Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
Is this for real? No Ips are shown any more but codes?
Thread poster: Katalin Szilárd
Daniela Zambrini
Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:56
English to Italian
+ ...
Thank you! Jun 4, 2018

Many thanks Jason,
this is much appreciated!!
Daniela

Jason Grimes wrote:

Showing the general location in place of the IP address is a good idea, thank you. I'll add this.

Thanks,

Jason

TargamaT team
TargamaT team  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Country and city Jun 4, 2018

Jason Grimes wrote:

Showing the general location in place of the IP address is a good idea, thank you. I'll add this.

Thanks,

Jason

I noticed that you started to mention the country of visitor, thank you! I hope that you can enforce your solution to resolve ALL IPs, not some of them as it the case today, and you can mention the city of visitor as it is also important.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
The more specific, the better Jun 4, 2018

TargamaT team wrote:

Jason Grimes wrote:

Thanks,

Jason

I noticed that you started to mention the country of visitor, thank you! I hope that you can enforce your solution to resolve ALL IPs, not some of them as it the case today, and you can mention the city of visitor as it is also important.

Of course, country AND city. Furthermore, in some instances, certain IP ranges are linked to a specific company, and that would also show up on a whois. It would be nice if that could be added as well, whenever it's the case (as that would not violate the GDPR either).

P.S. Basically all the info provided by a normal whois minus the IP should be GDPR compliant... *hint* *hint*

[Edited at 2018-06-04 23:39 GMT]

Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agree Jun 5, 2018

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

TargamaT team wrote:

Jason Grimes wrote:

Thanks,

Jason

Of course, country AND city. Furthermore, in some instances, certain IP ranges are linked to a specific company, and that would also show up on a whois. It would be nice if that could be added as well, whenever it's the case (as that would not violate the GDPR either).

P.S. Basically all the info provided by a normal whois minus the IP should be GDPR compliant... *hint* *hint*

[Edited at 2018-06-04 23:39 GMT]

+1

Helen Shiner
Helen Shiner  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:56
German to English
+ ...
@Jason Jun 5, 2018

Thank you for taking this on board. I also hope you will be able to drill down to the city, too, in line with Google.

Mirko Mainardi
Italy
English to Italian
Not really working Jun 5, 2018

Helen Shiner wrote:

Thank you for taking this on board. I also hope you will be able to drill down to the city, too, in line with Google.

At any rate, on the first page of my "Visitors" tab, out of 20 entries, I can only see 5 with an associated generic country indication...

As I previously mentioned, why not simply give us the whole whois report, without the visitor's IP address, OR even better, without the specific visitor's IP address? Just "pseudonymize" (or whatever) the last three digits and no identification would be possible, EVEN IF you had access to the ISP logs (which we don't, anyway...). A popup window with that info when you click on the "Viewer ID" would do the trick.

P.S. What's the green "Number of times you have posted so far in this thread" I'm seeing? I'm going to repeat this one more time: it's kind of frustrating to see continuous (and unannounced) changes being implemented to a service, especially if you're paying for it. Please, please, PLEASE DO take that into consideration... (and I'm obviously referring to much more substantial and impacting changes which have been implemented recently).

Nataliia Gorina

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Agree Jun 5, 2018

I agree with Mirko's suggestions above, as well as his post-scriptum.

I'd say that continuous, often unannounced changes are not just frustrating, they are alienating.

Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Visitor tab - hasta la vista, baby! Jun 7, 2018

Actually my visitor tab may not work properly.
5th of June at least 25 visitors, 6th of June 1 visitor and today 1 visitor.
Some months ago I had weeks when suspiciously no visitors were shown.... (impossible).
Till the 1st of June a lot of directory visitors, after 1st of June almost none.
Maybe again a new setting was changed without my knowledge ....
Now that ips are not shown either, it is totally useless...

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
Anyone noticed a small detail? Jun 9, 2018

This piece of information in not exactly hiding itself:

"The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (EU) 2016/679 is a regulation in EU law on data protection and privacy for all individuals within the European Union. It addresses the export of personal data outside the EU. ..."

Individuals - NOT businesses!!!

Now, how many individuals will go to look at translators profiles because they need a translation strictly for personal use?
... See more
This piece of information in not exactly hiding itself:

"The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (EU) 2016/679 is a regulation in EU law on data protection and privacy for all individuals within the European Union. It addresses the export of personal data outside the EU. ..."

Individuals - NOT businesses!!!

Now, how many individuals will go to look at translators profiles because they need a translation strictly for personal use? Very few - 99% of visitors looking at Proz profiles would be businesses - so where is the "individual's privacy" supposedly in need of protection???

IOW, what's GDPR got to do with visitors to this site?

And anyway, regarding the tiny minority of "private/non-business" visitors an IP address used to access the web with a personal account crosschecked using the WHOIS service will only reveal who is the ISP (Internet Service Provider) and the location of ISP's registered office - nothing more - not the person's name nor the home address, nothing about this person! IOW knowing where is the central office of the ISP used to access the Net (an ISP that has a least thousands if not millions of clients!) is hardly "personal data" nor even a "personally identifiable information" about the visitor!

IOW, I don't see any "European paranoia" in this story, the only paranoia would be of those over-zealously (mis)interpreting GDPR to create a rather novel concept - "protection of privacy" for business visitors.
Collapse

Katalin Szilárd

Helen Shiner
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Codes Jun 15, 2018

It seems the inclusion of countries alongside these strange codes has ceased. At least, I have no such data in my list of recent visitors. They were pretty sporadic when they did show up.

Would a member of staff please clarify what you are intending here? It is quite useless at present.

@Daryo: I have a considerable number of private individuals (often academics in my case) visiting my profile. I doubt I am the only one.

Mirko Mainardi
Italy
English to Italian
Visitor's country Jun 15, 2018

Helen Shiner wrote:

It seems the inclusion of countries alongside these strange codes has ceased. At least, I have no such data in my list of recent visitors. They were pretty sporadic when they did show up.

Still happening. In my case about 1/4 1/5 of the time...

I reiterate my previous post.

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
You know that only because they contacted you Jun 17, 2018

Helen Shiner wrote:

Would a member of staff please clarify what you are intending here? It is quite useless at present.

@Daryo: I have a considerable number of private individuals (often academics in my case) visiting my profile. I doubt I am the only one.

directly, certainly NOT from the IP address from which they visited your profile;

my whole point being that the IP address from which ANYONE visits your Proz profile will not link to the name nor the address of any private individual - as ALL you can get from what is publicly available to anyone through the WHOIS service will be the name and registered office of the Internet Service Provider they used to get to the Web in order to view your profile, and in few cases maybe the name of their University - absolutely NOTHING MORE, nothing that could be even remotely considered as "personal information" nor "personally identifiable information".

Short version: not showing the IP addresses of those visiting your Proz profile on the grounds that "it's now required by the GDPR" simply doesn't hold any water - even if visitors are individuals.

Nataliia Gorina

Daniela Zambrini
Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Erratic, useless information Jun 18, 2018

The country is very rarely displayed (as Mirko stated, approximately 25% of the times).

Even if it were displayed for every visit, the information - as it appears - is still practically useless.

Country, region and city (and possibily internet provider) are what we need.

Thank you in advance, ProZ.com Staff, for addressing the issue and for replying to this post.

D.

Helen Shiner
Mirko Mainardi
Nataliia Gorina

Helen Shiner
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
@Daryo Jun 19, 2018

You’ll have to take that up with the lawmakers. The GDPR considers an ISP address as personal data whether it is static or dynamic.

Here’s a discussion of the law: https://privacylawblog.fieldfisher.com/2016/can-a-dynamic-ip-address-constitute-personal-data

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
Paying attention to "small technical details" Jun 19, 2018

Helen Shiner wrote:

You’ll have to take that up with the lawmakers. The GDPR considers an ISP address as personal data whether it is static or dynamic.

Here’s a discussion of the law: https://privacylawblog.fieldfisher.com/2016/can-a-dynamic-ip-address-constitute-personal-data

like this part of the text you quoted:

"...Who holds what?

In the AG's opinion (Breyer v Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Case C-582/14, 12 May 2016) the AG stated that if:

an internet service provider ("ISP") has a record of the temporary "dynamic IP address" assigned to a particular user's device (potentially identifiable data);
and
a website provider has a record of the web pages accessed by that dynamic IP address (but no other data that would allow identification of the individual);

this information **combined** could constitute personal data in the hands of the website provider. ..."

notice the "could" and the more relevant "combined" - an IP address from which a website is visited could become part of of a very large dataset combining several sources which all together could become part of "personally identifiable information" about an individual -

now I curious to know which other sources of information (apart from the public WHOIS service) would be available to a Proz member to cross-check and indulge in data-mining to find the exact name and details of an individual visitor to his/her Proz profile?

AFAIK, none.

To make a parallel: unless you have access to the DVLA database, a vehicle plate number in itself says nothing about who is the owner.

Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Horváth McClure

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is this for real? No Ips are shown any more but codes?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »