Contest entry tagging: is it possible to change tags once you've made them? (Staff: will do)
Thread poster: Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:23
English
+ ...
Jan 21, 2013

Is it possible at all to edit your own tags? Sometimes you thought you highlighted something, and then after you saved the tag you realized that you have, say, only highlighted part of the text you wanted to highlight. Is it possible to correct such errors (say, within x number of minutes, before anyone has commented on the tag, or under some other criteria)?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2013-01-22 14:47 GMT]

vaglo
vaglo
Local time: 03:23
English to Russian
Can I agree to a disagreement about my comment and/or delete my previous comment? Jan 22, 2013

I marked a part of an entry as showing bad grammar. A disagreeing comment was posted. And now I see I was wrong. How can I admit my mistake? Can I post a comment that I agree with this disagreement? So that there would be fewer dislikes,received by this person (i.e. minus my initial wrong one?)

vaglo
vaglo
Local time: 03:23
English to Russian
And vice versa... Can I comment on the author's disagreement with my disliking part of their test Jan 22, 2013

And make my point even clearer?

[Edited at 2013-01-22 13:55 GMT]

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 18:23
SITE STAFF
Tags will be made removable until they have agrees/disagrees Jan 22, 2013

Hello Ambrose and vaglo,

At the moment you cannot edit your tags once they are made, no, but I've just spoken with Matt, one of the site team developers, and he will make it so that you can remove your own tags as long as they have not yet received agrees or disagrees.

In the case of tags which have already received agrees or disagrees, it might be a bit more complicated. On those, for the time being, please put in a su
... See more
Hello Ambrose and vaglo,

At the moment you cannot edit your tags once they are made, no, but I've just spoken with Matt, one of the site team developers, and he will make it so that you can remove your own tags as long as they have not yet received agrees or disagrees.

In the case of tags which have already received agrees or disagrees, it might be a bit more complicated. On those, for the time being, please put in a support request at http://www.proz.com/support/ with the specifics and I or another member of staff will help (be sure to be specific about which tags and where they are, include links, etc.).

Jared
Collapse

Alexander Onishko
Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
Good Idea! Jan 22, 2013

Jared wrote:

Hello Ambrose and vaglo,

In the case of tags which have already received agrees or disagrees, it might be a bit more complicated. On those, for the time being, please put in a support request at http://www.proz.com/support/ with the specifics and I or another member of staff will help (be sure to be specific about which tags and where they are, include links, etc.).

Jared

Hi, Jared! That's good idea!

Also I would suggest to prohibit making negative comments i.e. "dislike" tags without any explanation.

Indeed - some person makes a dislike comment to some word or phrase with the reason "Other" - and what's next? No way to understand. And the negative impression stays.

[Edited at 2013-01-22 15:35 GMT]

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
Tags accompanied with comments can be more meaningful as feedback, agree Jan 22, 2013

Hello Alexander,

Alexander Onishko wrote:

Hi, Jared! That's good idea!

Also I would suggest to prohibit making negative comments i.e. "dislike" tags without any explanation.

Indeed - some person makes a dislike comment to some word or phrase with the reason "Other" - and what's next? No way to understand. And the negative impression stays.

Good idea right back at you! Feedback which falls into the "other" category will be more meaningful if accompanied by a comment. I'll see what can be done.

Jared

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
Update: tags can be removed by tagger until they receive agrees/disagrees Jan 22, 2013

Hi all,

Just an update: you can now delete a tag you have made on an entry until that tag has received an agree or disagree. If you mouse over the tag, you will see a red X to the top right of the tag text to click on to remove it (you will be asked to confirm deletion).

Alexander's suggestion of requiring a comment on a dislike tag when the type of dislike is "Other" will be implemented shortly.

Jared

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
Update 2: tags categorized as "Other" require a comment Jan 22, 2013

Hi again,

Tags which are categorized as "Other" will now require an accompanying comment.

This has been implemented for both dislike and like tags. Please give it a try and let me know what you think of it, or if maybe it would be best to limit this to dislike tags only.

By the way, over 3,000 tags have been created so far today. Thanks to everyone who is providing feedback and helping to determine finalists and winners!

Jared

Ambrose Li
Canada
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tagging your own entries? Jan 22, 2013

While we’re at the subject of tagging and disagreements, I’d also like to suggest that perhaps we be allowed to tag our own entries—only with dislikes of course. Sometimes, after seeing how others have translated the source text or how others have commented in a different language pair, it will become obvious that we have made some terrible mistakes which no one has yet pointed out, so I think in such cases it might be helpful to proactively disagree with our own translation.

Alexander Onishko
Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
No need, I believe Jan 22, 2013

Ambrose Li wrote:

While we’re at the subject of tagging and disagreements, I’d also like to suggest that perhaps we be allowed to tag our own entries—only with dislikes of course. Sometimes, after seeing how ***others*** have translated the source text or how others have commented in a different language pair, it will become obvious that we have made some terrible mistakes which no one has yet pointed out, so I think in such cases it might be helpful to proactively disagree with our own translation.

Dear friend! I believe there is no need for that new feature. Trust me - those "others" whom you mentioned above - they will not need much time to do that for you. They will do it very quickly and with pleasure

Ambrose Li
Canada
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More comments about the critique process Jan 22, 2013

Since we can now remove errant dislikes, should we also consider allowing people to remove errant agree/disagrees? I notice that you can change an agree to a disagree, or vice versa, but not remove it altogether; there’s an inconsistency here and so I think the suggestion to allow outright removals of agrees/disagrees is not entirely unreasonable.

On another note, I found that comments can be silently cut off after pressing the save button. I think this is a real problem, especial
... See more
Since we can now remove errant dislikes, should we also consider allowing people to remove errant agree/disagrees? I notice that you can change an agree to a disagree, or vice versa, but not remove it altogether; there’s an inconsistency here and so I think the suggestion to allow outright removals of agrees/disagrees is not entirely unreasonable.

On another note, I found that comments can be silently cut off after pressing the save button. I think this is a real problem, especially given that we cannot remove our comments/agrees/disagrees.

[Edited at 2013-01-22 23:34 GMT]
Collapse

Ambrose Li
Canada
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Partial agreements Jan 23, 2013

I’m not sure if anyone has brought this up before, but in the case of Omission (or maybe also Mistranslation) sometimes I want to give “partial agreement” (i.e., both an Agree and a Disagree). I wonder if this false dichotomy of “either Agree or Disagree” is skewing the critique in any measurable way.

[Edited at 2013-01-23 00:01 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Contest entry tagging: is it possible to change tags once you've made them? (Staff: will do)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »