For matters related to payments, access to training sessions and technical issues, please submit a support request for faster assistance.
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Getting Started Part 1 – Translating

This discussion belongs to ProZ.com training » "SDL Trados Studio 2017 Getting Started Part 1 – Translating".
You can see the ProZ.com training page and participate in this discussion from there.

Christine Bieri
Christine Bieri  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:03
German to English
Is Getting Started Part 1 right for me? Oct 30, 2017

Hello,
I'm unsure if this course is right for me. I've been using Trados for 3 years but am self-taught and have LOTS of gaps. I have problems with the proofreading tools, settings, etc. I feel like I only know the basic tools but never learned the system in depth (driving a Mercedes - treating it like a scooter).
I've just gotten a long-term job and really want to have the confidence to go forward.
Looking forward to hearing from you, Christine Bieri

Helen Shepelenko
Helen Shepelenko
SITE STAFF
Is Getting Started Part 1 right for me? Oct 31, 2017

Lesoleil123 wrote:

Hello,
I'm unsure if this course is right for me. I've been using Trados for 3 years but am self-taught and have LOTS of gaps. I have problems with the proofreading tools, settings, etc. I feel like I only know the basic tools but never learned the system in depth (driving a Mercedes - treating it like a scooter).
I've just gotten a long-term job and really want to have the confidence to go forward.
Looking forward to hearing from you, Christine Bieri

Hello Christine,

I believe it's hard to tell which level you should choose, as it's only you who can decide. I would suggest you checking Part 1 and Part 2 topics to be discussed and see what you are familiar with already. Just click on "TOPICS COVERED DURING THE COURSE" to expand the area to see the whole list.

My bests,
Helen

Christine Bieri
Germany
German to English
Is the SDL Freelance software enough for the course? Nov 17, 2017

Although the beginning of the course might be a repeat for me, there are a couple of areas that I don't know. The second half of the program, importing Word, Excell or Power Point documents is something new for me. I think this beginner course will help fill in the gaps I have and prepare me for the Intermediate course.
Another question, however: I have the Freelance license as I am not a full time translator. Is this adequate for the course or is the course based on people using the ful
... See more
Although the beginning of the course might be a repeat for me, there are a couple of areas that I don't know. The second half of the program, importing Word, Excell or Power Point documents is something new for me. I think this beginner course will help fill in the gaps I have and prepare me for the Intermediate course.
Another question, however: I have the Freelance license as I am not a full time translator. Is this adequate for the course or is the course based on people using the full software program. Please let me know. Thank you,
Christine Bieri
Collapse

Christine Bieri
Germany
German to English
full software required for exam Nov 28, 2017

Well - that's disappointing. I had to submit my question three times to get a 5 word answer. Ok - so my freelance software is not adequate to take the exam. Does that mean that the course will cover too many areas that are actually only available with the full software? I've read the course description more than once. Now it's 2 days before the course and I'm none the wiser. I guess I'll have to cancel the course as I'm unwilling to pay the money and spend the time when I'm unsure as to wh... See more
Well - that's disappointing. I had to submit my question three times to get a 5 word answer. Ok - so my freelance software is not adequate to take the exam. Does that mean that the course will cover too many areas that are actually only available with the full software? I've read the course description more than once. Now it's 2 days before the course and I'm none the wiser. I guess I'll have to cancel the course as I'm unwilling to pay the money and spend the time when I'm unsure as to whether it is still relevant to me.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Helen Shepelenko[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Getting Started Part 1 – Translating

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »