypal account is not "always on", Paypal asks for your credentials, not the selling party. Hence my tentative explanation. I know for a fact that this company uses some proz.com platform, but I've never come across this (proz.com) page, since I am always signed in with proz.com.
The OP can check, first signing in to proz.com the usual way, then clicking the invitation email link, to see if he gets the same behaviour.

I unearthed an mass mail from this company, this is what they use: https://www.proz.com/proz-translation-center

It is also very possible that some hardening change was made and a double ID check is now required to see the "invitation".

IanDhu wrote:
Hovering over - and not clicking on - the links in the screen will show up any rogue or nonsense addresses.

Yes, this will show if anything is out of the ordinary.
In other words: when hearing hoofs, first think of a horse. If after a close look it's not a horse, then think of a unicorn.

But the way it's presented clearly leads to some confusion.

Philippe

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:19
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
It was discussed before Aug 21, 2019

https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_job_systems/314639-onedocument_translation_workspace_powered_by_proz.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

OneDocument SL requesting my Proz password?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »