... report working in at least one language pair listed below. (You have not.)
Thread poster: Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:14
English to Russian
Jun 10, 2020

I tried to apply for this job: https://www.proz.com/translation-jobs/1693895
However it states that I have not, allegedly, "reported working in at least one language pair listed below", even though English to Russian is listed in the job description and I definitely reported working with this pair. What's wrong with my profile settings?
Cheers

Chuxuan Wang
Bilhah Muriithi (X)

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:14
Danish to English
+ ...
... report expertise in one of the following specific fields: Environment & Ecology (You have not.) Jun 10, 2020

There are three criteria and you don't seem to meet all of them. I can't see Environment & Ecology in your profile, so I guess that's the explanation.

Restricted job What does this mean?
The outsourcer has chosen to restrict quoting on this job to those who:
... report expertise in one of the following specific fields: Environment & Ecology (You have not.) [Edit]
... See more
There are three criteria and you don't seem to meet all of them. I can't see Environment & Ecology in your profile, so I guess that's the explanation.

Restricted job What does this mean?
The outsourcer has chosen to restrict quoting on this job to those who:
... report expertise in one of the following specific fields: Environment & Ecology (You have not.) [Edit]
... are freelancers (You are.)

The information you have declared in your profile does not match the necessary criteria set by the outsourcer for quoting on this job

Added: this doesn't explain why it says you haven't reported working in any of the language combinations, though. Hmm. Could be a matter for site support.

[Edited at 2020-06-10 15:03 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Still not clear... Jun 10, 2020

Thank you Thomas for your suggestion, but it seems weird to me because not reporting expertise in Environment & Ecology does not automatically mean that I don't work with the English to Russian pair. Criterion #3 is still ok [... are freelancers (You are.)]
Then why my working with English to Russian translations status depends on whether I work with Ecology or not, and does not depend on whether I am a freelancer or not?... See more
Thank you Thomas for your suggestion, but it seems weird to me because not reporting expertise in Environment & Ecology does not automatically mean that I don't work with the English to Russian pair. Criterion #3 is still ok [... are freelancers (You are.)]
Then why my working with English to Russian translations status depends on whether I work with Ecology or not, and does not depend on whether I am a freelancer or not?
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Indeed – see my update Jun 10, 2020

Stepan Konev wrote:

Thank you Thomas for your suggestion, but it seems weird to me because not reporting expertise in Environment & Ecology does not automatically mean that I don't work with the English to Russian pair. Criterion #3 is still ok
freelancers (You are.)]
Then why my working with English to Russian translations status depends on whether I work with Ecology or not, and does not depend on whether I am a freelancer or not? [/quote]

Correct. It could be a bug. I'd report it to support.

Sheila Wilson

Thao Nguyen
Thao Nguyen  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Vietnamese to English
+ ...
I think you misunderstand the job posting... Jun 10, 2020

Stepan Konev wrote:

Thank you Thomas for your suggestion, but it seems weird to me because not reporting expertise in Environment & Ecology does not automatically mean that I don't work with the English to Russian pair. Criterion #3 is still ok
freelancers (You are.)]
Then why my working with English to Russian translations status depends on whether I work with Ecology or not, and does not depend on whether I am a freelancer or not? [/quote]

I think the company is looking for those who meet all three criteria rather than just one of them. I have seen job postings like this when the company wants to target translators that experienced in quite niche fields. However, in doing so, they might end up receiving no quotes.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
I think you misunderstand my question Jun 10, 2020

Thank you for your input, but again, their wish of me to meet all three requirements does not mean I don’t work with English and Russian.
The third requirement, as I also mentioned above, is still ok. According to this logic it must be not ok either.

Alexander Somin
Alexander Somin
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Support request Jun 10, 2020

Hi Stepan,

I think submitting Support Request should resolve the issue.

Stepan Konev

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jun 10, 2020

Oleksandr Somin wrote:
Hi Stepan,
I think submitting Support Request should resolve the issue.

Thank you Oleksandr (and all other fellow translators who tried to help me too). This is what I am going to do next. If I'm honest, I never used the Support Request feature before which made me think I should just post my problem here. Now I see the correct way Thank you all again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »