Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >
"Mini-contest" launched (on new "beta" contests platform)
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 00:27
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, José Henrique Sep 29, 2012

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

I understand that you are taking the variants issue seriously...

Thanks, José Henrique. That Pt-Br was not included in the list of "languages with sufficient populations" was an oversight.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:27
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Newsletter? Sep 30, 2012

Henry Dotterer wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
As far as I know, there is no monthly Proz.com e-newsletter with info about the latest events and features.

Actually, there is, sent by Jared. Have you not received it?

Erm, nope. What was the subject line?

Samuel

[Edited at 2012-09-30 09:54 GMT]

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:27
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Just out of interest Sep 30, 2012

I understand the problem - easy to provide one text, but a completely different job providing them in countless other languages. But what percentage of members will be excluded from the contest because they only translate into English? Does anyone know?

How about a picture story for us English-target members to 'translate'?

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Approximately 20% Sep 30, 2012

Sheila Wilson wrote:
But what percentage of members will be excluded from the contest because they only translate into English? Does anyone know?

A quick sampling reveals a figure of 20%. I examined a number of languages for the ratio of into-English-only translators versus into-English-also translators. From that very small sample it appears that between 15% and 35% of translators would be excluded from the contest.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Newsletter subscription Oct 2, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:
Henry Dotterer wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
As far as I know, there is no monthly Proz.com e-newsletter with info about the latest events and features.

Actually, there is, sent by Jared. Have you not received it?

Erm, nope. What was the subject line?

Apparently at some point you opted out of receiving the newsletter. No newsletter has gone out regarding the current contest anyway. Something will be included in the next one.

I am going to have contest notifications added to the place in the profile where those are available. Then we can do mailings (more broadly) when we have new contests. A home page promo item will also go up today or tomorrow.

In the meantime, three Afrikaans translations have appeared. Nice job, if it was you bringing them in!

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Voting for the best entry Oct 2, 2012

Henry Dotterer wrote:
In the meantime, three Afrikaans translations have appeared. Nice job, if it was you bringing them in!

Yeah, one of them is me (or am I not allowed to say that?).

Anyway, would I be able to vote for the best entry this time, if my entry is the best entry?

Sahadee
Sahadee  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 14:27
English to Thai
+ ...
No Thai pairs in Mini-contest? Oct 11, 2012

With my enthusiastic push, I finished my attempt on 'playing with words' translation, I went to the language pairs list and to my dismay, Thai is not even mentioned in the list. It is a lovely language you know. Thai people loves playing with words too.
Suree

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
I'll try to fix this bug Oct 12, 2012

Thanks for reporting this, Sahadee. I'll try to fix this quickly so that you have a chance to submit before the deadline.

If you have the translation ready, you can also send it to me by email. That way we can be sure it is "in" before the deadline.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Link to use to submit Thai entry Oct 12, 2012

Sahadee wrote:

With my enthusiastic push, I finished my attempt on 'playing with words' translation, I went to the language pairs list and to my dismay, Thai is not even mentioned in the list. It is a lovely language you know. Thai people loves playing with words too.
Suree

Use this link for now: http://www.proz.com/translation-contests/entry/submit?contest_text_id=190&target_lang=tha

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Submission period has ended Oct 12, 2012

Hi folks,

The regular submission period has ended.* Thanks to those who submitted entries. Participation has been very impressive, with over 500 entries received.

The process of preparing for the next stage of the contest involves a not insignificant amount of manual effort on the part of site staff. For this reason everything will be frozen for a few days. The possibility to rate translations, or vote for the best entries, will be turned on some time next week. We'll s
... See more
Hi folks,

The regular submission period has ended.* Thanks to those who submitted entries. Participation has been very impressive, with over 500 entries received.

The process of preparing for the next stage of the contest involves a not insignificant amount of manual effort on the part of site staff. For this reason everything will be frozen for a few days. The possibility to rate translations, or vote for the best entries, will be turned on some time next week. We'll send out notifications to all participants at that time.

During this "pause" period, I would ask that you refrain from discussing anything specific (and linguistic) about the current contest. Please don't discuss the source text, the translation challenges you faced, etc. There will be time for that once we start the next phase.

(* One note: it is likely that the submission period will be extended in most of the pairs that have just one or two entries.)
Collapse

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 07:27
English to Hebrew
+ ...
A participant can rate their own entry Oct 23, 2012

Is this by design? If so, what is the reasoning behind it? This creates an opening for potential prejudice and bias that can skew the results.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Oct 24, 2012

Shai Nave wrote:

Is this by design? If so, what is the reasoning behind it? This creates an opening for potential prejudice and bias that can skew the results.

The way "finals" round voting works is that you can pick what you regard as the best, second best and third best entries. 4 points are assigned to the one you rank first, 2 to the one you rank second, and 1 to the one you rank third.

When you rank your own, the points you give to your own will not apply... but the ones you give to the others will.

The reasoning is that if you could not rank yours in the top three, when you feel that it really is, you might choose to refrain from ranking at all. (This is what we heard from people in previous contests.) So feel free to pick the top three, even if yours is among them, resting assured that you won't be granting any points to your own entry.

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 07:27
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Thank you Henry Oct 24, 2012

Thank you for the clarification. It is now clear why this feature was implemented and what is its purpose.

Roland Nienerza
Roland Nienerza  Identity Verified

English to German
+ ...
the rating is on - and I am lost Oct 24, 2012

It had been explained that this is a Beta version experiment.

One sees indeed that many things are new. But my thumb goes clearly down for this experiment in it's present state. I do not even see the reason why it has been tried at all.

1,- I hacked a lot around to find my own piece in the rating phase. I applied the search function to look for special words. But all I could do was to click on "includuing yours" in the text on the right side. - Before, all entries were
... See more
It had been explained that this is a Beta version experiment.

One sees indeed that many things are new. But my thumb goes clearly down for this experiment in it's present state. I do not even see the reason why it has been tried at all.

1,- I hacked a lot around to find my own piece in the rating phase. I applied the search function to look for special words. But all I could do was to click on "includuing yours" in the text on the right side. - Before, all entries were listed, and one's own was highlighted, even with picture, and marked "yours". - Now one's own entry is out and one cannot see the progress of voting for it.

2,- I cannot consider it otherwise than as a strange joke that one gets first the option to rate the entry as a whole - and then can rate all the entries separately.
This is, sorry Henry, nonsense. - How would this be with a normal prose text, other than isolated witty - or not so witty - sentences like in this source? - Also sentence by sentence? - Well.!? -

The former system was clear enough. - All entries listed in their numbered order - one's own at it's number place, highlighted and not for rate by oneself, but showing the rating as it goes on and always ready for reference. And of course one had, as needed, the possibility to comment on each piece directly in it's entirety as well as any detail in one go. - How many hundreds of years to you think one is going to click to and fro for each sentence separately in order to feed in the comments to the individual sentences of just one single entry?

3,- It comes again and again. - How can one rate "translation" and "accuracy" separately? - How can a piece be "inaccurate" but a "good translation"? - Well, by putting in nice reading fancy stuff that simply is not in source!- Wow!!! ???? -

Well, not "wow". But unprofessional and ridiculous. It is a disgrace for ProZ.com that such a completely unacceptable idea, from a professional translator's point of view,
can even be proposed here in earnest.

The very moment a translation is not "accurate" it simply cannot have the slightest chance any more to be rated as "good", let alone as "very good" or better. All that can be rated are "shades of accuracy" - from accurate but "clumsy and awkward" over "bumpy and grammatically flawed" and all the way up to "precise and elegant". - And there may be some small minusses given for typos, spelling etc. mistakes, even for an otherwise very acceptable translation.

But an "inaccurate" target delivery should never be rated as a "good translation". It simply cannot be.

Roland Nienerza
Collapse

Alexander Onishko
Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
* Oct 24, 2012

Henry Dotterer wrote:

When you rank your own, the points you give to your own will not apply... but the ones you give to the others will.

The reasoning is that if you could not rank yours in the top three, when you feel that it really is, you might choose to refrain from ranking at all. (This is what we heard from people in previous contests.) So feel free to pick the top three, even if yours is among them, resting assured that you won't be granting any points to your own entry.

Hi, Henry! This is one approach But maybe own points should still apply? Everyone will vote for his or her entry as best - but all will be in the same conditions, any way

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Mini-contest" launched (on new "beta" contests platform)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »