Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 11:13
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Sep 7, 2019

On my Windows screen the proz.com page does not adapt to the screen. So if I set the display to 125% I see only about half of the page on my 19" monitor. It would help if I could set the font size higher and keep the display at 100%. When I did html-programming 20 years ago it was normal for a page to adapt to the format of the screen. Nowadays all pages tend to look good only on 16:9 screens, which are not perfect for text management.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:13
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Heinrich Sep 7, 2019

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
On my Windows screen, the ProZ.com page does not adapt to the screen. So if I set the display to 125%, I see only about half of the page on my 19" monitor.

Do you mean you adapt the Microsoft Windows display to 125%, or that you adjust your web browser's zoom to 125%?

When I did HTML programming 20 years ago, it was normal for a page to adapt to the format of the screen.

No, I think when you and I did HTML writing 20 years ago, the browsers that we used were simply more primitive and resized only the text. Also, no-one used CSS positioning back then. Also, back then, 99% of screens were 800 pixels wide at the most.

Zooming only the text was the norm back then, but later came the ability to zoom everything, and then eventually the ability to zoom text only was forgotten, and zooming everything became the norm.

In some browsers you still have to option to zoom text only, if you know where to look.

In Firefox, you have to enable to menu bar. So, in Firefox, click the nav burger in the top right, and select Customize, then at the bottom click Toolbars and put a tick next to Menu Bar. Then click the Done button. You then have a menu bar. On the menu bar, click View > Zoom, and put a tick next to "Zoom text only". Then from then on, zooming in and out (e.g. Ctrl+mousewheel or Ctrl+plus or Ctrl+minus) will affect only the text.

200% zoom *with* text-only zoom:
firefox with text-only zoom

200% zoom *without* text-only zoom:
firefox without text-only zoom

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
... Sep 7, 2019

[Edited at 2019-09-07 10:23 GMT]

Jocelyne Cuenin
Jocelyne Cuenin  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2012)
German to French
+ ...
Thanks, Samuel Dec 13, 2019

Thank you so much for your tips on Firefox. Very kind of you.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 11:13
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Chrome Dec 13, 2019

I had forgotten about this topic. I use Chrome on Win10. I can set the font size to big and get very good readability, but still the main page of Proz.com does not fit into the screen, when zoom is set to 100 %. Instead this forum page is ok.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adjustable font size please

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »