Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Is there any way of accessing the old Blue Board or accessing the agencies list in the old way?
Thread poster: Vivien Green
Vivien Green
Vivien Green  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Sep 20, 2017

I was using the Blue Board to help me choose which agencies to apply to and to document those I'd already targeted or rejected. Today I log on to find that I no longer seem able to rank agencies in the same way and so it now seems impossible to see which agencies I have yet to consider and which I have already checked out. Please, please someone tell me this is not the case?! This will create hours and hours of extra work for me if the old ranking system is no longer accessible. Is anyone else i... See more
I was using the Blue Board to help me choose which agencies to apply to and to document those I'd already targeted or rejected. Today I log on to find that I no longer seem able to rank agencies in the same way and so it now seems impossible to see which agencies I have yet to consider and which I have already checked out. Please, please someone tell me this is not the case?! This will create hours and hours of extra work for me if the old ranking system is no longer accessible. Is anyone else in the same position?Collapse

..... (X)
..... (X)
Local time: 08:51
Sorting Sep 20, 2017

Vivien Green wrote:

I was using the Blue Board to help me choose which agencies to apply to and to document those I'd already targeted or rejected. Today I log on to find that I no longer seem able to rank agencies in the same way and so it now seems impossible to see which agencies I have yet to consider and which I have already checked out. Please, please someone tell me this is not the case?! This will create hours and hours of extra work for me if the old ranking system is no longer accessible. Is anyone else in the same position?

Hi Vivien,

Could you give me an example of how you were ranking the agencies?

With the updated Blue Board you can search by outsourcer name, country, ProZ.com primary profile name (or even date). You can also click on the heading of a column to sort that column. Clicking again will sort the column in the reverse direction. If you hold shift and click another column you can sort by a secondary column (for example, clicking Avg. LWA first to sort descending by that and then holding shift and clicking 'Entries' to do a secondary sort by that).

Here are some examples:

Search: "Translation United States"

This will return all outsourcers with the word "Translation" in their name who are based in the United States. If you then click the column heading "Blue Board record" you can search these results in alphabetical order. If you click "Blue Board record" again you can search these results in reverse alphabetical order. If you click the column heading "Avg. LWA" you can search these results sorted by Avg. LWA descending. If you hold shift and click the column heading "Entries" the results will then be secondarily sorted by number of entries (i.e. it will first show all 5's, sorted by number of entries, then all 4.9's sorted by number of entries, etc.)

Search: "Translation United States 2017"

This will return all outsourcers with the word "Translation" in their name who are based in the United States who have had an entry in 2017.

Search: "Translation United States 2017-09-19"

This will return all outsourcers with the word "Translation" in their name who are based in the United States who had an entry on September 19th, 2017.

Kevin

Arkadiusz Jasiński
Arkadiusz Jasiński  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 00:51
German to Polish
Well, Sep 20, 2017

I am in the very same position as you, Vivien. I also got used to using the previous version of this database, feeding my CRM with some data taken directly from BlueBoard records…

… and I have mixed feelings about the new format, too. However, there are some new functionalities, so changing the existing interface couldn't have been avoided, I suppose.

..... (X)
..... (X)
Data Sep 20, 2017

Arkadiusz Jasiński wrote:

I am in the very same position as you, Vivien. I also got used to using the previous version of this database, feeding my CRM with some data taken directly from BlueBoard records…

… and I have mixed feelings about the new format, too. However, there are some new functionalities, so changing the existing interface couldn't have been avoided, I suppose.

Hi Arkadiusz,

Is there any data that you previously had that you can't find in the new version?

Kevin

Arkadiusz Jasiński
Arkadiusz Jasiński  Identity Verified
Poland
German to Polish
No, no, the functionality changes are OK Sep 20, 2017

and they are all for the better, I think. Thank you!

But the look and feel changed, so I need to get used to the new look of my next entries into the CRM

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:51
Japanese to English
+ ...
Accessing Blue Board Sep 20, 2017

If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Vivien Green
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry for leaving this so long... Oct 10, 2017

I really didn't mean to be so rude. I seem to be trying to solve problems on a number of fronts at the moment and for whatever reason this one fell off my radar while I had a few big deadlines looming. Really should have logged on to say thank you to those who responded though. I do appreciate your input!

Any way, to answer your question Kevin:

I want to list agenci... See more
I really didn't mean to be so rude. I seem to be trying to solve problems on a number of fronts at the moment and for whatever reason this one fell off my radar while I had a few big deadlines looming. Really should have logged on to say thank you to those who responded though. I do appreciate your input!

Any way, to answer your question Kevin:

I want to list agencies as follows:

By country - still possible
Highest to lowest LWA - still possible
Starting with the first agencies to be registered on the Blue Board (I think this was how it worked any way). This no longer seems possible and means my old system no longer works.

If it would be at all possible to get my USA list to start with the following agencies in the following order I would be delighted:

Asist Translations / ASIST Translation Services
SH3
Wright Translation (The Wright Translation)

But I don't think this is going to work....Am I wrong? ▲ Collapse

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
French to English
A helpful overview of the sorting features in the current BB Oct 10, 2017

Kevin Dias wrote:

... ranking the agencies ...

With the updated Blue Board you can search by outsourcer name, country, ProZ.com primary profile name (or even date). You can also click on the heading of a column to sort that column. Clicking again will sort the column in the reverse direction. If you hold shift and click another column you can sort by a secondary column (for example, clicking Avg. LWA first to sort descending by that and then holding shift and clicking 'Entries' to do a secondary sort by that).

Here are some examples: ...

Kevin

Thank you, Kevin, your overview of the sorting features in the new Blue Board is very helpful, and I am taking the liberty of copying your material for my own reference. I hope that's acceptable. As the French say, "Vous m'avez bouché un coin" / You really taught me something.

With kind regards,

Adam Warren (IanDhu - Translator 41189)

PS I hope Vivien has successfully cleared her radar screen - I sympathise!

[Modifié le 2017-10-10 16:34 GMT]

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
French to English
A helpful overview of the sorting features in the current BB Oct 10, 2017

Kevin Dias wrote:

... ranking the agencies ...

Here are some examples: ...

Kevin

Thank you, Kevin, your overview of the sorting features in the new Blue Board is very helpful, and I am taking the liberty of copying your material for my own reference. I hope that's acceptable. As the French say, "Vous m'avez bouché un coin" / You really taught me something.

With kind regards,

Adam Warren (IanDhu - Translator 41189)

Vivien Green
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Failed attempt at box quoting! Oct 10, 2017

No idea why the text has come out so enormous!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Vivien Oct 10, 2017

Vivien Green wrote:
I want to list agencies as follows:
... Starting with the first agencies to be registered on the Blue Board.

This is no longer possible. In fact, that data is no longer even available. Until recently I advised new members to start with the most recently added agencies, on the assumption that many of those might be startups, which might mean that they would still need more translators for their database.

My most recent rip of the Blue Board is from 5 January 2017 (21507 entries), so unfortunately quite a few months before the redesign, but you can have it if you think it would be useful. It shows creation dates and country names, so you should be able to sort it to your preferences.

The rip used the public, non-logged in view of the Blue Board, so it doesn't contain any information reserved for paying members. It's a zip file, here, password 3KEZLyAmcgYfsZgv.

The new design of the Blue Board allows one to download the entire list in a single sitting, so perhaps one should simply download the Blue Board every day/week/month and compare the lists each time to see which agencies were added in the mean time.

[Edited at 2017-10-10 20:57 GMT]

Vivien Green
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel Oct 10, 2017

Thanks Samuel - that was so nice of you to post that rip! It might well be very useful, even if it's from January. I take it I can't rearrange the information to sort it though, in that format?

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Vivien Oct 10, 2017

Vivien Green wrote:
I take it I can't rearrange the information to sort it though, in that format?

It's a tab delimited plain text file. You can open it in Excel and sort it. Depending on the settings of the program in which you open it, you may be able to click the links.

[Edited at 2017-10-10 22:24 GMT]

..... (X)
..... (X)
Search by record age Oct 11, 2017

Hi Vivien and Samuel,

You can now search the Blue Board by the date the record was created from this page: https://www.proz.com/blueboard?sp_mode=record_age.

Vivien - for your example you can first type "United States" into the search box and then click on the "Record creation date" column to search the dates in ascending order. This will show all outsourcers based in the USA ordered by when
... See more
Hi Vivien and Samuel,

You can now search the Blue Board by the date the record was created from this page: https://www.proz.com/blueboard?sp_mode=record_age.

Vivien - for your example you can first type "United States" into the search box and then click on the "Record creation date" column to search the dates in ascending order. This will show all outsourcers based in the USA ordered by when their Blue Board record was created.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Thanks, Kevin Oct 12, 2017

Kevin Dias wrote:

Does this page have any inbound links (i.e. can you get to that page by visiting the Blue Board and then clicking somewhere)?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there any way of accessing the old Blue Board or accessing the agencies list in the old way?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »